Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are alot of threads all around the internet about upgrading right now but yeah I need advice, I have two upgrade-paths in mind and I want to upgrade now. I put all relevant data into the image I attached and also here:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=210612&stc=1&d=1533645125

My upgrade budget is 500€ and I can get both builds for this price. My usecase is strictly gaming, no application-work or streaming at all and I'm looking for maximum longevity/future-proofing, my 3570k lasted me 6 years afterall. Upgrading to a 3770k is also not an option as I need the 3570k and its board and RAM for something else. Games I want to play include Battlefield V, Forza Horizon 4 and future AAA games.

Thanks for help in advance!

Attachments

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Strictly for gaming, the i5-8600K is probably the better option. The majority of games prefer clock speed and Intel is king in this department. The upgrade path with AM4 is pretty irrelevant. You will have upgrade options like the i7-8700K and rumored i7-9700K and i9-9900K.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Currently I have the i5 4690K and an MSI Z97 G45 Gaming.

As time passed i realized I never cared for overclocking. Now I'm waiting for a 2-3 weeks to get an extremely good M/B I found AsRock H370 Fatality Performance for 130Euros with and i5 9600. I'm very excited for the parts I found, especially for the motherboard since it has exactly everything I need and timing was with me this time since i5 comes in 2 weeks. The M/B also has ALC1220 audio Codec, I219 Intel PHY Ethernet, 2 M.2 Slots, USB 3.1 and USB 3.1 Gen2. No unnecessary USB2.

And all these less than 500 Euros/Dollars. All the best parts I could find with less money according to other solutions.

My only regret is, before 4 months I bought a GTX1060GB. Didn't know then when the new GTX1160 would be out, but still happy since I play all my games at ultra ( 1920x1080 ) Vsynced 60FPS.

I dare you to check these 2 parts out. You won't regret it unless you're heavily into overclocking. Also the games you mentioned, this machine will play it without a hitch.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I personally notice a de-sync when running expansion cards on both the south bridge and north bridge when running games. For either platform I would want more PCIE lanes from the processor. AMD offers a nice option with it's 2700X

·
Registered
240 Posts
I personally notice a de-sync when running expansion cards on both the south bridge and north bridge when running games. For either platform I would want more PCIE lanes from the processor. AMD offers a nice option with it's 2700X
2700X with a relatively, appropriately good motherboard it's gonna cost him more than 500 and don't forget the DDR4 RAM that usually Ryzen CPUs work better with the extremely expensive 3200Mhz ones. That's why I didn't propose him the i7 or even i9 CPUs.

I strongly believe the i5 9600 will be good for him for at least 5 years, as long as I have my 4690 and still works like new.

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
2700X with a relatively, appropriately good motherboard it's gonna cost him more than 500 and don't forget the DDR4 RAM that usually Ryzen CPUs work better with the extremely expensive 3200Mhz ones. That's why I didn't propose him the i7 or even i9 CPUs.

I strongly believe the i5 9600 will be good for him for at least 5 years, as long as I have my 4690 and still works like new.
This. So, I recommend this . . .

CPU

https://geizhals.de/amd-ryzen-5-2600x-yd260xbcafbox-a1804460.html

Motherboard

https://geizhals.de/msi-b450-gaming-pro-carbon-ac-7b85-001r-a1858899.html

RAM

https://geizhals.de/g-skill-flare-x-schwarz-dimm-kit-16gb-f4-3200c14d-16gfx-a1590064.html

Not familiar with the intel alternative. Not sure when the intel chips are coming out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions and info, based on everything I decided to grab the 8600k build, it seemed like the safer option for the time being.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Either option would have worked for you. Which processor is better depends on the game, but most games seem to perform better with the i5-8600K. Chances are you wouldn't notice much difference either way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Either option would have worked for you. Which processor is better depends on the game, but most games seem to perform better with the i5-8600K. Chances are you wouldn't notice much difference either way.
Yeah I guess you are right, I'm just hoping I made the right decision for 2021 and beyond. (And why is Overclock again changing my title to "Linux Lobbyist"?)

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
I don't envision much changing in the way of games in three years. Slightly more demand on the video card if anything. Sandy Bridge is still an excellent gaming solution. Coffee Lake should have a similar lifespan, theoretically a bit longer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't envision much changing in the way of games in three years. Slightly more demand on the video card if anything. Sandy Bridge is still an excellent gaming solution. Coffee Lake should have a similar lifespan, theoretically a bit longer.
Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I never in my life have had anything AMD, just once a GPU 7950. I don't know why but I'm not ashamed to admit I'm hardcore Intel's fan. Actually, I don't even consider myself "fan" because for me AMD is as if doesn't even exist.

But for some reason the new Ryzen 2600 with decent M/B which includes ALC 1220 Audio Codec, I219V Intel Phy Ethernert, USB 3.1 Gen 2 and Coolers even on VRMs, I'm starting to find the rig extremely appealing. Unfortunately the new 9000 series of Intel coming out in a couple of weeks and this will make me forget the appealing. As I said above, i5 9600 with AsRock H370 Fatality Performance I find this setup incomparable. With only 2666Mhz DDR4 sticks which are much cheaper than what AMD ( 3200Mhz ) needs.

P.S. By the way, Original Poster didn't you know the new Intel series ( 9000 ) are coming out almost in one and a half week? Why you got now the 8600? As I said I regret getting the GTX1060GB ARMOR OC 4 months ago while we didn't even know when the new GPU will be out and yet you got the 8600 just few days before the new lineup. I could understand getting the 8600 1 month after 9600 given the price of 8600 was considerably down, but now... Strange.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Be sure about that since more and more jump on 4K bandwagon. Even the 1180TI for is not ready for 4K. 4K requires extreme amount of processing. 4K as is well know, 4 times the 1080p requires. Current cards aren't even close to 4 times more powerful than 980Ti for instance. We're getting there of course, just not yet.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Be sure about that since more and more jump on 4K bandwagon. Even the 1180TI for is not ready for 4K. 4K requires extreme amount of processing. 4K as is well know, 4 times the 1080p requires. Current cards aren't even close to 4 times more powerful than 980Ti for instance. We're getting there of course, just not yet.
Are you trying to refute what I said by echoing what I said, but saying it in such a way that makes you look less knowledgeable? Bold move.

Firstly, the majority of gamers are still gaming at 1080p or lower resolution.

Secondly, there isn't even an "1180 Ti" video card available yet so it's a bit silly to comment on the capabilities of a card no one has.

Thirdly, there's plenty of cards that can already handle 4K gaming with acceptable frame rates.

To reiterate my original point, the only change I see with gaming in the next few years is more demand from video cards. Said another way, I expect games to become more graphically demanding. This is completely ignoring resolution as it goes without saying a game that's more graphically demanding at 1080p will obviously be more demanding at a higher resolution. All of this is to say the CPU purchase, which this entire thread is about, will still be relevant in three years and no i5-8600K user should be actively seeking to upgrade in an effort to increase gaming performance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts