Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People

If this has been answered before, then I am sorry, but I have looked for a thread and haven't ben able to find one.

I am a noob, and I need to know some good 38mm fans to put on a venomous X I want to get. I am overclocking to 4 ghz, so I would like to set up a push/pull config. Any idea which fans would sit nicely on aforementioned heatsink? San Ace H101 seem to be very popular, but I can't seem to get hold of them. They seem to manufacture about three fans a year.

Are there any other 38mm fans which I could order within the UK and which have a good reputation? Does it really matter? Do all 38mm fans offer the same kind of thing? Do thermalright do 38mm fans which are very good for the VX?

Appreciate your help and patience

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
San Ace 9G1212H101/H1011 (available at chilledpc.co.uk) or Panaflo U1BX are the best 38mm thick fans available. Also you probably won't need push/pull with a 38mm thick fan since one produces as much or more static pressure than a pair of 25mm thick fans.

Edit: I had 2 San Ace H101's in push pull on my VX and at full speed the temp difference was 1C which is well within the margin of error. However at lower speeds (<1600rpm) push/pull did give me better temps, around 2-3C. Since then I have opted for a pair of Scythe Gentletyphoon AP-15's in push pull since at full speed they produce MUCH less noise than the San Aces do and the temps are within 2C of the San Aces. If you are looking for the optimal noise/performance ratio I would look into getting a pair of these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadenman
View Post

I haven't tried 38mm fans, but I know many other people like the Scythe Ultra Kaze models.

Ultra Kaze fans are much louder than their rating, are cheaply made, and have a reputation for making a god awful clicking noise when undervolted. They have great static pressure however, even comparable to the legendary San Ace, they just sound terrible by comparison.

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
I have the UK 3000rpm, but it's so loud...although, I can run it at 40/50% without/with HT and it keeps my temps OK..weird clicking/whining sound is a little annoying, but I just bought some Gentle Typhoon's, and they're soooo quiet at full speed compared to this...push/pull here I come

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
FYI, anything above 35dB is going to be loud.

If you do plan on using 38mm thick fans, you'll probably want a fan controller to go with it as I said, they'll be freaking loud. You don't want to connect these poweful fans to the motherboard anyway.

Regarding fan controllers, you need one with high enough power per channel. Anyways, go here as it will answer every question you have

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
I have a 38mm thick Panaflo high speed connected to my motherboard (0.6A fan on a 1A+ header is perfectly safe) and use my motherboard to control fan speed automatically.

Ultra Kaze's are cheap, as in both inexpensive and fairly poorly made. A Panaflo will give you better performance at any given noise level, and a San Ace is better still.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The Panaflo fans like the U1BX and others would be good alternatives if you can't find any San Aces.

For setup, I run my San Aces in a push pull config (1470rpm and 1740rpm; fan controlled by the FC-5) and its all good.

the Ultra Kazes are ok, if you get the 1000rpm or maybe the 2000rpm then you should be good. But if you are going to unvolt them to control the fan speed and noise levels, then a click noise would be produced.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love this place - so many helpful people. Thanks very much!

I'll check out those places you say sell the san ace.

But those gentle typhoon also seem great, especially considering how quiet they run.

I was wanting to use a fan controller with them - I'm such a noob however, that I am not sure where to plug the fan controller into the motherboard. Can you only buy thermal ones, or are fan controllers sold which plug into the board? I'll check that oout. Thanks again for the help. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I'll also have to buy some 38mm hooks to go with them - Thermalright don't include these.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kropsky View Post
I love this place - so many helpful people. Thanks very much!

I'll check out those places you say sell the san ace.

But those gentle typhoon also seem great, especially considering how quiet they run.

I was wanting to use a fan controller with them - I'm such a noob however, that I am not sure where to plug the fan controller into the motherboard. Can you only buy thermal ones, or are fan controllers sold which plug into the board? I'll check that oout. Thanks again for the help. Very much appreciated.
You plug your fans directly into your fan controller, and you plug the fan controller into your PSU. You can also plug your fans directly into your motherboard via the 3 pin connectors and control them in your BIOS our through software like speedfan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kropsky View Post
I guess I'll also have to buy some 38mm hooks to go with them - Thermalright don't include these.
The fan clips included with the VX clip to the inside of the fan holes, so they work with any size fan as long as they don't have closed corners. Be warned, the San Ace 9G1212H101 has closed corners, while the 9G1212H1011 does not. The GentleTyphoon also has closed corners. A good way around this is to just use zip ties

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by liberalelephant View Post
(available at chilledpc.co.uk)
Not in stock there until May 10th. 2 months can be a long wait...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chunky chimp

I was thinking that too. Too long! Maybe then the gentle typhoons. Seem like a good bet. Of course the PSU! Don't know what I was thinking -I guess if you've never done it before it can be confusing! Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I have some Sunon 38mm fans that work great on my watercooling setup. Pretty quiet, but have good static pressure and airflow. I'll check on the exact model when I get home and post.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by prtuc2
View Post

what you can do is use a saw and saw off the corners shown in this thread http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling...1212h1011.html.

Right, but you still have to pin/solder it yourself, or attach it to an existing terminating cable.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nckid4u
View Post

I have some Sunon 38mm fans that work great on my watercooling setup. Pretty quiet, but have good static pressure and airflow. I'll check on the exact model when I get home and post.

Which ones, and where did you get them?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts