Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rig Advisor
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested to see what this puppy will do?

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Very much so. I feel like the two things I'm most interested in with new GPUs is how they fold and by how much they'll drop the prices of the previous gen's cards.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
Very much so. I feel like the two things I'm most interested in with new GPUs is how they fold and by how much they'll drop the prices of the previous gen's cards.
Agreed, especially the second half of that statement. My 2080ti cranks out some ppd, I wouldn't mind picking another up if the prices drop because of the 3070.

Does the tensor/rtx part of the newer gpus do anything for folding? The new cards may be impressive if it does.

·
I can count to potato
743 Posts
Two things I'm exited to see are Folding performance and Octane render performance on the new series cards. I'm thinking it will be great for [email protected] For things like gaming, Pascal to Turing wasn't a huge leap. However, my 1080 vs 2080 is already a big jump for folding. I'm thinking the 2080 will be an even bigger leap.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts

I have already seen a price drop on Craigslist on several 2080 cards,Average seems to be around $700 as of now.There is one a few hours from me with a EK water block for $700 and it's a ti.Wish I was not trying to build a engine for my truck.I'm thinking it's about time to sell off a few 1060's I have to upgrade to 20xx cards.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
I have already seen a price drop on Craigslist on several 2080 cards,Average seems to be around $700 as of now.There is one a few hours from me with a EK water block for $700 and it's a ti.Wish I was not trying to build a engine for my truck.I'm thinking it's about time to sell off a few 1060's I have to upgrade to 20xx cards.
Similarly I'm thinking about offloading my 960 and 980 from my team comp/24/7 folding rig since TC will probably go through some restructuring and updates once we get going with it again, so higher end gear will be more welcome. Considering replacing my 980 Ti in my sim rig with a 2080 Ti, then folding on the 980 Ti full time. We'll see how pricing and all that plays out though.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Similarly I'm thinking about offloading my 960 and 980 from my team comp/24/7 folding rig since TC will probably go through some restructuring and updates once we get going with it again, so higher end gear will be more welcome. Considering replacing my 980 Ti in my sim rig with a 2080 Ti, then folding on the 980 Ti full time. We'll see how pricing and all that plays out though.
I have a good bit of older cards that could be folding but with power use to ppd I'll stick with my newer cards. I have 3 1060's Sitting waiting on me to put them in a rig for the next FAT.Just currently can't afford the extra power bill involved with 95 plus heat every day.I need to sell off the 3 I have sitting and put that money towards a newer card for better ppd.

·
I can count to potato
743 Posts
I hear you there. I recently picked up a pair of 980ti's to play with and while they cranked out decent PPD, it just wasn't worth the power draw/heat dumped in the room. Going to try and flip them and get a 2060 Super instead.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
Anyone happen to snag a 3080? I know there are some out there, just not sure if any folders got their hands on one.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,336 Posts
Seems like someone on here would have snagged one by now.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Seems like someone on here would have snagged one by now.
Yeah I think one or two guys in the owners club actually managed to snag one but they're not folders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts