Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Zotac 3080Ti Trinity. GPUz says the default 100% power limit is 350W and it can go to max at 110% at 385w. However after I slide it to 110% in Afterburner and confirmed that it's showing 110% in GPUz, it still only pull 350W max. I confirmed this in GPUz max power being capped at 345W at both 100 and 110% limit being set.
Looking through GPUz sensors, the PCIE power cable 1 and 2 draw 149 and 154W respectively while the PCIE slot only draw 49W instead of the max 75W even when set to 110% limit.
Does anyone knows how to make it draw the full 75w?
Thanks in advance!

·
Facepalm
10,065 Posts
So I have a Zotac 3080Ti Trinity. GPUz says the default 100% power limit is 350W and it can go to max at 110% at 385w. However after I slide it to 110% in Afterburner and confirmed that it's showing 110% in GPUz, it still only pull 350W max. I confirmed this in GPUz max power being capped at 345W at both 100 and 110% limit being set.
Looking through GPUz sensors, the PCIE power cable 1 and 2 draw 149 and 154W respectively while the PCIE slot only draw 49W instead of the max 75W even when set to 110% limit.
Does anyone knows how to make it draw the full 75w?
Thanks in advance!
View attachment 2513983 View attachment 2513984 View attachment 2513985
Check the latest beta version of hwinfo64 and have all of the sensors 'expanded' and have "TDP Normalized" showing also. GPU-Z won't help here except to show a limit is being hit.
I suspect it's GPU Chip Power or MVDDC but MVDDC(FBVDD) isn't shown on GPU-Z for your board, and i suspect TDP Normalized% is 110% or higher.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the latest beta version of hwinfo64 and have all of the sensors 'expanded' and have "TDP Normalized" showing also. GPU-Z won't help here except to show a limit is being hit.
I suspect it's GPU Chip Power or MVDDC but MVDDC(FBVDD) isn't shown on GPU-Z for your board, and i suspect TDP Normalized% is 110% or higher.
Will try that but I mean I can see that the PCIE slot is only giving 49W in GPUz sensors.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This is what I got in HWinfo, max in GPUz still stuck at 350W while it should be 385W for that extra 10% 35W

·
PC Evangelist
47,629 Posts
I have seen similar issues with my ASUS TUF RTX 3080. Default is 320W. I can got to 117% = 375W but it never goes there. Sits at like 106-107.

·
Iconoclast
31,337 Posts
Ideally, the card draws as little power from the slot as possible and most modern performance GPUs will average well below 75w from the slot, no matter how much is being drawn from the PCI-E power connectors.

• Rep+
Reactions: nnunn and J7SC

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Ideally, the card draws as little power from the slot as possible and most modern performance GPUs will average well below 75w from the slot, no matter how much is being drawn from the PCI-E power connectors.
It makes sense to max out the 8 pin connectors before sending power through the slot. 90w through the slot can brick the card.

There are ways to shunt the card so the 8 pin connectors pull more power, as they are capable of more than 150w each. This is where you should focus effort.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Will try that but I mean I can see that the PCIE slot is only giving 49W in GPUz sensors.
The PCI-e slot has zero control of how much power the GPU draws from the slot... that's all on the GPU.

If the GPU draws more than the traces in the motherboard can provide, it'll either burn a hole in the motherboard, or hit some form of current protection from your mobo/PSU and your box will shut off.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Seeing the people on the EVGA forum justify cards that are capping 40-50watt under the actual power limit makes me sick. The price of these cards are absurd and these companies are making money hand-over-fist, and people are defending cards that, imo, are defective if they are not capable of reaching their peak power limit while showing power limit as the bottleneck in GPU-Z.

People have lost their ****ing minds. This hobby, and market, has gone completely south.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
@Gogito what are you using to stress test your GPU? My card came with a 520w bios, but it usually pulls 450-500w in games. Quake II RTX and some other demanding apps can make it pull 520w with spikes to 530w. It seems the max power limit of 520w is more of a fuel-cutoff than a targeted TDP. It's there for the spikes in power draw.

Seeing the people on the EVGA forum justify cards that are capping 40-50watt under the actual power limit makes me sick. The price of these cards are absurd and these companies are making money hand-over-fist, and people are defending cards that, imo, are defective if they are not capable of reaching their peak power limit while showing power limit as the bottleneck in GPU-Z.

People have lost their ****ing minds. This hobby, and market, has gone completely south.
Don't read the comments in the EVGA 30 series forum, it is bad for your mental health. Just use the trackers. Here is a summary of what you'll find:
-People obsessed with getting a graphics card and can think of nothing else.
-"Associates" with tens of thousands of dollars worth of EVGA bucks who enable others' obsession in order to shill their Associate's code.
-People complaining about their cards after they buy them instead of calling customer service. Complaining is fine, but at least call customer service first.
-Scalpers posting nonsense to reach 100 posts.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The odd part with my card (3080ti FTW3) is it not only varies even with RTX on or off in CP2077. In the GPU power graph you can see it come up some when I turn off RTX. Then I threw in Kombustor at the end to show it can get to the limit. Benchmarks like Port Royal seem to be just a little lower (than Kombustor). My Zotac 3090 on a 390w bios never shows anything like this. Pretty much always in the 375-390w range.

·
Top kek
3,615 Posts
The PCI-E slot power draw is rated to 75W for PCI_SIG standards.
And i remember i read somewhere, that the Nvidia drivers limit power draw from the PCI-E to 50W.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
It's up to the card to determine how much power is drawn from the PCI-e slot. It's nVidia's design to have it at 50 Watts. Why it's not using the full 380 Watts could be because of the boosting algorithm... Not a demanding enough load, temps too high, not enough voltage (voltage limit), etc.

Did you try Furmark?

• Rep+
Reactions: Formula383

·
Registered
528 Posts
try another vbios or rma the card, power draw from pin1 and pin2 are balenced with pcie power

so the vbios limits are set wrong or it's a hardware problem

pcie power scales with pin1/2, ex it should be 85w when it's 150w from pin1/2 and not 40w like your card

·
Otherworlder
7,535 Posts
it would actually be better if they just didn't pull any power from the slot at all.
the GPU manufacturers not adding more power pins is the problem here when the card is already this expensive, two 12pins for example could provide 600W of power.

·
Registered
528 Posts
it would actually be better if they just didn't pull any power from the slot at all.
the GPU manufacturers not adding more power pins is the problem here when the card is already this expensive, two 12pins for example could provide 600W of power.
xoc vbios on 2x8pin is like that on 3090, at max it pulls 600w+ on my Zotac trinity.

It's designed for 1000w: 100w pcie and 300w per 8pin on 3x8pin kingpin cards which you will not reach, maybe ln2.

something like 100w from pcie and 250w per 8pin on 2x8pin cards

It wouldn't be better to have no pcie slot power. On any power draw, you want multiple DC sources feeding your VRM not less ! On 3090/3080 you have 3 seperate vrm stages to feed(mem, uncore and core)

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd rather it pull beyond 150watt from the PCIE cables than pull over 75watt from the slot..
Pcie slot power comes from the atx connector 2x12v lines.

At the slot, this load is spread equaly on 5 slot traces. Each trace handles about 15w at 75w and 20w at 100w.

Been running 80w-100w on my x570 aorus master / Zotac card, no issue 6months+ now !

·
Registered
683 Posts
Better motherboards? Sure! I'm for it. Part of the reason I buy higher end boards; they're better built. People running cheaper motherboards though.. I dunno.

·
Iconoclast
31,337 Posts
Also note that monitoring software isn't going to catch transients. A 50w limiter usually means spikes well past 75w.

And yes, you can overload an 8-pin PCI-E connector/cable much more readily than you can a slot, especially if it's not a high-end board with supplemental power...which GPU makers are never going to assume.

• Rep+
Reactions: nnunn
1 - 20 of 45 Posts