Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running on my 3870x2 for a while now and I'm quite dissapointed with DX 10/10.1 so I think I might jump on DX 11 as soon as I can... I have three quesions before I do anything which I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

1. Does anything thats not DX 11 support tesselation or are we left to hope some crazy company implements pre DX 11 tesselation?

2. What card would give me a noticeable jump over my 3870x2?

3. Would waiting for the 5k refresh or 6k series be worth it? (AKA does anyone know any 6k series speculation/rumors? ATi rumors are very often spot on...)

anyone want a +rep?

·
PC Evangelist
46,966 Posts
3870X2 is like a HD4850 so a HD5850 and up you will see nice gains.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If your card isn't lacking behind as of now, I would wait. There aren't any games out that REALLY take advantage of DX11 yet, but they're starting to come. Fermi is supposed to be out about the end of the month, and its said that it'll cause an ATi price drop

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
I doubt you'll see tessellation in non-DX11 games since DX11 makes it much more efficient to do it. It's probably possible with older versions, but it's so inefficient that you'll probably need a recent and powerful card to do it. Somewhat defeats the purpose.

I'd say anything over a 5770 would show you either similar performance or a rather large performance boost. It just depends on what games you play, and what you are looking into switching to.

I believe we're a bit away from a 6k series since Fermi still hasn't quite hit yet. AMD may add more cards to the 5k lineup in order to fill the market better.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

3870X2 is like a HD4850 so a 5770 and up you will see nice gains.

I fixed your post

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eseb1
View Post

I fixed your post

A 5770 is fairly close to a 4870, so I don't think he'll see much of a performance benefit. They would have to either crossfire them or go with something like a 5850 to get a large boost.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbpenguins412
View Post

I'd wait for a bit. You have the equivalent of an HD 4850, so I don't see the point of upgrading for a little bit. At least wait until Nvidia releases the GTX400 series and you see some price drops on the attractive parts in the HD5k lineup, especially the HD 5830 and HD 5850.

I'd go with this; at least see what happens to prices when nVidia launch their new cards...

I'm in a similar dilemma myself - I'd like to move to EyeFinity, but a 5850 isn't an upgrade from a 4870X2, and a 5870/5970 are both a little more pricy than I'd like. I've you've waited this long with a 3870X2, a short while longer won't hurt.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Guys, 3870x2 is nothing like a 4850!!! Its way better, even if its a generation old.

Maybe on par with 4870 and some 4890, but way better that a 4850.

And on topic, sell the card, put some money and buy a 5850. As soon as you can!

·

13,000 Posts
I say get a 5850 now and not wait, I just bought one yesterday for $308 plus %5 tax.

How much can a 5850 drop in a month? what 10 bucks? LoL

A 5850 would give a touch over double the performance of a 3870x2, with the comfort of one card( less heat, quieter, less power used, smaller, less crossfire hassle in some games )

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its settled then who wants to buy my card?
I was originally geared toward a 5770 since its sooo cool and I hate my space heater sinceit heats more than it folds.... I think I might grab a 5830 or 5850 when fermi hits and crossfire later.

No but seriosly who wants to buy my card.....

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
I would be waiting, see what ATi do.
6XXX range is just around the corner.
5850 is a wiked piece of card, I went from a 8800 GT and got 5K from 3Dmark6.
What games are you currently playing now btw?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 495
View Post

Guys, 3870x2 is nothing like a 4850!!! Its way better, even if its a generation old.

Maybe on par with 4870 and some 4890, but way better that a 4850.

And on topic, sell the card, put some money and buy a 5850. As soon as you can!

Heres a little bit of proof that you're not quiet as spot on as you might think.

Heres the hardware cauncks review of the 3870x2.

And here's their review of the 4850.

I use this game because OTHER THAN CRYSIS, this is one of the few games I could find with the same settings, reso, AA, AF, and DX10 on both cards.

Now this is just a small sampling. But, from looking at reviews this is the same deal across the board.

OP, in your case, I would go for a 5770, and go crossfire when the chance arises!

·

13,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooooooo
View Post

Around the corner as in next year? maybe a 5890 is around the corner, but who knows.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooooooo
View Post

By around the corner, you mean Q4 2010?

OP, I'd wait, but for exactly 2 weeks only. If ATI drops their prices with Fermi launch, you'll catch that. If they don't drop their prices, no point in waiting right?

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newpc
View Post

with the new drivers, the 5770 is closer to 4890

Good to hear
I had a 5770 right when they came out since I sold off my 4890(s), and I was rather disappointed. Returned the 5770 and used my 1950XTX until I could afford my 5850

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
Yes around the corner, just like the release of GT5 on the PS3

4th Q of 2010 is around the corner when you really think of how quick the 5XXX series has evolved.
At the end of the day, ATi have some nice performers @ affordable prices.
If the OP wants to wait 6 months for newer tech, then so be it, prices would have ironed out Fermi and 5XXX series, and he would have a choice of 6XXX series too.
All depends on how desperate the guy is..
Just trying to be open minded about the whole thing as apposed to saying, buy now, no wait 2 weeks responses..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts