Overclock.net banner

181 - 200 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
This doesn't add up. If the backplate is hotter than before, that means it's pulling more heat out of the board / mem chips, and the memory should be cooler than before.

Afaik, memory junction temp shows the single hottest chip, so if one chip is making poor contact it will show high temps and throttle, even though most of the chips may be considerably cooler. I would check to make sure all the pads are compressing and making good contact.
This is what I thought to, until I grabbed the card.
The heatsink on top of the backplate is hot as hell now and the throttling has stopped, I will check the contact tomorrow. It's working for now

·
Registered
571 Posts
delet plz

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is what I thought to, until I grabbed the card.
The heatsink on top of the backplate is hot as hell now and the throttling has stopped, I will check the contact tomorrow. It's working for now
What does hwinfo64 say your gpu memory junction is?

·
Registered
24 Posts
What does hwinfo64 say your gpu memory junction is?
Same as gpu-z 108c, which is what it was before I changed the pads, and hence why I did.

I took the backplate off again and there was a small section where the pads were not making contact however this was not directly over the die in the memory chip, I tried using 1.5mm pads but as artic discovered this bowed the backplate and I lost cooling due to lack of extra heatsink contact. So back to 1mm pads, this time I put a dob of thermal paste on both sides of the pad. The fact I'm back to where stock was is frustrating. I haven't done the front side yet, as I don't have enough thermal paste left. And now I have to order more thermal pads, maybe some slightly softer than the Tright ones.

Think im going to bite the bullet and bolt something like this to the backplate. 50.95US $ 2% OFF|COOLTEX 150x80x20mm Pure Copper Heatsink Radiator Skiving Fin Heat Sink for Electronic Chip LED Power Amplifier Cooling Cooler|heat sink|copper heatsinkpure copper heatsink - AliExpress

Really wish nvidia just went to a 512bit bus with GDDR6, this memory temp thing is out of hand

·
Registered
24 Posts
An update, I found another heatsink that fit on top, it dropped another 2c off the memory temp. The more heatsink I put on the top of the card the lower the temp. The backplate is inadequate to cool the GDDR6X memory. At least when mining

·
Registered
838 Posts
Deshrouded my PNY and hooked up two Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000's to drop junction temps from 102c to 92c on a hot tropical day, worst case scenario (25c ambient).

Also took the opportunity to separate the cold plate from the heatsink and saw a couple of tiny thermal pads where the memory contacts are. Replaced these with 0.5mm Thermalright Odyssey pads.

Final set of pads used for the best temps, for a PNY/Gainward 3090, for reference:

Note: You don't need really the most efficient thermal pads for the chokes/VRMs. You mostly just need them to be extremely compressible, hence the Arctic pads.

Front Memory: 1mm Thermalright Odyssey + a layer of Thermalright TFX on top of each chip
Chokes/VRMs: 1.5mm Arctic
Rear Memory: 1.5mm Gelid Extreme
Gap between Cold Plate and Heatsink: 0.5mm Thermal Odyssey
Paste: Thermalright TFX

What a rollercoaster of experiments. I don't think it gets much better than this unless I try some thermal putty, which I feel is an unnecessary expense for me now since I have a whole custom loop on the way which will replace this ghetto setup. But hey, it works.

·
Facepalm
9,883 Posts
Deshrouded my PNY and hooked up two Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000's to drop junction temps from 102c to 92c on a hot tropical day, worst case scenario (25c ambient).

Also took the opportunity to separate the cold plate from the heatsink and saw a couple of tiny thermal pads where the memory contacts are. Replaced these with 0.5mm Thermalright Odyssey pads.

Final set of pads used for the best temps, for a PNY/Gainward 3090, for reference:

Note: You don't need really the most efficient thermal pads for the chokes/VRMs. You mostly just need them to be extremely compressible, hence the Arctic pads.

Front Memory: 1mm Thermalright Odyssey + a layer of Thermalright TFX on top of each chip

What a rollercoaster of experiments. I don't think it gets much better than this unless I try some thermal putty, which I feel is an unnecessary expense for me now since I have a whole custom loop on the way which will replace this ghetto setup. But hey, it works.

View attachment 2487998
The gelid extremes are softer than the Odyssey pads, for you?

·
Registered
838 Posts
The gelid extremes are softer than the Odyssey pads, for you?
They're softer in that I can make my backplate almost completely flat, and the pads would conform to the shape of the chips, whereas there was an obvious hump with the Thermalrights.

Unfortunately not even the Gelids are soft enough to be compressed on the core side. The design of the stock cooler just doesn't allow for much pressure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have both pads in 2mm and the gelids are definitely softer than the odysseys. (15 w/mk gelid vs 12 w/mk odyssey)
The 17 w/mk alphacool pads seem to be harder than either one of those. and don't compress much.

·
Facepalm
9,883 Posts
I have both pads in 2mm and the gelids are definitely softer than the odysseys. (15 w/mk gelid vs 12 w/mk odyssey)
The 17 w/mk alphacool pads seem to be harder than either one of those. and don't compress much.
I was under the impression that the 15 w/k gelids are much harder than the 12 w/mk gelids.
The 15 w/mk is shore 60-70 and the 12 w/mk is shore 35.
By comparison, the Odyssey pads are shore 30-55 (but are clearly harder than the 12 w/mk gelids).
So the 15 w/mk gelids should not be softer than the Thermalright odyssey pads, unless someone is very wrong about the shore ratings.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can confirm the shore values, but the gelids will droop more and are easier to put an imprint on than the odysseys. I know, hardly scientific.
That said, I am currently using gelids on the back of the GPU and the transistors bit into it deeply, I'm surprised to hear they would not be soft enough.

·
Registered
24 Posts

View attachment 2487998
Yep I think the crux of the issue is that the stock backplate and probably even the cooler side memory cooling is simply inadequate to cool the GDDR6X memory.
When mining with a +1200 mem, my PNY draws ~210W on the memory alone, that's ~105W that the backplate is trying to dissipate from the mem alone let alone anything extra from the vrm's. The TDP on an i7 is in that ballpark and look at the HS supplied with them.
I'm trying to decide if I get a heatsink that covers the entire backplate, or maybe drop an AIO water cooler square in the middle of the backplate.
Trying to fit them under my NH-D14 is the issue. I have maybe a 20mm space between the HS and the back of the card.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,660 Posts
To be fair, NVidia wasn't expecting you to be mining with GDDR6X 24/7.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To be fair, NVidia wasn't expecting you to be mining with GDDR6X 24/7.
That’s not a valid argument, video rendering or Folding could cause the same.
A more valid one is Nvidia didn’t expect me to be running memory intensive applications with the memory overclocked 24/7.
Gddr6 was bad enough, 6x has taken it another step. Soon we will have cards with HSF both sides.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme uses 3mm on the vram on the back of the pcb. My two packs of gelid 3mm will arrive tomorrow. The one pack I had is not enough to do it properly!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Stock pads are 3mm and with 2mm I can pull it out from the side.
maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the Aorus Master and Gigabyte OC used the same pads. IDK... but I've seen multiple videos where the 3mm pads caused bowing with the gigabyte GPU's. I repadded with 2mm Grizzlys and then later with 2mm thermalrights and have gotten my temps to 82 degrees so 2mm seems to be perfect, at least with the GB 3090 OC. GL

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme uses 3mm on the vram on the back of the pcb. My two packs of gelid 3mm will arrive tomorrow. The one pack I had is not enough to do it properly!
its 2mm, I've replaced mine with 3mm and the bowing is very noticeable.

181 - 200 of 258 Posts