Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a broken 3850 for free, and as I don't have much to do tomorrow, I was thinking of baking it.
The heatsink has already been removed, as have the ram sinks, and I'm going to remove the ports and bracket tomorrow morning.
What exactly should I do - should I use aluminium foil, old t-shirts, or both? Want temperature should I use to cook it and how long for? I have a fan oven btw.
Thanks

EDIT: OK guys, here's what I'm going to do, so if anyone has any reasons why I shouldn't do it/I'm doing something wrong, please tell me.
Here's some pictures of the card - I'm going to put it as it is in an oven tray, and use tinfoil balls to elevate it from the bottom of the tray. I am not going to cover the card with anything, and I'm going to bake it at 395f for 10 minutes, and then leave 10 minutes for it to cool down. Does that sound OK?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
might try it just as the Nvidia kind...
(from the top of my head)
10 mins at 200c or something like that.

anyway...good luck

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodpigeon4 View Post
Thanks - +rep. If anyone else has any more info, do tell me before I go ahead tomorrow morning

I usually do 395 for 15 minutes. It works great for xbox's. Best of luck

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marma Duke View Post
Your oven does 395c?!

Quote:

That's 395f right? Did you use aluminium foil or t-shirts?
395F should have clarified sorry. I put an aluminum balls in each corner and some in the middle just to provide good support. After it's done bakin I let it chill in the oven for about 10 mins then take it out and let it cool down on counter for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Martkilu View Post
395F should have clarified sorry. I put an aluminum balls in each corner and some in the middle just to provide good support. After it's done bakin I let it chill in the oven for about 10 mins then take it out and let it cool down on counter for a while.
Ah, so you don't actually wrap the PCB in aluminium?
EDIT: @zhevra, it reflows the solder and basically that can fix damaged cards.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Quote:

I never have, no clue if it helps or not.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhevra View Post
Um..What exactly dose this do?!
It's supposed to reflow the solder and magically fix a non-working or artifacting graphics card. due to some sort of voodoo magic, it works pretty often.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZHoob2004 View Post
It's supposed to reflow the solder and magically fix a non-working or artifacting graphics card. due to some sort of voodoo magic, it works pretty often.
Yep, just like RAM in the freezer (although I dunno why this works..)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Quote:

kk. I got that it somehow fixed them, just didn't know how.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK guys, here's what I'm going to do, so if anyone has any reasons why I shouldn't do it/I'm doing something wrong, please tell me.
Here's some pictures of the card - I'm going to put it as it is in an oven tray, and use tinfoil balls to elevate it from the bottom of the tray. I am not going to cover the card with anything, and I'm going to bake it at 395f for 10 minutes, and then leave 10 minutes for it to cool down. Does that sound OK?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.