Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a noob gonna do... The old Windsor EE 90nm with the new F3 stepping, or the new kid the BE-2300 45W, and Shifty's nice oc.

The original Brisbanes had a temp-sensor (on-die) issue that I'd prefer to avoid, since this is my 1st oc build.

The build will not allow the stock HS/F to be used, substituting some AS-5 and an Arctic Cool Freezer 64. THere's a $25 difference in these two, and naturally, if I can get the same perf. (say 2800 MHz Orthos/Prime95 stable, I would prefer cheaper.

After looking around, what can I expect with the 3800 F3?

edit==> After looking around here, the OP's and sys builds don't state which 3800 is in use the CZ (F3) or the CU (F2). It would help, as there's at least 3 different 3800's. ADA3800CU, ADO3800CU, and ADO3800CZ

I think the basics for a decent oc are met with good airflow and oc-able components. I just haven't seen much on the new F3 step revision vs. oc for the 3800. It 'should be' improved with lower Volt and Pwr. Not sure if its up to Brisbane levels yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a comparison of the 1.9-2.1 GHz CPU's at newegg. The part #'s illustrate different 3800's, but it took me quite a while to figure out that the CZ part was the new step revision. Note the price difference between the 3600/4000 Brisbane's and the new 2300/2350.

If anyone has the ADO3800CZBOX version, I'd like a heads-up on the o/c ability or limits.
thanx

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
being your first overclock, i recommend the 3800+, it's oc limits and recommend voltages to get there are well documented, where as i've never seen a single overclock thread about the be-2300, it'll be easier for you to see what others have done as a guide.

good luck!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Theirs a very long thread about OC'ing the BE-2300 in this forum by shifty22123 and it looks like it might be as good or better than the 3600.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I'd go with the BE-2300 but it has the same issue as other brisbanes with the temp sensor! This will be fixed though since coretemp or other software don't support it yet.

Also...Take a look here at the OC's and see if you can find your stepping

http://www.ripping.org/database.php?cpuid=266

Looks like you may get 3ghz with that baby

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks shifty, rep 'd. Edited=> Looking at the oc list, the BE-2300 is doing better on AIR. Cancel the 3600/ go with BE-2300. (/edit) Should be fun. I note the f3 3800's not seeing much improvement yet
Thought it would be incrementally better, say 50-100MHz, but the f2 still top dawg.I guess I'll change siggy and go down-under.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm... with the temp problem unfixed, and looking around at prices and deals, the "old" 3600+ can save me $35-40. This because there are no deals on the new 2300 yet. Had to think this through a bit, the $ is talking louder than the innovation.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
You can go with the 3600...most people arent so lucky as I am to get a high OC anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts