Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
jonnyblaze
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been thinking my chip really sucks. Right now I have got it to 4.5ghz with a load voltage of 1.33. I'm using offset at +.025 any lower and bsod. I'm running prime 95 now for 30 min. My max temp is 79c and they hover aroung 69-low 70's. Would this be considered a bad chip. Should temps be lower with the h100. No clue what my ambient is but I do have a window a/c on. I feel like I didn't mount the h100 correct.

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
Seems about right to be honest if using small FFT's, i'm @ 4.6 using the H100 with only the standard 2 fan config (thanks to the cosmos2). My temps are a little lower with a max of 75c on the hottest core @ 1.35v, but i have quite warm ambients and i don't use offset myself.

You could try a remount as sometimes it doesn't get the best flat contact with the IHS. Also make sure you screw it down a bit at a time from point to point seen below, this will make certain that IHS contact is at it's best.

·
jonnyblaze
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhill2029 View Post

Seems about right to be honest if using small FFT's, i'm @ 4.6 using the H100 with only the standard 2 fan config (thanks to the cosmos2). My temps are a little lower with a max of 75c on the hottest core @ 1.35v, but i have quite warm ambients and i don't use offset myself.
You could try a remount as sometimes it doesn't get the best flat contact with the IHS. Also make sure you screw it down a bit at a time from point to point seen below, this will make certain that IHS contact is at it's best.
I have the Cosmos 2 also. What I did was move the h100 rad into the front 2 fan spots and I was able to do a push/pull. The problem is that it is intaking air into the case and you know how on the Cosmos 2 the fan controller housing blocks like half the fan. I think I am still getting pretty good airflow but I really wanted push/pull and I was able to add a fan in the back top slot to cool the ram and mobo. I wonder if this setup is my problem.

Also when I run prime 95 i use the custom setting with everything default except I test 12gb of ram. Should I be using prime 95 different. Will small fft's give me even higher temps.

·
jonnyblaze
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible to tighten the h100 too much. I noticed the last time I remounted it seemed like a lot of the thermal paste pushed out to the sides. and there wasn't a lot on the CPU.

·
Registered
835 Posts
You can make a quick test -> put rad outside of the case. (you will get maximum of your cooler without influence of case)
IMO rad should be on the top of the case (fans pushing air from case through rad outside), also use this short test to establish real advantage of push/pool - I will be not surprised if there is not any different. Also this additional fan over CPU is required for extreme clocks and if you prefer to use LLC over 50%. For 4.5 you should be fine without him.
With that much case fan's connectors on mobo - for what you will need controller ?

·
jonnyblaze
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kope View Post

You can make a quick test -> put rad outside of the case. (you will get maximum of your cooler without influence of case)
IMO rad should be on the top of the case (fans pushing air from case through rad outside), also use this short test to establish real advantage of push/pool - I will be not surprised if there is not any different. Also this additional fan over CPU is required for extreme clocks and if you prefer to use LLC over 50%. For 4.5 you should be fine without him.
With that much case fan's connectors on mobo - for what you will need controller ?
Cosmos 2 has built in fan conroller.

·
jonnyblaze
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While running prime 95 blend with 12gb of ram my temps average about 72c. Is that bad?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strong island 1 View Post

Is it possible to tighten the h100 too much. I noticed the last time I remounted it seemed like a lot of the thermal paste pushed out to the sides. and there wasn't a lot on the CPU.
If paste is squeezed out, you put too much!
The point of thermal paste is to fill micrscopic imperfections between the heatsink and CPU, you want the bare minimum in places where the heatsink has good contact and slightly more where the heatsink has less contact.

Apply a pea sized dot of paste in the middle of the CPU then place the heatsink on top and tighten it all the way. This will allow the paste to move into the areas with worst contact and squeeze away from areas with good contact.

My temps at 4.6Ghz, at 1.408v load, Venomous X with one 120x38mm fan on small FFT hits 79*c. Ambient temp 20*c.

·
jonnyblaze
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjeet View Post

If paste is squeezed out, you put too much!
The point of thermal paste is to fill micrscopic imperfections between the heatsink and CPU, you want the bare minimum in places where the heatsink has good contact and slightly more where the heatsink has less contact.
Apply a pea sized dot of paste in the middle of the CPU then place the heatsink on top and tighten it all the way. This will allow the paste to move into the areas with worst contact and squeeze away from areas with good contact.
My temps at 4.6Ghz, at 1.408v load, Venomous X with one 120x38mm fan on small FFT hits 79*c. Ambient temp 20*c.
Ya I think I used way too much. It was a mess trying to clean it all up. If my vcore was 1.4 I would hit 90c easy. I am going to try the pea method tonight. I'm also using the stock fans. I just bought a couple of those new Corsair fans that have a high static pressure so since I am going to remount tonight I might as well change the fans also.

I only need 1.33 vcore for 4.5ghz so if I could lower the temps and go to 1.4 I should get a nice overclock. i am thinking of doing a custom loop for the cpu.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.