Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question on the liquid metal application.

I previously delidded my 3770k and applied some better thermal paste, with positive results.

Now I ordered some liquid metal to apply but I have a question.

I seen over at gamers nexus them applying to cpu and cpu cover.

Question being, should you apply this between the contact of the cooler and the cpu cover also, or just use thermal paste?

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,168 Posts

I previously delidded my 3770k and applied some better thermal paste, with positive results.

Question being, should you apply this between the contact of the cooler and the cpu cover also, or just use thermal paste?
I have tried it, and wouldn't recommend it. There are two obvious problems:

1) Possible leak of the liquid metal to other components on motherboard near the socket. This hasn't happened to me on the two occassions I used it.

2) When you clean the liquid metal off, it's impossible to preserve the manufacturer etching on the heatsink surface. It will be wiped clean.

If you are cautious about (1) and don't care for (2), it is worth the peace of mind for maximal thermal conduction. ;)

• Rep+
Reactions: Newbie2009

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

1) Possible leak of the liquid metal to other components on motherboard near the socket. This hasn't happened to me on the two occassions I used it.

2) When you clean the liquid metal off, it's impossible to preserve the manufacturer etching on the heatsink surface. It will be wiped clean.

If you are cautious about (1) and don't care for (2), it is worth the peace of mind for maximal thermal conduction. ;)
Thanks for the response. 1 being an obvious issue and 2 being a non issue, I think I will proceed with care.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I went ahead and put liquid metal on cpu and IHS.

Temps have dropped by about 15c. Pretty damn awesome.

Stress testing 5ghz on my 3770k now with 1.34v and 62c max temps lol

• Rep+
Reactions: mouacyk

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,168 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

If you are cautious about (1) and don't care for (2), it is worth the peace of mind for maximal thermal conduction. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
What? You put liquid metal UNDER the IHS...not on top. It's pretty much a waste of material to put it on top as well.

Don't spread your false information due to operator misuse.

OP, put tape down around the die before spreading. You should check out Der8auer and Gamers Nexus vods on applying the liquid metal.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What? You put liquid metal UNDER the IHS...not on top. It's pretty much a waste of material to put it on top as well.

Don't spread your false information due to operator misuse.

OP, put tape down around the die before spreading. You should check out Der8auer and Gamers Nexus vods on applying the liquid metal.
I did it a while back, all good. Will be doing again if I every buy another intel chip.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
even the worst of thermal pastes do the SAME as putting liquid metal on TOP of the IHS. It is pointless.

Just get a decent paste like Gelid or Kryonaut on TOP of the IHS. Keep the LM under the IHS, on the die.

No need to put it on both sides.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
even the worst of thermal pastes do the SAME as putting liquid metal on TOP of the IHS. It is pointless.

Just get a decent paste like Gelid or Kryonaut on TOP of the IHS. Keep the LM under the IHS, on the die.

No need to put it on both sides.
I'm aware but didn't have paste to spare at the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just to add a small note to this thread, I recently delidded my 3770k and got lazy. Just slapped some decent/good paste on the CPU and just placed it back in with no glue.

I still got around -10-15c lower temps :)

I plan to liquid metal at some point (and use a little glue to hold it in place) and it'll be interesting to see if I get another 5-10c off, but if you don't want to use liquid metal, you can still get a decent decrease using better thermal paste.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I did that first, and got about -13...over time, though...it started going up in temp. I had it on about 3 months before getting liquid metal. When popping the top off again, it was dried up pretty good. Not like fresh paste. That is why the corning pigeon poop is good for that, it resists heat deterioration compared to higher end pastes.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So an update on the liquid metal. Still working perfectly almost a year and a half later, zero issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts