Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm italian so sorry for my language. i've a problem with my cpu. it is stable at 4.2 from 2 years, now i want take it to 4.5 but there is a problem. i already try to ask in italian's forum.
Pratically the cpu under ibt after the first run (121 gflops in 113 sec, ok i think) begin to "dance" between 4.5 e 3.4ghz (only this 2 frequencies). at 3.4 the vcore drop obviously.
temp are ok, 83 max with 4.5. also in prime, after few minutes, idem. also with 4.4 ghz. at 4.6 with more vcore crash.

the cpu is unlucky, at 4.2 is stable with 1.160 vcore. with 4.5 i put 1.280. the mobo is a asrock z77 pro4 (*****) and ram vengeance 8gb 1600 stock. and a macho cooler. bios is updated and windows 10 mewly installed, no background application

the setting are:
CPU ratio:
all core: 42 (45)
spread spectrum: disabled
Internal PLL overvoltage: disabled
Intel speedstep tech: enabled
Intel turbo boost: enabled
Additional turbo voltage: +0.004v
long duration power limit: 250
short duration power limit: 250
primary plane current limit: 250
secondary plane current limit: 250
gt overclocking: disabled
power saving: disabled

Cpu offset voltage: -0.030v (+0.090 for 4.5)
cpu loadline calibration: 50%

dram voltage: 1.5v

pll voltage: 1.603v

Schermata advanced/cpu configuration

c1e: enabled
c3/c6 support: disabled
intel virtualization tech: disabled
Package C State Support: Disabled

i tried to enable pll, disabled speedstep, llc 100%, c1e disabled, thermal throttling disabled, power limit at 300, but always the same problem, also with 4.4 ghz. at 4.6 with more vcore crash.

BUT i tried at 4.5 play gta5, and the cpu stay always to 4.5 and never crash.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160401/3d20c04a8366ad45eec0af51dd6d9581.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160401/716fdedfe9e7eca70501a66c447b75a0.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160401/bbf712fe1c2f3a7f1d0fe1cde2187c6f.jpg

HELP AND THANK

SO is a chip problem or i'm wrong something.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Settings look good. Raise PLL voltage to 1.7v, it may be too low. Leave PLL disabled. 1.28v should be fine for 4.5GHz, however depending on your chip it may not be enough.

I'd forget prime all together though, personally I'd just use Intel's XTU and if it can pass that then you'll more than likely be fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Settings look good. Raise PLL voltage to 1.7v, it may be too low. Leave PLL disabled. 1.28v should be fine for 4.5GHz, however depending on your chip it may not be enough.

I'd forget prime all together though, personally I'd just use Intel's XTU and if it can pass that then you'll more than likely be fine.
The problem isn't the vcore but the fact that when test the ghz go up and down to 4.5 and 3.4. Even with 1.320 do the same.I already tried pll 1.7 and 1.8.
However i will try intel xtu. Thank

Inviato dal mio m2 note utilizzando Tapatalk

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mist94 View Post

The problem isn't the vcore but the fact that when test the ghz go up and down to 4.5 and 3.4. Even with 1.320 do the same.I already tried pll 1.7 and 1.8.

I'm sorry, I did not understand that in the original post.

If the frequency is fluctuating like that then it could be throttling. How are you measuring temperatures? How are you getting 83C? because if you are truly only hitting 83C on the core temperatures, you should not be throttling.

Alternatively you could try using manual voltage with speedstep and c1e disabled to see if that makes any difference. (assuming you are not throttling)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry, I did not understand that in the original post.

If the frequency is fluctuating like that then it could be throttling. How are you measuring temperatures? How are you getting 83C? because if you are truly only hitting 83C on the core temperatures, you should not be throttling.

Alternatively you could try using manual voltage with speedstep and c1e disabled to see if that makes any difference. (assuming you are not throttling)
Infact seems a temprature problem but it isnt. The temp are ok. I tried to disable thermal throttling but nothing. Also tried c1e disabled but i drop. Vcore mode possible is offset only. With 4.2 i have no problem, never.

But i try play gta 5 with 4.5 and cpu stay always at 4.5 and good temp around 60°C

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:

Infact seems a temprature problem but it isnt. The temp are ok. I tried to disable thermal throttling but nothing. Also tried c1e disabled but i drop. Vcore mode possible is offset only. With 4.2 i have no problem, never.

But i try play gta 5 with 4.5 and cpu stay always at 4.5 and good temp around 60°C

Are you looking at socket temperature or core temperatures? Why is it not possible to use manual voltage mode?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Quote:

Are you looking at socket temperature or core temperatures? Why is it not possible to use manual voltage mode?
The mobo only have offset mode. Is a low budget z77. However this night i will see better all temperature. Maybe the sensor is broken? Its strange because with 4.2 temp in game are 50-60 and ibt 75

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also with thernal throttling disabled the clock and vcore go down.

·
GPU Enthusiast
2,561 Posts
Quote:

May not be an issue, but do you have the w10 power setting set to balanced or high performance? Not that prime should really be affected by the balanced preset (because GTA seems to stay @ 100%), could be something to double check.

If you want a cpu speed and voltage drop with the High Performance preset, just change the minimum processor state to 5% in the advanced settings for power options.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

What board do you have? The VRM's could be throttling the CPU to prevent VRM damage.
Asrock z77 pro4. The vrm temp have to stay under ....?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8000 View Post

Quote:

May not be an issue, but do you have the w10 power setting set to balanced or high performance? Not that prime should really be affected by the balanced preset (because GTA seems to stay @ 100%), could be something to double check.

If you want a cpu speed and voltage drop with the High Performance preset, just change the minimum processor state to 5% in the advanced settings for power options.
Windows on high performance. Gta stay between 40-70% use with 50-60 temp.

I have problem to explain.

My problem is that with ibt or prime or another program to stress the cpu at 100%, the clock go from 4.5 to 3.4, from 3.4 to 4.5, always 100%. But this should not happen.
If i cant stress always at 4.5 i cant know if is stable.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:

You can't monitor the VRM temperatures with software. In your case, the VRM's are the chips underneath the heatsink above your CPU socket. You don't normally see VRM throttling problems on Intel since the chips use significantly less power, so I'm not totally sure if this is the problem or not, but considering the fact that you didn't have the issue with less volts it might be. Try to see if that heatsink is hot or not while you are stress testing, if it is, then put a fan over it or something and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

You can't monitor the VRM temperatures with software. In your case, the VRM's are the chips underneath the heatsink above your CPU socket. You don't normally see VRM throttling problems on Intel since the chips use significantly less power, so I'm not totally sure if this is the problem or not, but considering the fact that you didn't have the issue with less volts it might be. Try to see if that heatsink is hot or not while you are stress testing, if it is, then put a fan over it or something and see if anything changes.
thank you. this seems like a possible cause. i'll try soon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@iinversion

YOU WIN
i put a fan in middle in direction to mobo. But sometimes drop to 3.4 for few seconds yet.

How i can fix? I try put more fan but i dont think i fix.

Exist vrm's fans?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Quote:

You win thank you. Read the post above

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

If you can. try to put the fan directly over the VRM heatsink and see if that makes any difference. Ultimately if trying to cool them down with a fan doesn't help things, you may just need a better motherboard.
Ok thank. However i put a fan behind mobo and one in front and i fix.

Now i have to find the right setting. I finish 5 run ibt at 1.280 but crash 10 run. My cpu is unlucky, i think i have to reach 1.3v

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Good to hear that fixed things. Raise your PLL voltage to 1.7 and keep it there if you haven't already. All of your other settings in the OP looked pretty spot on. What BSOD code are you getting when it crashes? 001? 124? If it's either of those, then yeah you need more voltage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts