Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never dabbled in this and a bit nervous. . I'm a bit confused about PPT since from my understanding PPT is the wattage that the CPU gets. So should my PPT be 65w TDP of the CPU? When I opened Ryzen master my PPT was 395? I just reset my BIOS to default booted back into windows and PPT is still 395W

Here is a screen shot of Ryzen Master
My BIOS settings are default except for
Performance Bias: None
PBO Fmax Enhancer: Enabled ( I have a hunch this is causing PPT to be 395)
PBD: Enabled
Max CPU Boost: 100

I also have another reason I'm asking about this too. I installed CTR 2.1 which is similar to Ryzen Master which allowed me to get boost clock to 4550 in theory mostly getting 4480 in game.
Temps are mid 40's to low 50's
Settings for CTR 2.1
DIGI+ VRM set to lvl 3
PBO Fmax Enhancer: Disabled
PBD: Disabled

Just wondering if i'm playing with fire and if my PPT should be that high?

Attachments

·
Robotic Chemist
4,302 Posts
No, you are fine.

I leave my PPT on 395W. It is the limit which the CPU will stay under long term, assuming the temperatures are good. It will throttle independent of that limit if it gets too hot. Setting it to 65W would limit performance a lot, but it would stay cool.

The more important limit for Ryzen is EDC (in amps not watts), this is often limited by the motherboard and if it was too high it could harm the motherboard or CPU. In practice the CPU almost always gets too hot before anything else is a problem. :p

·
Iconoclast
31,560 Posts
Stock PPT is 1.35x the TDP of the part.

On most of my parts I typically set mine to double stock, or some arbitrarilty high number that it will never reach, so PPT itself is never the limiting factor. Same goes for cTDP, TDC, and EDC. Temperature is usually the limiting factor.

The reason to set PPT lower is if you want to ensure a specific power limit is adhered to, either to have the system run cooler or to allow higher boosting in lighter multi-threaded loads by keeping cores in a more efficient boost range.

However, you may want to set a reasonable limit if you are using a hybrid/manual OC. ~4.5GHz at 1.4v+ is quite high for a 3700X.

·
Robotic Chemist
4,302 Posts
However, you may want to set a reasonable limit if you are using a hybrid/manual OC. ~4.5GHz at 1.4v+ is quite high for a 3700X.
Does it do anything with a manual OC? I thought the CPU just stays at X MHz and Y voltage if you manually set them.

It seems to for me, it will happily run at crazy temps and power levels with a manual OC. :unsure:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the "boost" 4.55Hz is basically a fine tuned PBO via CTR 2.1. None of the cores are "locked" to a set Mhz. My voltages and cores fluctuate like PBO. I'll post a gif of HWinfo of whats happening. I just need to boot into that profile.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Bios settings
For CTR 2.1
DIGI+ VRM set to lvl 3
PBO Fmax Enhancer: Disabled
PBD: Disabled

All pictures are from desktop to in game.
gif 1 & 2: CTR 2.1 Not active. CPUZ with the settings above normal PBD, again those settings above "not what I normally run with PBD"

gif 3 : Opening CTR and applying CTR HYBRID, Profile 2 and PX profile
gif 4: Opening CTR, applying CTR HYBRID, Profile 1 and PX profile.
gif 5: CTR interface/settings

Here is a link of results from other people.

Attachments

·
Iconoclast
31,560 Posts
Does it do anything with a manual OC? I thought the CPU just stays at X MHz and Y voltage if you manually set them.

It seems to for me, it will happily run at crazy temps and power levels with a manual OC. :unsure:
Been a while since I tested it, but some of my boards would save the power/current limits set in PBO when going back to a manual OC and would throttle when those limits were reached.

Not sure if that was intended behavior or not, but running a fixed OC without current limiters is a good way break a Ryzen, especially if one is using voltage past FIT.

I'm not sure if CTR's hybrid OC would retain the limiters when switching to the fixed settings at heavy multi-core loads, but if it doesn't one would want to be very careful how much current one pulls when running something like the ~1.4v CRT often suggests.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been a while since I tested it, but some of my boards would save the power/current limits set in PBO when going back to a manual OC and would throttle when those limits were reached.

Not sure if that was intended behavior or not, but running a fixed OC without current limiters is a good way break a Ryzen, especially if one is using voltage past FIT.

I'm not sure if CTR's hybrid OC would retain the limiters when switching to the fixed settings at heavy multi-core loads, but if it doesn't one would want to be very careful how much current one pulls when running something like the ~1.4v CRT often suggests.
What are current limiters PPT TDC EDC? Where would you see that in HWinfo?

·
Iconoclast
31,560 Posts
What are current limiters PPT TDC EDC? Where would you see that in HWinfo?
PPT is the package power limit, in watts, not a current limiter.

TDC is thermal design current, while EDC is electrical design current.

In HWiNFO you can see the usage, and what percent of the limit they are at, in the same section that shows CPU core temperatures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts