Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen it mentioned that the Auto voltage of the 3700x is fine, even if it spikes to 1.4v during normal OS usage it's fine and is designed that way. Is this true or nonsense?
Should I undervolt this CPU as much as possible? Will this hurt/help performance?

And is any voltage other than vcore usually touched when doing this?

Apologies if this is too basic for its own thread, if you could point me to the most conclusive answer I'd appreciate it because it seems very mixed when googling this.

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,554 Posts
It's true. Up to 1.5V is fine while you're not really doing anything. It's all about current:

Low current -> high voltage (on the desktop or browsing the web)
High current -> lower voltage (during stress tests or rendering or even gaming)

You shouldn't really undervolt unless you're having thermal issues.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,138 Posts
Also keep in mind what tool you're using to monitor the CPU. Last I recall, anything but Ryzen Master has dodgy readings.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,006 Posts
HWInfo64 is pretty accurate. It reads the same as Ryzen Master on my system.

As far as undervolting, it's fine as long as you don't go too far. I run a -0.05v offset on mine. Others with newer chips have been able to set a -0.1v offset without hurting performance.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
that depends on what your bios settings and your windows power profile are set to and your workload. if you have PBO allowed your CPU with Balanced ryzen power plan, expect your CPU to run up to 1.25-1.3V when doing multi core workloads and around 58Amps. when you disable BPO you will run at around 1.22V at about 44A for the same workload.

At single core workload you will find your CPU running at 1.44-1.5V with PBO and around 1.42-1.44 When PBO is disabled. this will result in much less power draw at around 28Amps with PBO Enabled and 25 with it disabled.

Monitoring software will give you different results as they have different polling rate, i find CPUZ to always match ryzen master.

Ryzen is designed to react to bursty workloads, when you open a new window or launch an app, it boosts the clock to get this task done quickly and after that it settles down.

you don't need to undervolt, disabling PBO and using Balanced plan you will have decent results, are you running into thermal issues?

·
Registered
329 Posts
quando avevo 3700x andando a 1.5 vcore, ma provalo con uno stress test, la mia CPU è andata fino a 1.365 volt

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that depends on what your bios settings and your windows power profile are set to and your workload. if you have PBO allowed your CPU with Balanced ryzen power plan, expect your CPU to run up to 1.25-1.3V when doing multi core workloads and around 58Amps. when you disable BPO you will run at around 1.22V at about 44A for the same workload.

At single core workload you will find your CPU running at 1.44-1.5V with PBO and around 1.42-1.44 When PBO is disabled. this will result in much less power draw at around 28Amps with PBO Enabled and 25 with it disabled.

Monitoring software will give you different results as they have different polling rate, i find CPUZ to always match ryzen master.

Ryzen is designed to react to bursty workloads, when you open a new window or launch an app, it boosts the clock to get this task done quickly and after that it settles down.

you don't need to undervolt, disabling PBO and using Balanced plan you will have decent results, are you running into thermal issues?
Is 60c during regular windows usage considered thermal issues? This is what Ryzen Master reports when all I'm doing is copy pasting some large files and browsing a handful of websites.
I'm using the regular wraith prism cooler and maybe I should repaste it, but that would only help by like 5c wouldn't it?

I'm interested in maximizing performance without overheating or wasting a lot more electricity than on auto. Is it best to just leave it on balanced/default values?
Should PBO be on or off? Reading about it it seemed to have almost no effect. I didn't touch it in the bios so idk what the default is.

HWInfo64 is pretty accurate. It reads the same as Ryzen Master on my system.

As far as undervolting, it's fine as long as you don't go too far. I run a -0.05v offset on mine. Others with newer chips have been able to set a -0.1v offset without hurting performance.
Does the offset simply reduce the otherwise automatic value by the given value?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is 60c during regular windows usage considered thermal issues? This is what Ryzen Master reports when all I'm doing is copy pasting some large files and browsing a handful of websites.
I'm using the regular wraith prism cooler and maybe I should repaste it, but that would only help by like 5c wouldn't it?

I'm interested in maximizing performance without overheating or wasting a lot more electricity than on auto. Is it best to just leave it on balanced/default values?
Should PBO be on or off? Reading about it it seemed to have almost no effect. I didn't touch it in the bios so idk what the default is.

Does the offset simply reduce the otherwise automatic value by the given value?
Yes that's what the offset does, will offset negative or positive by that amount.

Check out the thread I linked you if you want to take the most advantage from PBO, as PBO itself is extremely limited.

You will be able to adjust the PBO values to limit how much of a boost you want as well as use a negative offset on your frequency to control the voltage. This will leave you with the highest performing boost. You will be thermally limited either way, so at least this way you can lower voltages and still end up with higher frequencies than PBO on auto.

Don't sleep on that EDC thread, you will not be disappointed and there isn't that much to it. Plenty of 3700x owners which you can reference results from there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts