Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to get the dfi lanparty ut nf3 250gb. i have also decided, and you can argue this if you will, that a DTR cpu will be a good choice as I have read that with the latest BIOS revision this processor works fine. My question however, is whether or not I should shell out the extra 62 dollars for the 3400 or buy the 3200. I plan to OC on a custom water setup in the next month or so. Currently I will just use air... I know that getting the 3200 to 3400 will be easy but I'm concerned with longtime overclocking... will the 3400 likely oc better or is it not really worth the extra shillings?

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by setite

i am going to get the dfi lanparty ut nf3 250gb. i have also decided, and you can argue this if you will, that a DTR cpu will be a good choice as I have read that with the latest BIOS revision this processor works fine. My question however, is whether or not I should shell out the extra 62 dollars for the 3400 or buy the 3200. I plan to OC on a custom water setup in the next month or so. Currently I will just use air... I know that getting the 3200 to 3400 will be easy but I'm concerned with longtime overclocking... will the 3400 likely oc better or is it not really worth the extra shillings?

You get what you pay for. And after 2 months youll kick yourself if you dont get the 3400.
If you got the extra $62 Spend it.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

You get what you pay for. And after 2 months youll kick yourself if you dont get the 3400.
If you got the extra $62 Spend it.

Ok... now out of curiosity I must ask you why you think I would kick myself. Do you think my overclocks will reflect the price I payed?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Higher multipliers are your friend
On a side note, the C0 revision of ClawHammer hasn't done anything spectacular for overclocking, but the CG revision has. I haven't seen a 3400 DTR that was CG, only 3200, 3000, and 3700. Look for AR at the end of the model number instead of AP

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Higher multipliers are your friend
On a side note, the C0 revision of ClawHammer hasn't done anything spectacular for overclocking, but the CG revision has. I haven't seen a 3400 DTR that was CG, only 3200, 3000, and 3700. Look for AR at the end of the model number instead of AP

oh damn... i didn't expect that the 3400 would all be C0... thats ****ty...

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I'm a little suprised too, maybe it was just at NewEgg though, but it's going to be hard to check the model number on each chip you buy unless you hit a retail store

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

I'm a little suprised too, maybe it was just at NewEgg though, but it's going to be hard to check the model number on each chip you buy unless you hit a retail store

So in that case... it may be better to get a 3200 then, right? I mean the multiplier shouldnt hurt too much? and... you say multiplier is my friend? so is that a yes it is worth the money? if yes, is it a yes period... or only if it is a CG... because i imagine a CG 3200 would beat a C0 3400

·
Banned
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

check this out... on pricewatch

$178 - Amd ama3000bex5ap
$208 - Amd ama3200bex5ap
$275 - Amd ama3400bex5
$275 - Amd ama3400bex5ap
$208 - Amd athlon 64 3200 mobile

would the one without the AP be a CG, likely? or vice versa

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Unfortunately, with overclocking, nothing is assured. Seems like you can't get more than 250MHz with a C0, but people are getting 500MHz with CG's. A higher multiplier could go either way, in the end, if you want the same clock you'll have to run a higher FSB which'll mean you'll need better overclocking memory or just lower the memory ratio. If you can track down a CG 3400 you should go for that, but if you can't a 3200 CG will still top 2.4GHz in most cases, and with water you could even see 2.6GHz

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by setite

check this out... on pricewatch

$178 - Amd ama3000bex5ap
$208 - Amd ama3200bex5ap
$275 - Amd ama3400bex5
$275 - Amd ama3400bex5ap
$208 - Amd athlon 64 3200 mobile

would the one without the AP be a CG, likely? or vice versa