Overclock.net banner

3700+ Upgrade

728 13
Im about to put in an order for my new CPU 3700+ SD Core and just beofer im wanting to know if i will see a great deal of a performance boost in not only gaming but other applications ?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BioHzrd

Im about to put in an order for my new CPU 3700+ SD Core and just beofer im wanting to know if i will see a great deal of a performance boost in not only gaming but other applications ?

Unless you play a lot of RTS type games, I don't think you'll see a huge difference. What types of games do you play? Also, besides gaming, what makes you want more power....like what type of application? It almost sounds like a video card upgrade would give you more benefit.

Edit: Actually, after looking at your system, I think you're a tiny bit premature for an upgrade,but that's just my opinion. Your card should still run games on high and your cpu should be fine,too. Maybe a gig of ram?

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar

I don't know, a 3000 to a 3700 is a big jump (also 512K to 1 mb cache). Not to mention you have a 6800GT which is still a decent card. I upgraded my second rig from a 3500+ to a 3700+ and my benches went up between 10 and 15%

If I swapped the cpu out and you had no idea which was in the machine, I doubt you'd feel much difference if any for gaming. My vote is still to hold off and save your dough for a bigger upgrade. Maybe stash it away and wait for the move to ddr2 and a new socket?

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BioHzrd

What do you mean by that ???

What I meant by saying you're premature for an upgrade is that I don't feel you're going to get the performance boost you're looking for. I also don't feel that the small boost you will get warrants how much it's going to cost you to get it. I understand wanting something new, but I honestly think you should hold off. I don't think you'll be happy with the small difference weighed against the expenditure. With that said though, if you're dead set on upgrading, go for it. I just think it's silly kind of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.