Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have been researching OC'ing my 3820. Apparently people are recommending only changing the multiplier and then the bclck not more than 103 or 104.

Anyhow, so on my sig rig, when I rum P95 at stock settings, I'm usually sitting around 48 - 50 at full load using an H80 cooler set to the 2nd pump setting. I upped my multiplier to 40 to achieve a 4.0ghz OC and ran P95 again. Now, my realtemp is reporting as much as 58 at load???? I did not touch the vcore. The only thing i touched in my OC was my multiplier.

Question: I thought the rise in heat (above normal at same load) was always due to an increase in vcore. Since I didn't up my vcore, how come my core temps are rising and not at the same amount as when stressed at factory clocks?

Question: How come my default setting on my multi is 12 and not 36?

Is this related to my motherboard having some kind of auto vcore setting or something?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Did you manually set your vcore? If not it is most likely on auto and may be compensating automatically for the increase in frequency. Check the actual voltage under load with CPU-Z and see what it is actually running. Also I beleive there was a review that showed with the same vcore at higher speeds the temp went up, your making it work faster so more heat can be generated as a result.

Speedstep and other power saving features turn down the frequency when the chip is not under load. As you apply load the frequency should load up to its maximum value. Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
+Rep for you, thanks silvrr. No, I didn't set my vcore manually but I will. I think I want to use offset as opposed to fixed. Since I'm not OC"ing much right now, should I just set my vcore to whatever default is for SB-E at stock settings? Also, any idea how much offset to use? +.020?

I definitely want to leave by power saving features on which I know will hinder my ability to hit high overclocks....but I would rather not stress my cpu 24/7. So if the bios or ATXU state 12 as the multiplier, it is just saying that because that is what it is currently (not under load)?

At what point should I start OC'ing my ram or will it do it automatically? Do I only need to adjust my ram when messing with my bclck? Sorry for asking noob questions. I have been reading alot on the basics of OC'ing but it was a from a guide that was about 4 years old...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Can't help you much with offset as I use fixed voltages and I have a 24/7 100% load and I found fixed easier. Do some research for the default voltages for Ivy Bridge, they may be different than Sandy.

Your multi is going to be either auto/default in BIOS unless you have switched it to manual and entered a value. In windows use CPU-z and it will show 12 or 16 (16 is the min for Sandy 12 may be the min for IB) with no load. Give it a load (Prime95, IBT ect.) and it should jump to the max.

For RAM keep it at the stock speed and timings for now. This will keep from introducing RAM stability issues while you try to settle out your overclock of the CPU. I haven't seen a test for IB yet but for SB above 1333 there was little gain to 1600 and above 1600 there was no real gain except for benchmarks. This could be 100% different for IB though but leave it at stock until you get your CPU stable and then you can mess with it if there are gains to be made.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts