Overclock.net banner

241 - 260 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are we talking about memory temperature? At what load and at what overclock you have 50 degrees? What is your memory temperature when mining? Could you show me a screenshot from GPU-Z with all the sensors when mining?

The ideal method would be to measure the actual gaps accurately and make copper shims with thermal paste only. The 1.5mm copper with 0.5mm thermalpad method would also work.

Wow! What are your temperature results?

So, thermal putty arrived and I have changed both front and back on my PNY gaming, interestingly enough the stock pads on the front were 2mm. My cooler didn't have a detachable sub plate and the core/mem plate was a one piece unit with vapour chamber.
The putty was easy to install, no worrying to much about thickness or pad positioning, I just scooped some from the container rolled it into a sausage for the rows of vram, then flattened it out slightly to a thickness greater than the stock pads. cooler went on easily, no fighting to get it to seat etc I removed the cooler to check core contact which was perfect. Simply reshaped the putty and reinstalled. Same applies with the backplate.
I left all the stock vrm/choke/etc pads as is

Mem temps went from 108 to 90, with a 300mhz greater o/c. Now maxed out at 1500 in Afterburner. I was also able to remove some of the heatsinks from the back of the card.
Gaming the card now boosts to 2040Mhz on the core with a 1500MHz Vram clock and sits there locked. I have flashed the gigabyte 390W bios to it.

All in all, highly recommended and will be my go too for thermal pads from now on. It's really that much easier to use.

I still believe that the overall cooling needs work on the gddr6x, but it is new.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
so did u use copper shims as well? 90 degrees seems to be a little hotter than what others are reporting...

·
Facepalm
9,967 Posts
so did u use copper shims as well? 90 degrees seems to be a little hotter than what others are reporting...
Look at his RAM overclock...
+1500 is a LOT higher than what most people can do. That's going to burn some heat.

·
Registered
674 Posts
~108Mh on +2000, after +2500 hashrate drops to 70Mh. Works stable up to +2700
It's not stable if hashrate drops, It's error correction kicking in. It just doesn't cause an outright crash.

• Rep+
Reactions: Perelom4eshui

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not stable if hashrate drops, It's error correction kicking in. It just doesn't cause an outright crash.
I clearly understand that. I just meant that the video driver doesn't crash, but the error correction kicks in. Most 3080 cards I've seen crash on overclocking and no error correction ever happened :)

·
Facepalm
9,967 Posts
Vram overclocking hardly affects my temps.
Probably because you have better cooling than the 3090 FE's "backplate" heat trap.
the front (Core) side of the card's VRAM barely gets warm (below 70C).

·
Registered
674 Posts
Isn't the real mem clock 1/4 or 1/8th of what's reported in AB?

So +1500 = +375MHz?

I think the PNY card that Toopy has, has a larger gap (~2.0mm) between mem and main cooler, compared to most cards. Are 1.5mm pads more typical on other cards?

• Rep+
Reactions: Perelom4eshui

·
Registered
53 Posts
I didn’t as I didn’t have any on hand. Based on the sizes artic posted (0.75mm) on the front side I had given up on the idea.
I was very surprised to see a different size pad on the front side when I opened it up.

PNY have obviously made revisions to the cooler, all in all I’m happy with the results.
Actually I noticed this morning when gaming the mem boosts to 1401MHz (real clock) according to GPU-z so +1708 in AB effectively from stock.

241 - 260 of 281 Posts