Overclock.net banner

221 - 240 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dropped the memory temp on my watercooled 3080 from 106c to 72c by changing the pads on front and back then adding small heatsinks to the backplate. This is with memory at 21000mhz, core at 1350mhz, voltage at 737mv and power at 70%. Averaging around 95MH/s while mining now. When gaming memory sits around 50c and core around 38c at 1850mhz core and 21000mhz memory. Here's my mining temps after around 4 hours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all! Can anyone try copper shims with water cooling? My memory temp has dropped from 110 degrees to 58 degrees on air cooling. Expect to see temperatures under 50 degrees with a water cooled system owner :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi all! Can anyone try copper shims with water cooling? My memory temp has dropped from 110 degrees to 58 degrees on air cooling. Expect to see temperatures under 50 degrees with a water cooled system owner :)
3090 strix on custom loop here. I still need to improve flow, but it realistically it wouldn't change much.
I am getting around 50 degrees with mp5works and 60 degrees hotspot

·
Registered
64 Posts
I really do want to try copper shims on the memory. Maybe with this summer heat ill try it on my evga. Would 1mm shim +1mm thermal pad be ideal for 2mm?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I really do want to try copper shims on the memory. Maybe with this summer heat ill try it on my evga. Would 1mm shim +1mm thermal pad be ideal for 2mm?
If you’re going the shim route, I’d highly recommend TG-PP10 thermal putty for the sake of compliance.

Say you have a 1.5mm gap, so a 2mm pad compresses 0.5mm. That won’t take too much force to compress. If you put in a 1mm shim and 1mm Pad and try to compress it to 0.5mm, you’re probably going to bend the midplate / backplate or the core won’t have good contact.

EDIT: I made a lil write up on the shim mod

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really wanted to try the shims, however sizing didn’t really go in my favour with the PNY Gaming. Shim sizes are 0.1, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.8, 1 and 1.5mm however I needed 0.75mm for the front side.
So It would either be 0.5mm with some thermal putty or lapping 0.8mm down and using thermal paste. Sure the back side would be ok with 1mm.
In the end I just decided to hell with it and went with thermal putty. Figured it would be easier. The biggest thing is the lack of cooling ability the backplate has.

·
Registered
14 Posts
3090 strix on custom loop here. I still need to improve flow, but it realistically it wouldn't change much.
I am getting around 50 degrees with mp5works and 60 degrees hotspot
Are we talking about memory temperature? At what load and at what overclock you have 50 degrees? What is your memory temperature when mining? Could you show me a screenshot from GPU-Z with all the sensors when mining?

The ideal method would be to measure the actual gaps accurately and make copper shims with thermal paste only. The 1.5mm copper with 0.5mm thermalpad method would also work.

I really wanted to try the shims, however sizing didn’t really go in my favour with the PNY Gaming. Shim sizes are 0.1, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.8, 1 and 1.5mm however I needed 0.75mm for the front side.
So It would either be 0.5mm with some thermal putty or lapping 0.8mm down and using thermal paste. Sure the back side would be ok with 1mm.
In the end I just decided to hell with it and went with thermal putty. Figured it would be easier. The biggest thing is the lack of cooling ability the backplate has.
Wow! What are your temperature results?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are we talking about memory temperature? At what load and at what overclock you have 50 degrees? What is your memory temperature when mining? Could you show me a screenshot from GPU-Z with all the sensors when mining?

The ideal method would be to measure the actual gaps accurately and make copper shims with thermal paste only. The 1.5mm copper with 0.5mm thermalpad method would also work.

I will let you know once the putty arrives at the moment with thermal right 1mm on the back and the stock pads on the front, in approximately 28 ambient mining temps with a +1200 mem oc are 106-108 degrees.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Once you spread the heat from the memory die, which ismuch smaller than the plastic package, to the larger surface area of the copper shim, having a ~0.5mm or so gap between shim and cooler isn’t a significant thermal bottleneck. No real reason to get super precise with the shim Thickness, but it would be the best case scenario if they fill the entire gap.

A 1.5mm shim and 0.5mm pad likely will not work in place of a 2mm pad because the gap is smaller than 2mm, probably closer to 1.5mm. A 2mm pad easily compresses to 1.5mm, a 0.5mm won’t compress to 0mm 😄

·
Registered
14 Posts
Once you spread the heat from the memory die, which ismuch smaller than the plastic package, to the larger surface area of the copper shim, having a ~0.5mm or so gap between shim and cooler isn’t a significant thermal bottleneck. No real reason to get super precise with the shim Thickness, but it would be the best case scenario if they fill the entire gap.
I completely agree with you, the difference between copper only and copper with 0.5mm gasket will be minimal. It's more a problem of my unhealthy perfectionism. :D

A 1.5mm shim and 0.5mm pad likely will not work in place of a 2mm pad because the gap is smaller than 2mm, probably closer to 1.5mm. A 2mm pad easily compresses to 1.5mm, a 0.5mm won’t compress to 0mm 😄
Yes, I was a little wrong in my thought. It would be more accurate to say that for example in the 2mm gap you should put 1.7mm copper and 0.5mm pad. Or better yet use the above mentioned thermal putty

·
Registered
131 Posts

Yes memory. I added another 2 ddc and got a bit more flow, temps went down another 5 degrees.
I haven't tried mining yet and I have reduced temps so much I have to try again to overclock.see where I land. this was running pre-water settings.

So take the following readings with a grain of salt, I have left the previous settings to get a comparison.
Pre water I was getting 100+ degrees on hotspot and 80-90 on memory. These max temps are now with the same settings but on much better cooling.
I'm blown away by how much of a difference it makes for for the GPU. Can't say the same about CPU.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes memory. I added another 2 ddc and got a bit more flow, temps went down another 5 degrees.
I haven't tried mining yet and I have reduced temps so much I have to try again to overclock.see where I land. this was running pre-water settings.

So take the following readings with a grain of salt, I have left the previous settings to get a comparison.
Pre water I was getting 100+ degrees on hotspot and 80-90 on memory. These max temps are now with the same settings but on much better cooling.
I'm blown away by how much of a difference it makes for for the GPU. Can't say the same about CPU.
Thank you for the detailed answer! Your results are very impressive. Have you tried overclocking with such good cooling? What results did you get? Could you test the video card temperature in ether mining at maximum overclocking? I would be very grateful to you.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Here's my temps at the moment. This was playing Division 2 in some raids while bouncing off the power limit the whole time. It barely holds 1915Mhz in this game even on +105 2100Mhz setpoint.

• Rep+
Reactions: Perelom4eshui

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's my temps at the moment. This was playing Division 2 in some raids while bouncing off the power limit the whole time. It barely holds 1915Mhz in this game even on +105 2100Mhz setpoint.
Impressive result! What brand and thickness of thermalpads did you use between the memory and the waterblock? Could you check the temperatures of your card under load by mining? Thank you!

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Impressive result! What brand and thickness of thermalpads did you use between the memory and the waterblock? Could you check the temperatures of your card under load by mining? Thank you!
I use a EVGA Hybrid FTW3 waterblock with the included VRAM plate and pads and a Arctic Accelero IV backplate also with its included pads.

The EVGA Hybrid XC3 and FTW3 blocks will ft any model 3080 including the VRAM plate as the layout of the core and memory is basically the same on all 3080's. Problem is the VRM blocks and the shroud won't fit so you have to modify something like the stock cooler to make that fit and zip tie a fan to it.

For the VRM I use the stock Gigabyte cooler which after a fan broke I sacrificed to the angle grinder gods and just cut out the VRM portions of the heatsink and put 2 120mm fans on the card blowing over it and over the block + VRAM plate.

It's kinda ghetto but it also looks kinda sexy hehe.

• Rep+
Reactions: Perelom4eshui

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use a EVGA Hybrid FTW3 waterblock with the included VRAM plate and pads and a Arctic Accelero IV backplate also with its included pads.

For the VRM I use the stock Gigabyte cooler which after a fan broke I sacrificed to the angle grinder gods and just cut out the VRM portions of the heatsink and put 2 120mm fans on the card blowing over it and over the block + VRAM plate.

It's kinda ghetto but it also looks kinda sexy hehe.
Can you show your bebe here? :geek:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Can you show your bebe here? :geek:
Sure!

The only thing really annoying me is the stupid Gigabyte 8 pin conversion cables. I might rewire those small straight connectors straight to 2 PCI-E 6+2 cables from my PSU...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Took some thermal images of the back of my 3090 while mining and it definatley paints a picture to say the least.

Even with the large heatsink on the backplate, the area over the memory is ~80C. (ignore the small HS its bare aluminium so its emissivity is low, trust me its just as hot.)

I turned the heatsink to try to cover more of the mem, with marginal results.

·
Registered
64 Posts

So what should I do for a 2mm gap? Add 2 shims and a thermal pad (.5mm shim+1.2mm shim+.5mm thermal pad)? I would be using gelid extreme pads. Maybe I could get away with a gap smaller than 2mm? Thermal pads are only on the vram on the back. Im only doing this mod on the backplate.

·
Registered
571 Posts
So what should I do for a 2mm gap? Add 2 shims and a thermal pad (.5mm shim+1.2mm shim+.5mm thermal pad)? I would be using gelid extreme pads. Maybe I could get away with a gap smaller than 2mm? Thermal pads are only on the vram on the back. Im only doing this mod on the backplate.
I haven't used gelid extreme pads and I can't tell you the exact gap on the back of your card. If you haven't bought the pads yet, I highly recommend TG-PP10. Using pads and shims will make the process harder because a 0.5mm pad has a very limited range of compressibility. The softest pads might compress to 1/2 the original size, higher performance pads are harder and might only compress to ~2/3 of the original size.

If you're concerned about the 10W/mK vs. 12W/mK rating, the real world difference if they were the same thickness, would be minimal if not negligible, but because you can get away with a thicker shim and thinner gap using thermal putty, 10W/mK putty would outperform 12W/mK pads. If you halve the gap, you halve the temp gradient across it.

Either way, only doing this to the rear memory is probably not going to give great results. As many other have shown, the backplates are not sufficient forgetting rid of the heat. If you can dump more of it into the main cooler through the top side mem, you will see much better results.

• Rep+
Reactions: propeldragon
221 - 240 of 258 Posts