Overclock.net banner

2581 - 2600 of 2600 Posts

·
Overclocker
11,684 Posts
What about the Samsung Odyssey G7? 240hz VA. It looks very good from reviews and would be a nice upgrade to this VA. Probably go with 27" this time though for text sharpness.
Also the Samsung gaming VA monitors have plethora of issues and the latest model seems to be doing even worse than previous ones, still broken firmware or other issues that make it seriously unusable even if you like VA and it's crazy curve:

So anyone hyping the G7... yeah a bit of a reality check is needed haha. The problems have been reported over and over, by people, by reviewers, ...

Samsung still doesn't seem to care, they should release a flat version with all problems removed and easily have way more decent monitor for sell at a lower price and lower manufacturing costs. That is if the blacks viewing angles are better than HG70, if not... pass on that even at 27", way too annoying and distracting in any movies and shows, especially darker ones, their VA glow certainly didn't help either in that situation.

---

@MistaSparkul Who knows what panel Philips will use in an unreleased product. TPV (Philips, AOC, etc.) makes and buys stuff, they have monitors with Samsung VAs, BOE IPS, AUO AHVA, pretty much anything on market.

BDM4037UW, remember that one, a BGR TV VA smear fest in reviews.

I couldn't stand the broken firmware with blur added by LG on the 850G, even if it didn't arrive broken it would have gone back for that alone. People have been urging LG to fix the firmware problems since beginning and no update was ever made. I haven't had the Pixio or other with this panel but they may not have the same firmware blur problem. The 850G... skip it, go for 850F with wider gamut, the loss of saturation from viewing angles is quite brutal on the sRGB models, you may as well get the highest saturation variant.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Right. We don't know what panel that Philips is going to end up using. However, a 60Hz flat VA from TPV already exists and has been used in a previous Philips monitor before:

Perhaps they're just stuffing 144Hz electronics into this same panel, that seems like the easiest route to go with. Response time performance on that panel is below average so they'll have to really work the overdrive if they want anything useable at high refresh.

·
Registered
501 Posts
here is the replacement for this monitor :

• 32-inch IPS 10-bit 144Hz G-Sync panel
  • 4K (3840×2160) resolution 163PPI
  • 1152 zone Mini-LED
  • VESA DisplayHDR 1400 Certification
  • >90% DCI-P3 color accuracy
  • HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4
  • ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur Reduction)

shame about the price :D (probably a placeholder price, but still I would not expect price to be below 2000usd)

edit
horrible contrast tho (1000:1)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
here is the replacement for this monitor :

• 32-inch IPS 10-bit 144Hz G-Sync panel
  • 4K (3840×2160) resolution 163PPI
  • 1152 zone Mini-LED
  • VESA DisplayHDR 1400 Certification
  • >90% DCI-P3 color accuracy
  • HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4
  • ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur Reduction)

shame about the price :D (probably a placeholder price, but still I would not expect price to be below 2000usd)

edit
horrible contrast tho (1000:1)
That monitor has been confirmed by Asus to not have HDMI 2.1 so it's going to be DOA to some people as it's not future proof.

·
Overclocker
11,684 Posts
MSI PS321QR. But that puppy is around 900 USD/EUR similar to previous 32" 1440p144 releases that aren't a cheap VA panel from Samsung or AUO. It being marketed for "creators"/art line/what ever marketing nonsense, doesn't help, they just slap a premium sticker on it. It's in stores, purchasable right now.
Acer XB323UGP
Asus PG329Q
... probably more to come, all seem to be in stores finally.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not necessarily.

This is a much older review from TFTC and so it lacks in depth response time measurements. But based on the few measurements that were taken, the response times of this Philips (TP Vision) panel were not bad at all. Also keep in mind this was with ZERO overdrive enabled. So I say it's possible for Philips to have an "OK" performing panel when it comes to response times, nothing amazing like the Samsung G7 but also not horribly slow either.

View attachment 2462002
I remember that panel. Back in the day it was quite an outlier with it's fast pixel response times (for VA) however a lot of people just returned it due to the PWM controlled backlight used (caused headaches). The 4037 released the following year had serious image retention issues. Their most recent HDR1000 43" also had decent pixel response but also had noticeable dithering as it was actually a TV panel not meant to be viewed from typical 75-80cm monitor viewing distances. With Philips it is usually 2 steps forward 1 step back, they always have 1 big glaring issue.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I remember that panel. Back in the day it was quite an outlier with it's fast pixel response times (for VA) however a lot of people just returned it due to the PWM controlled backlight used (caused headaches). The 4037 released the following year had serious image retention issues. Their most recent HDR1000 43" also had decent pixel response but also had noticeable dithering as it was actually a TV panel not meant to be viewed from typical 75-80cm monitor viewing distances. With Philips it is usually 2 steps forward 1 step back, they always have 1 big glaring issue.
Yeah it seems like those 40"+ monitors are really just using TV panels with either BGR subpixel layouts or other issues. Again this is pure speculation on my part, but I believe it's possible that this new Philips monitor is going to be reusing an existing 60Hz VA panel and then stuffing some 144Hz electronics into it. I checked TFTC's latest panel roadmap article and saw 0 evidence for any new flat high refresh VA panels under development which leads me to believe that reusing an existing panel is going to be the case. I also don't think there is more than a single 32" 60Hz flat VA panel out there which means that this BenQ 32" 4k VA is using the same panel that would theoretically be found in the new Philips model: BenQ EW3270U Review

Response time performance on the BenQ with no overdrive enabled:

So basically, if Philips can take this existing 60Hz flat VA panel, throw some 144Hz electronics into it and give it a decently tuned overdrive setting, then it just might be the upgrade that people who are shopping for a VA are looking for. 32"/4k/144Hz/~3000:1 contrast/ "OK"ish response times.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I've been using this monitor in my rig for 2 years now. If I were to upgrade my GPU, is there a successor to this monitor in terms of 4K 144hz?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was thinking the same thing out of curiosity.
Does anything close to a 32" (or thereabouts) 4K 144hz panel with decent quality and contrast exist? 16:9, ultrawide...

Are we just doomed to wait until some oled technology is developed enough to used for desktop wihtout burn-in worries and doens't cost an arm and a leg, they just don't give a **** outside of TVs and we'll have to wait for years...?

• Rep+
Reactions: hhkb

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
there's new 31.5", 1440p IPS monitors coming from Acer and Asus ( 240Hz for Acer and 175 for Asus ) ...

I'm eyeballing those ...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Oled for PC use is still something I'm not 100% sure on the long run ... but really it's just my lack of knowledge maybe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oled for PC use is still something I'm not 100% sure on the long run ... but really it's just my lack of knowledge maybe.
In the UK at least you can get 5 year cover on burn in from John Lewis. That's what I did, and so I'm not gonna worry about it. I'll report back in 5 years how it went. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't live in apartment big enough (52m2) to use CX48 as my monitor, even in my living room thats the max size of TV that can fit in there without looking comically large and getting in the way of furniture :e

but even if it did fit as a monitor I wouldn't get it - this 32" LG is already the most I can use effectively, anything bigger would mean I would have to run all my apps in windowed mode and centered so I can more easily focus on them without moving my head constantly - yeah I could sit further back but my eyesight isn't what it used to be and running apps like office or playing RTS games with a lot of small text is a nightmare on a TV

·
Registered
37 Posts
The size definitely isn’t without its drawbacks. It would be ideal at like 42” I think for PC usage, although the 48" has grown on me - I'm not sure I'd want to have smaller now. I have mine in a small office (around 5.5 m^2) on an 80cm deep desk. So it’s just over 70cm away from me when using keyboard and mouse, and about 1.6m if I sit back.

For FPS or games where I am using a mouse/kb and am close, I've been experimenting running them at 1440p unscaled, which is basically the same size as this 32". It has worked well and there is also virtually no input lag like this. Running at 4k works too and provides that immersive ultra-wide experience, but I'm not sure I like it so much. Although Doom Eternal was pretty epic when I played it at full 4k with HDR.

For my day job I’m liking it a lot more than the 32”. On Linux the fonts are much clearer than the LG 32" (which has the slight fuzziness to them). On Windows, Cleartype just looks like poop to me always, so it's hard to tell, but I think it's better there as well. The height of the screen is just under a 30" in portrait mode, which is perfect for coding or any task that benefits from portrait mode. It's basically 2.5x 30" in portrait mode stacked next to each other. At around 93 ppi, the 70cm distance is just right as well. I'm using a Linux window manager that lets me easily tile screens so they are centered (PaperWM) and this works great. I'm sure there is something similar in Windows to make it easier to manage your windows (just search up window manager for ultrawides, since it's the same issue for those). There have also been a few times where I had a giant log file to read and I just maximized it, and it was awesome not having to scroll around.

But where the LG really shines of course is when you sit back and watch content, or play immersive single player content on a controller. Then it is absolutely epic. Probably if you just want to do FPS/RTS PC gaming it is not worth it, since if I'm playing Overwatch or something like that competitively, I could care less about perfect blacks and want to run it at 1080p or 1440p. This screen really shines when you are enjoying single player content and want immersion, and can scoot back a bit. Although like I said, I'm finding it really great for productivity work as well, but ymmv.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had a LG 32GK850G for some time and I've really enjoyed it but I am missing HDR support. So, I'm looking for:

1440p
144Hz
32" (31.5")
Flat
HDR (600)
DP 1.4
G-sync compatible
VA panel

Since that doesn't exist and doesn't look to any time soon which is a bummer, I'd by an HDR version of the 32GK850G immediately.

So, I am testing out the Acer XB323U GP, which fulfills all my requirements but is IPS instead of VA.

The IPS glow and loss of contrast is real, especially the corner glow. But, the colors, motion are better and I get legit HDR.
It's a really tough call, the loss of contrast is a drag in dark settings in games, but having the colors and HDR is pretty cool.

Curious suggestions/recommendations for a VA panel with HDR?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I've had a LG 32GK850G for some time and I've really enjoyed it but I am missing HDR support. So, I'm looking for:

1440p
144Hz
32" (31.5")
Flat
HDR (600)
DP 1.4
G-sync compatible
VA panel

Since that doesn't exist and doesn't look to any time soon which is a bummer, I'd by an HDR version of the 32GK850G immediately.

So, I am testing out the Acer XB323U GP, which fulfills all my requirements but is IPS instead of VA.

The IPS glow and loss of contrast is real, especially the corner glow. But, the colors, motion are better and I get legit HDR.
It's a really tough call, the loss of contrast is a drag in dark settings in games, but having the colors and HDR is pretty cool.

Thanks!
I actually want this monitor ...i love the IPS colors.

Some questions, is that monitor DP 1.4? Can it handle 10bit mode at max refresh rate?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

1440p
144Hz
32" (31.5")
Flat
HDR (600)
DP 1.4
G-sync compatible
VA panel

Thanks!
Wait for someone to take the Odyssey G7 panel and not ruin it by bending it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've done a fresh install of windows 10 and have the latest graphics drivers
but I've noticed lately that my screen flickers every few seconds when in windows - I do not notice this issue in games and fullscreen apps, just when desktop is visible

any ideas as to what the issue might be? gsync is only enabled for fullscreen apps

edit
nevermind, its nvidia driver issue with 1080ti

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
drivers, drivers, drivers ... :D

well, I'm still having a hard moment to justify getting off this monitor, how about your guys?

2581 - 2600 of 2600 Posts