Overclock.net banner

201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a Strix 3090 that I'll be vertical mounting with a Coolermaster V2 Vertical GPU bracket. I have the Thermalright Odyssey 12.8w/mk pads in the appropriate thicknesses for a Strix 3090.

On the one hand the Vertical GPU mount would allow me to go uglier on the back of the card as its mostly hidden but on the other hand the Coolermaster Vertical mount has a slider frame behind the card. I wanted this bracket as its the most resistant to GPU sag and one can slide the GPU along the horizontal axis which I want so that I can align the Strimer Triple 8 pin RGB cable with a case grommet.

When I get a chance to test fit, this coolermaster bracket frame may be a blessing or a curse. Perhaps theres enough clearance to mount some add-on heatspreaders to the Strix backplate and then mount a 120mm fan to the CM bracket frame. However, it then occured to me that maybe a solution would be to remove the Strix backplate entirely and just add some heatsinsks to the ram modules and vrms etc. ie. complete backplate removal my give me the clearance for heatsinks between the card and the CM bracket frame and in fact the strix backplate maybe detrimental by causing heat-soak from the VRMs back to the Ram modules, and by removing the backplate entirely and giving the ram modules and vrms their own discrete heatsinks no heat transfer between VRM's and ram modules can occur. In other words, this might be a Win/Win situation where backplate removal gives me the space for mounting given my particular choice of Vertical bracket but also improves Memory Junction temps at the same time.

Remember the Vertical GPU mounting hides all this Heatsink/Fan shennanigans going on behind the card.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used 2mm odyssey for both sides for the vram and it worked. 3mm gelid extreme did cause bowing, 2.5mm would be nice to try but I'm not stacking gelid or thermalright pads. Getting way better temps than before.
Before I was getting 78mh/s - 58% power - ~100c.
After I was getting 115mh/s - 74% power - ~96c.
Further testing to be done. I did buy a 150mmx93mmx15mm heatsink to put on the back, curious what that will do!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Strix 3090 that I'll be vertical mounting with a Coolermaster V2 Vertical GPU bracket. I have the Thermalright Odyssey 12.8w/mk pads in the appropriate thicknesses for a Strix 3090.

On the one hand the Vertical GPU mount would allow me to go uglier on the back of the card as its mostly hidden but on the other hand the Coolermaster Vertical mount has a slider frame behind the card. I wanted this bracket as its the most resistant to GPU sag and one can slide the GPU along the horizontal axis which I want so that I can align the Strimer Triple 8 pin RGB cable with a case grommet.

When I get a chance to test fit, this coolermaster bracket frame may be a blessing or a curse. Perhaps theres enough clearance to mount some add-on heatspreaders to the Strix backplate and then mount a 120mm fan to the CM bracket frame. However, it then occured to me that maybe a solution would be to remove the Strix backplate entirely and just add some heatsinsks to the ram modules and vrms etc. ie. complete backplate removal my give me the clearance for heatsinks between the card and the CM bracket frame and in fact the strix backplate maybe detrimental by causing heat-soak from the VRMs back to the Ram modules, and by removing the backplate entirely and giving the ram modules and vrms their own discrete heatsinks no heat transfer between VRM's and ram modules can occur. In other words, this might be a Win/Win situation where backplate removal gives me the space for mounting given my particular choice of Vertical bracket but also improves Memory Junction temps at the same time.

Remember the Vertical GPU mounting hides all this Heatsink/Fan shennanigans going on behind the card.

What do you guys think?
On the backplate I only used thermal pads on the vram. I took the pads off that were on the gpu die and vrms. I personally would keep the backplate on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
On the backplate I only used thermal pads on the vram. I took the pads off that were on the gpu die and vrms. I personally would keep the backplate on.
I'd try a cpu fan on the backplate. I used an AMD prism and got my temps down to 84-86 degress. When I changed it to a wraith I was able to get it to 80-82 degrees. I think its a little cooler than the prism because the fan is pushing air down to the back plate and the fins are in contact.
I'm getting 122 Mh/sec @299W 80 percent fan speed. 57 CPU temp and 80-82 degrees junction temp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd try a cpu fan on the backplate. I used an AMD prism and got my temps down to 84-86 degress. When I changed it to a wraith I was able to get it to 80-82 degrees. I think its a little cooler than the prism because the fan is pushing air down to the back plate and the fins are in contact.
I'm getting 122 Mh/sec @299W 80 percent fan speed. 57 CPU temp and 80-82 degrees junction temp.
View attachment 2488782
I use a cougar conquer case so my gpu in at an angle. Plus the liquid cooler would be in the way.
I'm doing 310W and memory is at +900. Adjusting it to 1200 does nothing, I would have to add more power for the memory to take advantage of the higher clocks. From my testing. Unless there is something I'm missing?

·
Linux Noob
1,149 Posts
Your GPU runs cooler without the GPU and VRM back pads? Are you supplying extra air flow between the backplate and GPU?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your GPU runs cooler without the GPU and VRM back pads? Are you supplying extra air flow between the backplate and GPU?
The vram runs cooler. the gpu core went up in temp. I used kryonaut, probably should have use phobya nanogrease. I knew the gpu core was going to go up. I do have a fan pointed at the backplate.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
I use a cougar conquer case so my gpu in at an angle. Plus the liquid cooler would be in the way.
I'm doing 310W and memory is at +900. Adjusting it to 1200 does nothing, I would have to add more power for the memory to take advantage of the higher clocks. From my testing. Unless there is something I'm missing?
Did u cut back on the core clock? I think I’m at -250 or -300 on the core

·
Registered
571 Posts
This is pretty important. (y)
No, only changed memory. I'm using -250 on core

My evga does the same thing.
Do you guys manually set the lowest voltage point possible (700mV) using the curve editor? What voltage and core clock speed do you normally hit when mining?

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is pretty important. (y)

Do you guys manually set the lowest voltage point possible (700mV) using the curve editor? What voltage and core clock speed do you normally hit when mining?
With msi afterburner my evga can do .725v and gigabyte .719v lowest. They both are around 1-1.1ghz.

·
Registered
571 Posts
With msi afterburner my evga can do .725v and gigabyte .719v lowest. They both are around 1-1.1ghz.
So that's using the power limit slider to lower the voltage by proxy?

I thought all cards could be set to 700mV if you use the curve editor (Ctrl+F) in afterburner.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So that's using the power limit slider to lower the voltage by proxy?

I thought all cards could be set to 700mV if you use the curve editor (Ctrl+F) in afterburner.
I have my evga at 69% and gigabyte at 74% power. With -250 core I pretty much got the lowest voltage I can do. Setting the voltage lock to .700mv would still give my the voltages I listed above ( .725 - .719).

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have my evga at 69% and gigabyte at 74% power. With -250 core I pretty much got the lowest voltage I can do. Setting the voltage lock to .700mv would still give my the voltages I listed above ( .725 - .719).
:unsure: interesting. Been a few years since I've mined. I thought the core clock slider was basically independent of voltage and power draw, since the card will usually ride the power limit when mining.

So keeping the PL the same and setting core offset to 0 will increase the voltage or power draw?

·
Registered
64 Posts
:unsure: interesting. Been a few years since I've mined. I thought the core clock slider was basically independent of voltage and power draw, since the card will usually ride the power limit when mining.

So keeping the PL the same and setting core offset to 0 will increase the voltage or power draw?
Each generation is a little bit different. On my gigabyte card nothing happens when I changed it to 0.

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
View attachment 2488782

Haven't seen so many ghetto cooling mods to this degree on PC's for ages. My 3090 looks similar
These 3090's (all brands) really needed a set of heatpipes that transferred the heat from the rear vram to the main cooler, or to a heatsink in the flow through section at the end of the card.

Anyway, after the results with the Thermalright pads I was going to try ordering a set of copper shims but with the measurements that Artic had supplied that was going to be a sanding expedition on some 0.8mm to bring them down to 0.75mm.
In the end I just decided to order a 50g tub of thermal putty and 10x of these heatsinks with thermal tape for the backplate 1.99US $ |WE DO HEATSINK 2pcs 40x40x11mm Black Anodize Aluminum Heat Sink Radiator With Thermal Pad|aluminum heat sink radiator|heat sink radiatorheat sink - AliExpress

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Hottest I've seen mine get is 76c in games now. Accelero IV backplate (holes drilled where the original backplate screws go and mounted with long spring screws) and a EVGA Hybrid FTW3 waterblock + VRAM plate. I'm happy with that lol.

201 - 220 of 258 Posts