Overclock.net banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10900k / 3090
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Highly recommend Gelid Extreme pads. Pretty much on par with Thermalright Odyssey pads (12 W/mK), but much softer so they compress a lot more and you can get away with using a slightly thicker pad that when compressed conforms better around the shape of your VRAM/VRMs/chokes.

You can tell by how deep the imprints are when you disassemble the card after having applied the pads.
Awesome, they are on amazon so that's perfect.

What you say about them compressing tho - referring to Falken's post above, should I get thicker than the listed pad values, due to the compressing? or does that get taken into account? for eg on the .5mm should I get a 1.0mm as it will compress to .5?

Cheers for your help

·
Facepalm
9,947 Posts
Awesome, they are on amazon so that's perfect.

What you say about them compressing tho - referring to Falken's post above, should I get thicker than the listed pad values, due to the compressing? or does that get taken into account? for eg on the .5mm should I get a 1.0mm as it will compress to .5?

Cheers for your help
First, you don't want a 1.5mm pad compressing down to 1.0mm or a 2mm pad compressing down to 1.5mm. Just get the 1.0mm or 1.5mm instead, respectively, as if you actually need that much compressibility, you probably measured something wrong.

1.5mm compressing down to 1.0mm is a huge 33% reduction in pad space. That's massive. Usually what you expect is something like 1.5mm compressing down to 1.2mm (while with Thermalright Odyssey you may be lucky to get 1.5mm->1.3 at absolute best, and usually 1.5mm->1.4mm).

Second, if you're dealing with the GPU Core side, extra care must be taken. You need to do your own pressure testing on the core, to determine the optimal pads. No one here can answer that or do that for you. While the original pad thicknesses (stock pads) may be known, if they end up compressing a lot, aftermarket pads (Like Odyssey) may not compress enough, which could cause potential hotspot or slow temp degradation issues, in which case buying a very compressible pad like 12 w/mk (not 15 w/mk Ultimates) Gelid Extremes may work extremely well for you.

Probably the best way to test the core pressure professionally is fujifilm "Extreme Low" Prescale. Ultra Low (which is the one sold by Innovation cooling, but seems to be out of stock on Amazon at the moment) also works, although the imprint won't be as solid as Ultra Low is higher PSI rating than Extreme Low, but I'm sure it will work ( IC Contact Test and Analysis Kit – Innovation Cooling )

Extreme low is here, and the best way to get it is to politely request a free sample from them. No idea how that is going to work if you're overseas though.

If this is too hard or too complicated or messy for you to get in your location, then you need to do the 5 small drops of toothpaste method.
Put 5 very small drops of toothpaste in each cardinal position on the GPU core: Middle, top left, top right, bottom left and bottom right, making sure to get the drops as small as possible.
Then test the thermal pads and screw down the heatsink fully, then unscrew and check for spread. If the spread is terrible, there's bad contact pressure on the core. If the spread is complete, you have great pressure but you then have to determine how good the thermal pad imprint is.

Obviously if this is for the backplate, you don't need to do any of that

·
Registered
10900k / 3090
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah ok that all sounds scary and more complex than I thought it would be .. I thought the pads would just compress with the pressure to the correct size ...

Leaving the stock pads is how bad? probably not as bad as me potentially destroying something through ignorance / inexperience ...

perhaps I shouldnt use a 3090 strix in 2021 as a guinea pig =\

·
Facepalm
9,947 Posts
Yeah ok that all sounds scary and more complex than I thought it would be .. I thought the pads would just compress with the pressure to the correct size ...

Leaving the stock pads is how bad? probably not as bad as me potentially destroying something through ignorance / inexperience ...

perhaps I shouldnt use a 3090 strix in 2021 as a guinea pig =\
I told you everything I know already....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Or you could get the pads you think should work and try them on for size, if you see imprints your good. Depending on the pads you get it can get costly quickly though if they don't fit.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Falkentyne I thought thermal pads worked better under compression?
While this is true, even the softest thermal pads can only be compressed so much. You want to have good, solid imprints on your pads meaning they "wrap" around the components you are trying to cool, but not hinder proper core contact.

Another potential issue on highly populated PCBs is, the extra material HAS to go somewhere. It could apply unneeded pressure to neighboring SMD components, which is something to watch out for.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Instead of pads why not use the thermal putty blameless and T.Sharp have recommended? It has a thermal conductivity rating as good as or better than some thermal pads and is easier to apply and you don't have to worry about getting the proper thickness.

The thermal putty they recommend, TG-PP-10 from t-Global, is only available at Digikey though.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts