Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, my friend Killerfromsky directed me here, and sorry if I seem to you all as a noob, because well... I am lol.

I'll start with posting everything I have in my PC:

Mb: MSI K8N Neo4
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (CPU-Z called it a Winchester)
RAM: 2GB
Video card: Sapphire x1950xtx
Sound card: Creative X-Fi 7.1 Fatal1ty FPS
HDD: 200GB

Power supply: 350Watt (A-brand)

So, I downloaded some programs like CPU-Z, Speedfan and Orthos like my friend told me, and checked the core temperatures like he said. It was 32c so I thought I could overclock it a bit, and turned the FSB up to 210. All worked fine so he encouraged me to set it to 220.

No boot. Wouldn't load Windows and it even crashed on BIOS setup after like a minute. So, I waited a bit and let it cool down, but it still crashed in BIOS. Then I waited an equal amount of time and quickly went back in to BIOS and put it back to 206 in hyperspeed lol, because it would crash if I let it run too long.

So, now it works again, but he told me to go look at my vcore, which is 1.056V, which he says is very low. Now, I don't have any idea really, but could this be that it crashes because that is so low, and could that be so low because I only have a psu of 350watts? And could it be that my videocard can't run fully with such a low psu?

Kind regards in advance,

Regel.

(btw, if you help me a lot, I'll make you a sig! haha)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that, but which PSU would you suggest then? Antec 550W? And will that actually solve the problem?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Regel
View Post

I was thinking that, but which PSU would you suggest then? Antec 550W? And will that actually solve the problem?

yes, it would solve the problem

*edit*
I haven't told you your vcore was 1.4v, I told you it was supposed to be 1.35-1.4
but you told me it was 1.04 atm...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by killerfromsky
View Post

yes, it would solve the problem

And you suddenly know that now? lol, 15 minutes ago you didn't know.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Well the easy way is to fill in your syatem specs under the user cp at the top of the page... And there are many variables to try first you need to set yuour HT link from auto to x4 , then drop your ram to divider of 166(later this may or may not apply)...I'm thinking the stock vcore is 1.5 so your 1.4 is probably low. Set most of your settings to manual...And after system specs are filled maybe some more help...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dotcomthese
View Post

Well the easy way is to fill in your syatem specs under the user cp at the top of the page... And there are many variables to try first you need to set yuour HT link from auto to x4 , then drop your ram to divider of 166(later this may or may not apply)...I'm thinking the stock vcore is 1.5 so your 1.4 is probably low. Set most of your settings to manual...And after system specs are filled maybe some more help...

Actually, I made a mistake, it's 1.04 o_O

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Quote:

View Post

no, his ram frequency already is 171.6 (he send me his cpu-z .txt)
so no ram divider
and also no HTT link ATM, cuz he only has an ht link of 1030 and the max is like 1080, right?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Well yeh but He's gonna be able to find his high end ht by lowering the multi...You want to start everything low to find the MAX oc on the cpu then adjust other settings, And yes you need to up the vcore...1.04 isn't gonna get you far as you have found out.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well yeh but He's gonna be able to find his high end ht by lowering the multi...You want to start everything low to find the MAX oc on the cpu then adjust other settings, And yes you need to up the vcore...1.04 isn't gonna get you far as you have found out.

i don't think he is gonna oc with that vcore lol
I even think you can't get a 1.04v vcore to a 1.4v vcore?
so a new psu maybe?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killerfromsky
View Post

i don't think he is gonna oc with that vcore lol
I even think you can't get a 1.04v vcore to a 1.4v vcore?
so a new psu maybe?

Some how the vcore was set wrong in the bios....All he needs to do is go into advanced settings in the bios and set the vcore to 1.5

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Some how the vcore was set wrong in the bios....All he needs to do is go into advanced settings in the bios and set the vcore to 1.5

are you sure it is just a setting?
cuz I don't think there is any bios that will let you set the vcore to 1.05?
maybe it's just the psu?

regel:
try highering the vcore in the cell menu off the bios

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Depending on which revision of 3500 he has the stock voltage is 1.35 to 1.4.
For me to run mine at 2.7ghz i had to bump my voltage up to 1.54 , my settings are
my stepping is NBBWE
FSB 300
multi 10
HTT 3
ram 133 but with the fsb up so high its right back at 200
3-3-3-6 timmings 1T
North bridge voltage 1.7
ram voltage is at 2.8

Good luck

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should I first get my new power supply?

• Rep+
Reactions: Fusion Racing

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Regel View Post
Should I first get my new power supply?
well yes it would be worth it. something like the one you posted earlier. the Antec 550W is a good stable powerful psu.

but change your vcore to 1.4v which is stock, and then you can start the overclocking

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusion Racing View Post
well yes it would be worth it. something like the one you posted earlier. the Antec 550W is a good stable powerful psu.

but change your vcore to 1.4v which is stock, and then you can start the overclocking

I can't change the vcore like that with my MSI,
the only setting options I have are:
automatic, +3% +5% .... +15%

And i think regel has the same setting options

1 - 20 of 20 Posts