Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been tempted about upgrading my 3570K to 6600K setup for a while now. Recently built a 6600K PC for my friend and even more tempted now. But is it worth it? Or are there better alternatives to upgrade to?
6600K + Mobo + RAM would be just about in budget if I sell my secondary PC and have plenty leftover after I sell my current parts.

Also whats the best mobo to get for Z170? I haven't done my research on them yet, I'm not sure if I can afford to put another 250€ on the mobo like I did with this OC Formula, are there any good choices below it that can take 1.52V on the CPU 24/7 without the VRM being on fire?

Suggestions? Ideas? I sort of know my options, or I think I do but I still don't know what to do :S

The signature is a bit old, I run at only 4.7GHz right now, seen some degradation on the CPU, 5.1GHz lasted like 2½ years maybe.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stige View Post

I have been tempted about upgrading my 3570K to 6600K setup for a while now. Recently built a 6600K PC for my friend and even more tempted now. But is it worth it? Or are there better alternatives to upgrade to?
6600K + Mobo + RAM would be just about in budget if I sell my secondary PC and have plenty leftover after I sell my current parts.

Also whats the best mobo to get for Z170? I haven't done my research on them yet, I'm not sure if I can afford to put another 250€ on the mobo like I did with this OC Formula, are there any good choices below it that can take 1.52V on the CPU 24/7 without the VRM being on fire?

Suggestions? Ideas? I sort of know my options, or I think I do but I still don't know what to do :S

The signature is a bit old, I run at only 4.7GHz right now, seen some degradation on the CPU, 5.1GHz lasted like 2½ years maybe.
The upgrade isn't worth it. If you wanted a worthwhile upgrade going to a 5820k/6700k would be it. I just don't see the sense in going from a 4c/4t to a newer 4c/4t cpu, since the difference between to two isn't that great probably less than 20%.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd say find a 3770k on ebay or a sandy/ivy xeon. There was an article posted a little while ago in news showing the gains to be had from going from sandy bridge to skylake and it didn't really seem like it was worthwhile IMO when considering that the whole platform has to be upgraded including RAM. you could sell your 3570k for $150 at least then 3770k's are going for anywhere between $230 and $300. so invest $80-$150 and you'll double your thread count. If you do something thats heavily reliant on single core performance then the new skylake architecture would benefit you but for gaming ivy bridge is still a perfectly viable platform.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, you can opt for the Maximus VIII Hero but lots of reviews on NewEgg are not so positive. Silicon Lottery uses the VIII Hero to test overclocks on their CPU's they sell. For the features, it's very difficult to beat the Gaming 7. Some users have experienced problems with garbled sound on the Gaming 7 though cause it uses Creative® Sound Core3D™ Quad-Core Audio Processor. I updated my bios and don't experience it anymore.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymedtd View Post

I'd say find a 3770k on ebay or a sandy/ivy xeon. There was an article posted a little while ago in news showing the gains to be had from going from sandy bridge to skylake and it didn't really seem like it was worthwhile IMO when considering that the whole platform has to be upgraded including RAM. you could sell your 3570k for $150 at least then 3770k's are going for anywhere between $230 and $300. so invest $80-$150 and you'll double your thread count. If you do something thats heavily reliant on single core performance then the new skylake architecture would benefit you but for gaming ivy bridge is still a perfectly viable platform.
3770K did cross my mind and I have heard about Xeons aswell but don't know much more about them, any insight on what Xeons and why? Aren't they locked so you can't overclock them?

I'm not sure if 3770K over 3570K would offer any improvement in gaming? Where as the 6600K offers pretty much 10-20% across the board in any situation, and seeing as how games are still somehow bound to few cores top, I'm not sure if i7 is worth it yet from gaming standpoint?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i have watched a few vids from them, they have apples to apples comparisons aswell. It does seem to be faster in everything and seeing as I don't really even play newer games that much, very few are worth it imo.

I'm just trying to find a reason to upgrade or what to do, I like my toys and like to play with them!

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Quote:

Yeah i have watched a few vids from them, they have apples to apples comparisons aswell. It does seem to be faster in everything and seeing as I don't really even play newer games that much, very few are worth it imo.

I'm just trying to find a reason to upgrade or what to do, I like my toys and like to play with them!
Don't upgrade to just upgrade. Upgrade because you have a reason to. Almost about a 30 frame leap on GTAV, IMO that makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Quote:

honestly, if all you want is more fps, a faster gpu is the way to go if you have the 390. a 980ti, or fury x would improve your performance more than switching to the new platform.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And considering if I want to run games on higher detail with my 1440p display, I could use that extra juice really. I'm starting to think 6600K would be worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

honestly, if all you want is more fps, a faster gpu is the way to go if you have the 390. a 980ti, or fury x would improve your performance more than switching to the new platform.
I'm not jumping the Nvidia bandwagon, they lack good DX12 support. My R9 390 is "sufficient" for future purposes I think.
Fury X could be.. interesting maybe.
EDIT: Read up a bit on Fury X, it seems to offer less performance than upgrading to 6600K would for me. And is more expensive upgrade than to 6600K is right now.

But I'm also worried about how long my 3570K will last considering the degradation I have had to have had to lower it to 4.7GHz from 5.1GHz, sure the voltage is only like 1.42V now but running the normal 1.52V I can't get more than 4.9GHz for even benchmarks, not stable for daily use at more than 4.8GHz I think.

·
Owner of 20 SSDs
4,716 Posts
I dunno, yes an 5820k plus a cheap decent MSI/Asrock mobo is about $120 more over a Z170 setup, but you can OC it to 4.2-4.3 ghz and have two extra cores and a little bit more IPC instead of just purely relying on IPC improvements just by going 3570k -> 6600k.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
at 1440 a single 390 wont be CPU bound, and the games that support multithreading wont have a big gain, not with another 4 core/threads.

·
Guru
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K62-RIG View Post

I'd go 5820K and not worry about the 6600K. Just my
2cents.gif
I think you will really notice a performance difference with the 5820k and you'll be happier for spending the money.
5820K has noticeably worse ST performance than modern i5k or i7k and ST performance is pretty much the only thing worth paying $ for when looking at skylake.

overclocked 5820K equals to overclocked Xeon X5650/X5660.., only 4-5 times more expensive. So nothing more than a total waste of money here with your suggestion.
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
20,154 Posts
Quote:

And considering if I want to run games on higher detail with my 1440p display, I could use that extra juice really. I'm starting to think 6600K would be worth it.
I'm not jumping the Nvidia bandwagon, they lack good DX12 support. My R9 390 is "sufficient" for future purposes I think.
Fury X could be.. interesting maybe.
EDIT: Read up a bit on Fury X, it seems to offer less performance than upgrading to 6600K would for me. And is more expensive upgrade than to 6600K is right now.

But I'm also worried about how long my 3570K will last considering the degradation I have had to have had to lower it to 4.7GHz from 5.1GHz, sure the voltage is only like 1.42V now but running the normal 1.52V I can't get more than 4.9GHz for even benchmarks, not stable for daily use at more than 4.8GHz I think.
Single 390 . . . not worth a single cent, especially at 4.7GHz. Just save it for polaris. Never had to turn HT on on my Sandy with a single 290.

Now, you want to benchmark, that depends. For Futuremark, then i suggest at least a 5820K. Basing all this at wut you wrote.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

Single 390 . . . not worth a single cent, especially at 4.7GHz. Just save it for polaris. Never had to turn HT on on my Sandy with a single 290.

Now, you want to benchmark, that depends. For Futuremark, then i suggest at least a 5820K. Basing all this at wut you wrote.
I guess we got different standards for what is playable and what isn't then. I can't stand sub-60 fps at all and prefer closer 100. Now this is obviously stretching at 1440p but I don't need my settings at "Ultra".
6600K should help me achieve much smoother frames.

5820K setup would be atleast 200€ more than a 6600K setup, not worth it really. I can get 6600K + Mobo + Ram for just hair over 400€ total. Then sell my old bits for 200-250€ maybe or something.

I do think single thread performance is still propably the most important thing today rather than having 4C+4T.

I mean the thing is, going to a 6600K, I would see a boost in FPS in any game and any situation. But going to say 4690K or something, I might not even see any improvement in less optimized games. And if I want to buy a second hand 4690K that overclocks well enough, it is gonna cost a fortune. Atleast with 6600K I can count on silicon lottery!
EDIT: I thought it was the i7 but it's the i5 that 4690K.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
with a single r9 390 it wont worth it at 1440. unless you play with 1080 games which have higher CPU usage, and yet an used i7 3770k would be a better choice price performance for multithreaded games

1 - 20 of 51 Posts