Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am going to buy the corsair obsidian 900D. I will me mounting a 480 rad and a 240 in the bottom. I am unsure if to go with a 360 or 480 rad on top. Does anyone have any idea if I will see diminished returns with the 480? They will be cooling an AMD FX 8350 (May change when the new CPU's launch) and two of the new pascal video cards, when they launch (going off the thermals of the 980ti in SLI for rough estimate of temperature).

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have that case and I have a 480 up there as well as down the bottom. I dont think there will be any noticeable difference given the amount of cooling you are installing in the basement, but for me, if I can fit a rad in there then I will put one in there. If you can afford it of course.

I am cooling three Titans and I am lucky if they hit 40c and thats cooling all three cards, MOBO and CPU on the same loop.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Jesus christ 40C for 3 Titans and a 3930K @ 4.8GHz? What sorcery fans are you using? I have a 4930K @ 4.5 and a single 980 Ti, and with an XT 45 420 in push-pull and UT60 in push I still see the 980 Ti creep up to about 40-42C under sustained load with an ambient of around 20-21C. Granted I'm using Corsair fans and running them at around 1000 rpm, but holy crap that is seriously impressive. Well this just gives me more motivation to overhaul my loop and throw in another 240, and go push pull on all three rads because why not, plus I'm under utilizing the Enthoo Primo's cooling potential anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They will be ek rads so seems fitting to use ek Vardar fans. They are pretty damn close to the gentle typhoons in performance (noise to CFM wise). I will have corsair quiet editions for the front and rear air flow.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodbath View Post

I have that case and I have a 480 up there as well as down the bottom. I dont think there will be any noticeable difference given the amount of cooling you are installing in the basement, but for me, if I can fit a rad in there then I will put one in there. If you can afford it of course.

I am cooling three Titans and I am lucky if they hit 40c and thats cooling all three cards, MOBO and CPU on the same loop.
Yea i would def like to know more info on this...

sounds very impressive - unless hes got A/C in the room which results in like a Ambient of 15ish lol

1x 480 Rad for 4x components - so that would be 120mm of rad space each and maxing out at 40*C.......... yea i need more info please

lol - just saw ur rig and ur at 480+480+240 (figures), impressive. what fans r u using? and in what format push/pull?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousPop View Post

Yea i would def like to know more info on this...

sounds very impressive - unless hes got A/C in the room which results in like a Ambient of 15ish lol

1x 480 Rad for 4x components - so that would be 120mm of rad space each and maxing out at 40*C.......... yea i need more info please
You have misunderstood my post. I have a 480 and 240 in the bottom and another 480 up top. The bottom 480 is running in a pull config so is the 240, the 480 up top is running in a push pull config. All are equipped with Scythe GTs running at around 1350 RPM. Yes my room does have quite good cooling, but is by no means a cool room.

The components are even listed in my sig for reference.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodbath View Post

You have misunderstood my post. I have a 480 and 240 in the bottom and another 480 up top. The bottom 480 is running in a pull config so is the 240, the 480 up top is running in a push pull config. All are equipped with Scythe GTs running at around 1350 RPM. Yes my room does have quite good cooling, but is by no means a cool room.

The components are even listed in my sig for reference.
Yea silly me realised after i had posted lol.

thumb.gif
nice setup.

I was looking to run something very similar in the bottom - but i wasn't happy with just having a push OR pull config on those bottom rads... instead went for a 480 in push+pull...

but i have seen builds with an additional 240 inbetween the mobo and HDD cases, also seen another build with a 240 rad right were the front fans go!!

but i may have to look at an additional 240 rad somewhere - my 2x 480's dont seem to cut it...

If i was the OP i would go for a 480 in the top in a push + pull config - you will not regret it if u dont mind the few extra $$$..

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I have a 480 and a 360 with corsair SP fans. My two Titan X cards sit around 40-45C stress testing. Stay at 40C gaming with a 1430 OC. CPU is a 4930k @ 4.4Ghz. I run the fans a bit below half speed on my controller. No issues. Don't really gain much on full speed.

Running heaven doing this vid.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousPop View Post

Yea silly me realised after i had posted lol.

thumb.gif
nice setup.

I was looking to run something very similar in the bottom - but i wasn't happy with just having a push OR pull config on those bottom rads... instead went for a 480 in push+pull...

but i have seen builds with an additional 240 inbetween the mobo and HDD cases, also seen another build with a 240 rad right were the front fans go!!

but i may have to look at an additional 240 rad somewhere - my 2x 480's dont seem to cut it...

If i was the OP i would go for a 480 in the top in a push + pull config - you will not regret it if u dont mind the few extra $$$..
Yeah ive heard those 290s get pretty toasty but still 2 480s should keep them cool enough. You should be able to fit an extra 240 down in the bottom chamber at the front on the right hand side and maybe even a 120 at the back exhaust, but then it all starts to get a little messy.

As for the OP if it will fit in there for the extra price I say go for it, you can never have enough cooling especially if your like me and you keep adding more components.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet4NO1 View Post

I have a 480 and a 360 with corsair SP fans. My two Titan X cards sit around 40-45C stress testing. Stay at 40C gaming with a 1430 OC. CPU is a 4930k @ 4.4Ghz. I run the fans a bit below half speed on my controller. No issues. Don't really gain much on full speed.

Running heaven doing this vid.
Nice rig Prophet
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Got two 360s in my 900d, my 4690k is clocked to 4.8ghz right now and never goes above 55c at full load, my 7970s are at 1250/1650 at 1.381v and never got above 60c at full load... This is of course if my fans are at around 1100rpm if you need the extra rad space and have the money I'd get the 480s cause it does fit no problem.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
going with a 480 instead of a 360 would net you 1, maybe 2 degrees lower temps at best.

That being said, if the 480 fits, get the 480. If a bigger rad will fit, get that instead.

Ask yourself this, have you ever read a post from someone saying "I wish I didn't have all these rads in my rig, they keep it too cool"? On the other hand, probably at least once a week you will find a post saying "I wish I had more rad space in my rig"

Having way too much rad space cooling your rig is about as big of a problem as having a job that pays you too much for what you do...

edit: A more realistic comparison would be having a power supply that is way stronger than what your current system needs. Costs a hair less in the short run, but the moment you decide to get another GPU or a bigger CPU or something, those extra couple bucks you saved suddenly turned into costing you a lot more when you have to turn around and buy a bigger one. Just because you don't need it now, doesn't mean you won't need it later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMock View Post

going with a 480 instead of a 360 would net you 1, maybe 2 degrees lower temps at best.

That being said, if the 480 fits, get the 480. If a bigger rad will fit, get that instead.

Ask yourself this, have you ever read a post from someone saying "I wish I didn't have all these rads in my rig, they keep it too cool"? On the other hand, probably at least once a week you will find a post saying "I wish I had more rad space in my rig"

Having way too much rad space cooling your rig is about as big of a problem as having a job that pays you too much for what you do...

edit: A more realistic comparison would be having a power supply that is way stronger than what your current system needs. Costs a hair less in the short run, but the moment you decide to get another GPU or a bigger CPU or something, those extra couple bucks you saved suddenly turned into costing you a lot more when you have to turn around and buy a bigger one. Just because you don't need it now, doesn't mean you won't need it later
This x1000
thumb.gif
. I've heard so many cases where people crying for more rad space because the temps are just not what they expected.

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
+ 1 DNMock

too much rad is a good thing this was my radiator system looked like it is 1000W of cooling potential with 3 X 360mm radiators

https://imageshack.com/i/b50k5lj

but I took it all apart for a complete remodel, when I am done it will have about 1800W of cooling potential with 6 X 360mm radiators

http://imgur.com/cd15M1a

1 - 16 of 16 Posts