Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am on my 2nd 3090 FE which buzzes every time the power goes above 250W or so. The fps does not make a difference to the volume of the buzzing but it does make a difference to the pitch.

Buzzing video is here:

The card is in an Aorus x570 Elite with a Corsair RM1000i psu. ( I originally had a Corsair TM850x )
I have also tried it in an Aorus Z390 with a Corsair RM750x psu.

NVDA replaced my original 3090 FE with this but the replacement is making the same noise.

I have seen numerous posts where pads are applied to the LR22 inductors. Have you seen any feedback where the pads have diminished the production of buzzing noises from these cards?

Thx

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,184 Posts
Sounds like coil whine, normal on cards. I want to say half of all the cards I have owned have had coil whine. If I had to pick the 8800GT was the worst then my current 6800XT is a close second.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had fairly noticeable coil whine on my 3090 FE, it’s gone after putting on my alpha cool water block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
As others have stated, it sounds like coil whine. I've read that the coil whine has something to do with the coils on the GPU and the coils on PSU. The more similar they are, the more they 'whine' on the GPU.

Try swapping out your PSU for a different brand, and you may find there is a difference in noise being generated on your GPU.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As others have stated, it sounds like coil whine. I've read that the coil whine has something to do with the coils on the GPU and the coils on PSU. The more similar they are, the more they 'whine' on the GPU.

Try swapping out your PSU for a different brand, and you may find there is a difference in noise being generated on your GPU.
I have tried 3 different PSUs and 2 different motherboard/CPU combinations.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,057 Posts
You stated you tried 3 different corsair PSU's. My suggestion was to try a different brand of PSU. :).
Corsair dont make the units they sell the RMx and RMi is made by CWT and the TXM is made by Great Wall so in a sense he already has tried two different brands

• Rep+
Reactions: alexp247365

·
Registered
182 Posts
The coill whine from my 6900xt has exhibited different frequencies from the three power supplies I've tried with it. If my words implied it could be eliminated, my apologies. I'm suggesting the profile of the coil whine may change, hopefully to something less harsh, by using a different brand of PSU.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,057 Posts
A Super Flower or Seasonic made unit made might make it better or they might not who knows with coil whine
I had a 3070 with coil whine so bad that i sent it back and got a refund

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A Super Flower or Seasonic made unit made might make it better or they might not who knows with coil whine
I had a 3070 with coil whine so bad that i sent it back and got a refund
My 2nd 3090 FE buzzes worse than the 1st and it also does not clock as high and it doesn't underclock at all while the 1st 3090 FE clocked way better and also ran at 0.925V. The 2nd one only works stably at stock speeds.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would be very surprised if the power supply made much if any difference. My experience had been coil whine gets better over time, but very slowly. Changing cooling on mine to a water block made a huge difference on my 3090 FE. I have used a 1000w Corsair PSU that is 15+ years old, and a brand new sea sonic 1200 that I just bought with my FE and noticed no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts