Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking to do one or the other. I'm looking to spend under $100 on this upgrade. This is for my 2009 Unibody MacBook (2ghz, 2gb RAM, 160GB 5400RPM, OSX Leopard)

SSD:
+Speedy HD
+Less heat
+No noise
+Less power consumption = better battery life
-Pricey
-Small storage capacity (and I don't have a small external HD)
-Not so great longevity

RAM:
+Will make things snappier on my system (comparable to SSD--so I've read on benchmark results)
+Fits the bill
+Prices won't drop significantly in the future

I'm leaning towards the RAM because I figure, bang for the buck, RAM prices won't drop too much more than they already are. Whereas the SSD prices will drop more and more.

Opinions thoughts?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Personally I would go for the RAM upgrade and then wait until the SSD's come down in price a little as it will happen sooner or later

I'm with you on bang for buck with the ram so I would just get that to not break the bank

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

+Will make things snappier on my system

RAM will only help if you have multiple applications or applications with large memory footprints.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
30gb won't do much for you if you download alot of apps or play games. If you only use your mac for documents and browsing the net it'll most likely be better to get the SSD. Keep in mind 30gb gets alot smaller once you install the OS, make sure you have an extra flash drive in handy for saving stuff.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Not so great longevity

how so?

I vote SSD. from a 5400 rpm HDD to an SSD... unless OS X just doesn't know how to utilize an SSD... there should be no comparison to what you'll "notice." The only reason why I would upgrade the RAM in your situation is if you actually need another 2GB. The only thing that would stop me from going with an SSD is if OS X doesn't support TRIM. and I would only ever buy an SSD that has TRIM. And for 100 bucks, you're going to have to wait till the OCZ Onyx becomes available, since that's the only one I know about that supports TRIM and is ~100 bucks.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yawnbox
View Post

how so?

I vote SSD. from a 5400 rpm HDD to an SSD... unless OS X just doesn't know how to utilize an SSD... there should be no comparison to what you'll "notice." The only reason why I would upgrade the RAM in your situation is if you actually need another 2GB. The only thing that would stop me from going with an SSD is if OS X doesn't support TRIM. and I would only ever buy an SSD that has TRIM. And for 100 bucks, you're going to have to wait till the OCZ Onyx becomes available, since that's the only one I know about that supports TRIM and is ~100 bucks.

You can find the OCZ Agility, OCZ Vertex, Patriot PS-100, Kingston V, and a few others for under $100 as well.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaceMaker
View Post

Hey all,

Looking to do one or the other. I'm looking to spend under $100 on this upgrade. This is for my 2009 Unibody MacBook (2ghz, 2gb RAM, 160GB 5400RPM, OSX Leopard)

SSD:
+Speedy HD
+Less heat
+No noise
+Less power consumption = better battery life
-Pricey
-Small storage capacity (and I don't have a small external HD)
-Not so great longevity

RAM:
+Will make things snappier on my system (comparable to SSD--so I've read on benchmark results)
+Fits the bill
+Prices won't drop significantly in the future

I'm leaning towards the RAM because I figure, bang for the buck, RAM prices won't drop too much more than they already are. Whereas the SSD prices will drop more and more.

Opinions thoughts?

I got a better idea. Upgrade your hard drive from a 5400RPM drive to a 7200RPM drive. I saw a 40% increase in performance! Besides, for the same price you can get a 30GB SSD, you can get 4GB of ram and a 500GB 7200RPM drive. So then that means:

New 7200RPM drive (The Hitachi Travelstar 7200RPM 500GB drive is quite and fast!) + more ram =

+ More storage space
+ Snappier overall performance
+ Better read/write speeds

bad:
- slightly lower battery life (I only lost 10 minutes so it was not bad
)
- Maybe more noise but the new drives are quiter than their predecessors.
- Same amount of heat as old drive.

Also, FYI, I cannot hear my new 500GB drive at all! Very quite. Actually, my external drive is louder than it.

My MacBook Pro is fast as hell now. Also, on windows I saw a 15 second drop in boot time because of the new drive

or you can just upgrade to a 250GB 7200RPM drive and save some money. But either way you are better off just going with a faster hard drive than an SSD.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

You can find the OCZ Agility, OCZ Vertex, Patriot PS-100, Kingston V, and a few others for under $100 as well.

I didn't realize they support TRIM. Cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak
View Post

Get an OCZ Vertex - At $129 w/ a $30 rebate they're the best deal on the market right now.

Then get an external enclosure for your current HDD.

And you're good to go.

Wouldn't the Intel 40GB be better?

EDIT: oh. MIR. oh gawd i hate those.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Wouldn't the Intel 40GB be better?

Performance wise, yes. But it's really up to you if you think the 30% increase in price is worth it.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Performance wise, yes. But it's really up to you if you think the 30% increase in price is worth it.

25% increase. Yeah. I'm right.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

View Post

RAM will only help if you have multiple applications or applications with large memory footprints.

I use my MacBook for browsing and documents. Mainly browsing and a few IM programs running. I notice subtle jitters when I have a ton of tabs open. I took note of the reviews on Newegg by people who own MacBooks. They said things became snappier:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231135

Quote:

View Post

[longevity,] how so?

I have read that you can only write to these things so many times before they just die. Not saying its going to last me a year... but I'm not sure how long it will last. That mystery worries me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkuatic
View Post

30gb won't do much for you if you download alot of apps or play games. If you only use your mac for documents and browsing the net it'll most likely be better to get the SSD. Keep in mind 30gb gets alot smaller once you install the OS, make sure you have an extra flash drive in handy for saving stuff.

I download and game on my sig rig and then I will occasionally copy over some media content onto my MacBook to bring with me when I travel with it on the weekends. Wonder how much OSX Leopard uses...

Quote:

View Post

I saw this on Newegg, which of the above is the best? and Onyx (when it comes out)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb
View Post

I got a better idea. Upgrade your hard drive from a 5400RPM drive to a 7200RPM drive. I saw a 40% increase in performance! Besides, for the same price you can get a 30GB SSD, you can get 4GB of ram and a 500GB 7200RPM drive. ...

I don't want more sound, vibration, heat, and power coming from my laptop. I thought about this route, but read that people noted the presence of increased vibration and noise from the MacBook's with the faster HD. I like my MacBook how it is now being silent and cool.

Quote:

View Post

Get an OCZ Vertex - At $129 w/ a $30 rebate they're the best deal on the market right now.

Then get an external enclosure for your current HDD.

And you're good to go.

Well, the external HD kind of blows my whole budget thing... lol. An external enclosure is another $100 give or take... I wouldn't have posted otherwise

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well, the external HD kind of blows my whole budget thing... lol. An external enclosure is another $100 give or take... I wouldn't have posted otherwise

In regard to the longevity question, I have read that you can only write to these things so many times before they just die. Not saying its going to last me a year... but I'm not sure how long it will last. That mystery worries me.

Did you check the link I put up? An external enclosure is only another $20. And that's one of the nicer ones, with both USB and eSATA. You don't need a whole new hard drive, just take the one you're using right now and put it in the enclosure when you remove it.

Don't worry about longevity, these things will last for a very long time. If you wrote 20GB of info per day, it would last for about 5 years.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I didn't realize they support TRIM. Cool.

Not all do... but doesn't matter since his OS doesn't support TRIM anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

View Post

25% increase. Yeah. I'm right.

Nope, 30%.

$129 - $99 = $30. $30 is just over 30% of $99.

Quote:

View Post

Not all do... but doesn't matter since his OS doesn't support TRIM anyway.

So then the Vertex is probably the best option with its garbage collection.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

View Post

Did you check the link I put up? An external enclosure is only another $20. And that's one of the nicer ones, with both USB and eSATA. You don't need a whole new hard drive, just take the one you're using right now and put it in the enclosure when you remove it.

Don't worry about longevity, these things will last for a very long time. If you wrote 20GB of info per day, it would last for about 5 years.

Ah I just saw that, nice. Only con that I really really don't like is the fact that I can't power it via USB
Seems like you need two connections to power this...

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ah I just saw that, nice. Only con that I really really don't like is the fact that I can't power it via USB
Seems like you need two connections to power this...

That has nothing to do with the enclosure, that's determined by your laptop and the hard drive you put in it. They give it to you just in case.

USB spec is for 0.5A of current @ 5V to be delivered. If your laptop can handle that much (which it most likely does, but there are a few exceptions), and the HDD needs less than that (open up the laptop now and check the label on the drive if you want to be sure), then you can go ahead and even cut off that second plug.

The enclosure itself uses a very small, pretty much negligible amount of power as far as USB is concerned.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts