Overclock.net banner

161 - 180 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've not noticed any scratching on my 9700K IHS and D15 cold plate but I've seen photos online and its nasty! I am also looking at the Gelid Extreme as that is also locally available in where I live along with the Thermalright TFX, I cant get any information on which paste is more durable.
I haven't used TFX but Falkentyne seems to like it. Can't go wrong with Gelid imo, especially for the price.

• Rep+
Reactions: Falkentyne

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I haven't used TFX but Falkentyne seems to like it. Can't go wrong with Gelid imo, especially for the price.

It is pretty cheap for $6.55 2grams which costs about the same for a 1gram Kryonaut.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
This is why I swear by my Prolimatech PK-3 even tho the 30gr isn't available anymore weirdly enough.

No scratches, super easy to apply / spread as it's quite soft, temps in the top 10, doesn't dry out and can run for 1 year + with no real performance loss.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Has anyone ever figured out the size of screws used on the X bracket for the core? They look like partially threaded screws but aren't spring loaded like most older generations.

I'm in serious danger of stripping a screw soon, which is what's keeping me from disassembling the card again to reapply pads / shims.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Has anyone ever figured out the size of screws used on the X bracket for the core? They look like partially threaded screws but aren't spring loaded like most older generations.

I'm in serious danger of stripping a screw soon, which is what's keeping me from disassembling the card again to reapply pads / shims.
You can use a wide rubber band when you screw/unscrew it, better yet use the correct sized Philips head screw driver to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You can use a wide rubber band when you screw/unscrew it, better yet use the correct sized Philips head screw driver to prevent this from happening.
Yep I'm taking the necessary steps to be careful whenever I do disassemble it, but at this point I already have one screw head that may be stripped soon. Hence I'm looking into a source of replacements this early on just to be safe. Don't want to end up having to pick between drilling on a 3090 or having a non-removable cooler. :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yep I'm taking the necessary steps to be careful whenever I do disassemble it, but at this point I already have one screw head that may be stripped soon. Hence I'm looking into a source of replacements this early on just to be safe. Don't want to end up having to pick between drilling on a 3090 or having a non-removable cooler. :)
You can take the springs off of the regular GPU cooler screws if they're the right length. Got any way to measure the screws? Are they M2?

Are you using the right bit when you take them out? They shouldn't be stripping in the first place 🤔

·
Registered
843 Posts
You can take the springs off of the regular GPU cooler screws if they're the right length. Got any way to measure the screws? Are they M2?

Are you using the right bit when you take them out? They shouldn't be stripping in the first place 🤔
I am using the right bit now, but I suppose my first few attempts early on were mistakes.

I do believe they are M2. And they didn't seem like the regular GPU cooler screws (the unthreaded part is thicker on the new wscrews) I would take a photo but I'm trying to be conservative for now as to when I open up my card, so I'm waiting for my next batch of Gelids and TFX to arrive.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Well, I put a EVGA FTW3 Hybrid cooler on my Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC. Took the gamble on the hole pattern being the same and the VRAM layout being the same and yes, they are. Basically a EVGA 3080 Hybrid cooler will fit any model 3080 including the VRAM plate. Of course the shroud and VRM blocks won't fit but nothing a bit of Akasa thermal tape and a angle grinder can't fix.

Also drilled the Arctic Accelero IV backplate for mounting holes that correspond to the stock backplate mounts so I don't have to zip tie that on anymore.

This all resulted in my VRAM temps now being 70-72c with very minimal fanspeed. Also allowed me to raise the VRAM overclock to +1400 coming from +1250 @ 92c.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Yup. Arctic used that on the Accelero IV and Hybrid models because they don't come with VRAM or VRM heatsinks and this is supposed to cool them by pulling heat through the PCB from the back.

The tape didn't hold tho. Heatsinks too heavy. Well, I sacrificed the stock Gigabyte heatsink to the gods and cut it up so now I have the entire heatsink on the card with the core portion cut out of it to allow the waterblock to fit inside of it. Works a million times better and it mounts with long screws and the small springs that come stock on the card through the backplate as sort of a sandwich. It sits way more flush and doesn't rely on tape and looks way cleaner. Tucks the fans and RGB logo way better as well. Temps are even lower now.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Anyone know the pad sizes for the 3090 aorus xtreme?
same with the 3080 Xtreme, however its going to be 2mm on the backside instead of 3mm as VRAM chips are present.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I haven’t taken my 3090 apart yet (PNY gaming epic yomamma version), but my 2080ti and a 2080 both had pads on the rear of the core and vrms so if they are present I would not leave them out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I haven’t taken my 3090 apart yet (PNY gaming epic yomamma version), but my 2080ti and a 2080 both had pads on the rear of the core and vrms so if they are present I would not leave them out.
I might get some crappy thermal pads and place them on the back instead of leaving empty space. Truth is the backplate on these rtx 3090s is not enough to dissipate the heat off of the vram, let alone the vrm, gpu die, etc.
My aorus is at 60% power limit, 98c vram, 100% fan speed. Getting 81 mh/s
My evga is at 75% power limit, 98c vram, 85% fan speed. Getting 120 mh/s
The evga backplate is only cooling the vram. Do note I have some small heatsinks on my evga, they helped about 4-5c.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I might get some crappy thermal pads and place them on the back instead of leaving empty space. Truth is the backplate on these rtx 3090s is not enough to dissipate the heat off of the vram, let alone the vrm, gpu die, etc.
My aorus is at 60% power limit, 98c vram, 100% fan speed. Getting 81 mh/s
My evga is at 75% power limit, 98c vram, 85% fan speed. Getting 120 mh/s
The evga backplate is only cooling the vram. Do note I have some small heatsinks on my evga, they helped about 4-5c.
Isn't this the truth, I changed out the pads on the backplate this morning, nothing on the rear of the core or vrm so I left them. Started mining and almost straight away it went to throttle city starting at 122Mh. Checked gpuz and it was throttling from thermal which it hadn't done before.
I thought I had the pad thicknesses incorrect and was ready to change them out to the next size up, until I grabbed the card and it almost burnt me the back was so hot. Much hotter than before I changed them.
So the thermal interface was so good that the backplate was becoming heat saturated, I added a 0.5mm thermal pad to the back of an old gpu heatsink and placed it on the back of the card and the thermal throttling has now stopped. I might have to take the backplate off and drill and tap some threads so I can get some pressure on that heatsink.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I thought I had the pad thicknesses incorrect and was ready to change them out to the next size up, until I grabbed the card and it almost burnt me the back was so hot. Much hotter than before I changed them.
So the thermal interface was so good that the backplate was becoming heat saturated,
This doesn't add up. If the backplate is hotter than before, that means it's pulling more heat out of the board / mem chips, and the memory should be cooler than before.

Afaik, memory junction temp shows the single hottest chip, so if one chip is making poor contact it will show high temps and throttle, even though most of the chips may be considerably cooler. I would check to make sure all the pads are compressing and making good contact.

·
Registered
68 Posts
People still don't use hwinfo64? Its like the best!

Would 3 packs of thermalright odyssey 2mm be enough for my aorus extreme (85mm x 45mm)? Is thermalright odyssey the best? I used to use gelid extreme but they seem almost the same.

161 - 180 of 280 Posts