Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

I´ve bought a ryzen 3800xt on a gigabyte aorus b550 elite board. My cooler is a scythe mugen 5.

I have a problem with high temperatures: idle 50°C and under geekbench even 88°C . The cpu
is boosting even when I start a webbrowser over 70°C causes in up and down of the fan speed...

I don´t think another cooler is fixing the problems and a friend told me about the forum to ask for
help with undervolting and values for it.

I´m a noob in overclocking and I wanted to ask what I should try. VCore offset? And what else?
Any experience with the 3800XT?

·
OG AMD
8,799 Posts
Well there is no way you should be idling at 50c. That implies a bad mount.

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,535 Posts
Well there is no way you should be idling at 50c. That implies a bad mount.
There is absolutely a way. That's what Ryzen 3000 does. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
check the mount and the spread of the paste.

is the cooler new and did you remove the coldplate sticker?

·
Space Cadet
455 Posts

Attachments

·
LTSC for life crew
2,877 Posts
Also check to see if PBO is enabled by default. On my motherboard the BIOS settings default to both case fans & CPU fan on a low power "silent" profile, in addition to defaulting to PBO "on" which when the two are combined is really not a great thing in my experience.

On my 3900X I was idling at 50C+ and under load was seeing 94C - I disabled PBO until I got the heat issues figured out, and set the fan profile to "performance" and this immediately fixed my severe heat issue.

• Rep+
Reactions: Schmuckley

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,535 Posts

·
Space Cadet
455 Posts
This did affect performance for me in a weird way: noticed some lag while moving the mouse over desktop icons and drives in This PC.
I noticed that too, if I was using the EDO bug, but at default settings or manual over clock it work good for me.

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,535 Posts
I noticed that too, if I was using the EDO bug, but at default settings or manual over clock it work good for me.
In my case, it happened with PBO on Auto with my old 3700X. Figured it was the plan and the issue was gone after switching back to high performance/balanced.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
50°C idle is about right.

Go into the BIOS and make sure PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) is disabled, and make sure no other overclocking options are enabled.
-
Ryzen 3000 series tend to run hot - it's just how they work. I recommend creating a custom fan-curve in your BIOS, and keep the fan at low speed until 65°C or so, and then have it gradually ramp up to max speed by 80-85°C or so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
every time i see that 50c is "right" as idle, i like to point to this https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/eng1y8/ryzen_3700x_high_iddle_temps_and_fan_speed/

and see about 10 days of monitoring on my air cooled 3900x

(i don't really use it full potential... but it does run a VM with 4 core allocated (not idle at all) and this is what make my average use)

if i close my vmware, i can idle around 40c

this is with a 25-26c ambient room

Attachments

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,535 Posts
every time i see that 50c is "right" as idle, i like to point to this https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/eng1y8/ryzen_3700x_high_iddle_temps_and_fan_speed/

and see about 10 days of monitoring on my air cooled 3900x

(i don't really use it full potential... but it does run a VM with 4 core allocated (not idle at all) and this is what make my average use)

if i close my vmware, i can idle around 40c

this is with a 25-26c ambient room

No thank you. That workaround messes with performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello and thanks for the answers so far.

I have to say that I dont´t use windows at all. I´m using arch linux. So every windows solution don´t work.

Even in bios I have 51°C at a room temperature between 25-26°C. I testet in bios full speed of fans and the temperature
was 50°C anyway.

About mounting: I´m sure that I dint´t anything wrong, I removed the sticker and spreaded the termal paste thinn on the whole
cpu. The mounting of the cooler with scythe mugen system should be safe, there is imho no option to make a mistake.

I have to say that the 3800xt is takted very high by default. (3,9 GHz and 4,7 under boost)
I tested disable the PBO and that improved the temperatures under load. But it coasts 10% performance and then the

3800xt is just so strong as the 3700x. :-(

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Can you still return it for an Intel setup?

·
LTSC for life crew
2,877 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: rares495

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,535 Posts
Can you still return it for an Intel setup?

He's unhappy with a cool 3800XT. How's he gonna handle 4 million degrees of shintel power?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To say the true I was thinking about the 10700K instead of the 3800xt. And I´m a little bit angry about my choice ...
I had never issues with my Intel e1231, it was strong and cool without these ******* peaks and temperature jumping.

But I don´t think I can return the cpu and board...

·
Premium Member
20,109 Posts
To say the true I was thinking about the 10700K instead of the 3800xt. And I´m a little bit angry about my choice ...
I had never issues with my Intel e1231, it was strong and cool without these ******* peaks and temperature jumping.

But I don´t think I can return the cpu and board...
Go check what kind of cooling the guy who recommended shifting to intel has. Prolly 500$ worth.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Go check what kind of cooling the guy who recommended shifting to intel has. Prolly 500$ worth.
My home made cooling solution cost more than $500 in parts. I am not sure how to factor in my labor, considering I am a Principal Scientist in Los Angeles. However, I can help design a comparable cooling system for the OP for $100.

·
Premium Member
20,109 Posts
My home made cooling solution cost more than $500 in parts. I am not sure how to factor in my labor, considering I am a Principal Scientist in Los Angeles. However, I can help design a comparable cooling system for the OP for $100.
And your recommended solution to the op's issue is based on science?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts