Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okies, so a few months back I acquired an Intel i7-3930k for basically pennies in terms of it's actual cost.. I've been chopping and changing with ideas of what to get or do with it..
The first of my ideas, builds, I had in mind is below. Featuring a P9X79 at heart. (See Signature/Profile)

CPU: Intel 3930k
Mobo: ASUS P9X79
RAM: 8x4GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte 1600MHz
Case: NZXT Phantom / AeroCool Strike-X ST
SSD: 240GB Mushkin Chronos deluxe
GPU: Undecided still.
PSU: Antec HCP-1200 / Seasonic X-1250 (Decided I might want to go large and just leave plenty of spare overhead.)

That's the baseline that probably will need expanding when budget permits and cash starts to flow in.

Another idea, which has no parts to it at present. Is to build a mATX LGA2011 rig. Something fairly small but extremely potent..

I'm considering going to The Gathering in Norway next year. Money and job permitting. And taking something small but packed full of all niceties and storage space.

Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions as to what I can go for?

I don't and won't have a limitless budget, I'm not going to be splashing out £800 on Graphics cards. No way whatsoever, not when I still adore my Unlocked 6950 in Hoshi.

Update 16/10/2012
Added / displaying this image here, just as a little proof I am actually trying to work on this project
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sweet!!, i love the build!
thumbsupsmiley.png

but i recomend Asus rampage iv extreme since of the ocing but my opinion
thumb.gif

i know people will say otherwise on ram size but id say 16gb is best for long term and for those times ur gpu might not have enaugh vram.
i really looking forward to see your build!!!
cheers.gif

Kind regards
Dina

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm with DinaAngel. I'd go for the Asus RIVE or the P9X79 Deluxe (I actually have the Deluxe, and I love it. The RIVE is probably better, though). I'd also go for a 4 x 8GB kit rather than an 8 x 4GB kit. The fewer number of DIMMs, the less chance you will run into problems overclocking the memory. I'd suggest the Mushkin Enhanced Redline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz (1.5v) kit (simply because I have it and it runs great... I haven't tried overclocking them, though).

Everything else is stuff I'd like to have, too.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Drop that PSU down a lot... I mean you can run quad SLI 680s on that thing... Drop down to a quality 750W and grab a second 6970.

Get a better SSD and drop the ram to 4x4GB sticks. you will never need more than 8GB of RAM for gaming anyways, and 4 sticks will give you the quad channel support.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

Drop that PSU down a lot... I mean you can run quad SLI 680s on that thing... Drop down to a quality 750W and grab a second 6970.
Get a better SSD and drop the ram to 4x4GB sticks. you will never need more than 8GB of RAM for gaming anyways, and 4 sticks will give you the quad channel support.
how come i get 30 more fps with 16 gb than 8gb?
im running corsair 1200i psu

and cache faults goes down with more ram

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

I know, I know. I don't need more than 16GB of RAM, by far. But I do regularly need more than 8GB so it's a sacrifice I'll happily make.
Plus when games start breaking the x86 rut I'm expecting to see RAM usage amount jump steadily upwards. So that 'never' statement might be short lived. I know the 3930k will last long enough to see such changes in gaming too..

Quick note on the HD6970, guessing it makes more sense to the the 70 (than 50) as I have an unlocked 50 already and standard 50 would bring my unlock back down to 50 standards.

Also, as the bearer of bad news I am, I might have to put this build off even longer.. TV in my room is definitely on the fritz, I've held out for the last 5-6 months now but it's beyond it's usage hours and way into end of life status.

·
Premium Member
10,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaAngel View Post

Cache fault != page fault (which is what I believe you meant).
smile.gif

Anyway if he wants 16GB of RAM, I say get it 'cause who cares!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowEW View Post

Also, as the bearer of bad news I am, I might have to put this build off even longer.. TV in my room is definitely on the fritz, I've held out for the last 5-6 months now but it's beyond it's usage hours and way into end of life status.
Hint: 3930K build + SiliconDust HDHomeRun TV Tuner == double win!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompsonn View Post

Cache fault != page fault (which is what I believe you meant).
smile.gif

Anyway if he wants 16GB of RAM, I say get it 'cause who cares!!
no the cache is faulty packs from ram, if u have 32gb ram then it will be lower than if u have 16, 8gb then its alot, 4gb then is extreme alot, if u have 128gb ram, then it will be extreme low.

i care about ShadowEW

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0BOX View Post

Hint: 3930K build + SiliconDust HDHomeRun TV Tuner == double win!
Haha, I have a PCIe TV Tuner laying around boxed somewhere. But that's not really of much bother to me. About the old channels I watched are BBCThree of an evening, or Film4.
rolleyes.gif

I'm a console gamer much more than I am a PC gamer (Even if I do spend more time on the PC) and I do like to have all my tech hooked up at the same time. (Call it laziness, but I prefer it all connected and wire managed as well as I can)
At present, I still have connected:
Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Nintendo GameCube, Pioneer DVD Player, Panasonic VHS Player.
I also have the Playstation 3 setup on a basic component output for Streaming / Recording @ 480p via USB.. (I'd make much more use getting a HDMI capture card / DVI-HDMI Convertor / Soundcard for SPDIF than a HD Tuner ~
rolleyes.gif
)

Quote:

i care about ShadowEW
wubsmiley.gif
Dina ~

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowEW View Post

I know, I know. I don't need more than 16GB of RAM, by far. But I do regularly need more than 8GB so it's a sacrifice I'll happily make.
Plus when games start breaking the x86 rut I'm expecting to see RAM usage amount jump steadily upwards. So that 'never' statement might be short lived. I know the 3930k will last long enough to see such changes in gaming too..
Quick note on the HD6970, guessing it makes more sense to the the 70 (than 50) as I have an unlocked 50 already and standard 50 would bring my unlock back down to 50 standards.
In the lifetime of DDR3 and DDR4, I highly doubt games will use more than 8GB. Seeing as now, even the 64bit games barely use more than 4GB. If you are only gaming, you will be perfectly fine with 8GB. Anyways, I would have grabbed 16GB in your case anyway, just to take use of quad-channel. You will never use 32GB RAM unless you are Vboxing or using workstation apps. Gaming will not go over 16GB of a LONG time.
Quote:

A FPS increase has NOTHING to do with RAM....
doh.gif

·
Registered
302 Posts
Quote:

In the lifetime of DDR3 and DDR4, I highly doubt games will use more than 8GB. Seeing as now, even the 64bit games barely use more than 4GB. If you are only gaming, you will be perfectly fine with 8GB. Anyways, I would have grabbed 16GB in your case anyway, just to take use of quad-channel. You will never use 32GB RAM unless you are Vboxing or using workstation apps. Gaming will not go over 16GB of a LONG time.
A FPS increase has NOTHING to do with RAM....
doh.gif
ram works best if its being used 20-50%
same with psu.

reason of fps increase is the reason that CPU can deliver and store faster, even when u put in more ram, that means it can deliver bigger packs the same time since ur filling more Dims, logic says more capacitors in series would do better as it can send faster an longer spike

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:

ram works best if its being used 20-50%
same with psu.
reason of fps increase is the reason that CPU can deliver and store faster
So basically, you are trying to say that a SSD will also increase FPS?
doh.gif
because it is getting "delivered" faster.

SSDs will not increase FPS, having more than 8GB of RAM will not increase FPS because for one, almost all games are 32bit and limited to 4GB of RAM. Also, access time has nothing to do with FPS. It will do with texture loading, but FPS is GPU Dependent.

This is very incorrect information and you will not get an increase of 30 FPS from 8GB to 16GB. Please provide supporting articles and information for bogus accusations.

PSU works best when between 50%-80%

·
Registered
302 Posts
Quote:

So basically, you are trying to say that a SSD will also increase FPS?
doh.gif
because it is getting "delivered" faster.
SSDs will not increase FPS, having more than 8GB of RAM will not increase FPS because for one, almost all games are 32bit and limited to 4GB of RAM. Also, access time has nothing to do with FPS. It will do with texture loading, but FPS is GPU Dependent.
This is very incorrect information and you will not get an increase of 30 FPS from 8GB to 16GB. Please provide supporting articles and information for bogus accusations.
PSU works best when between 50%-80%
it actually does lilbit since cpu does process storage devices some, but id say very little fps change but it is there

you do know programs are the cpu and gpu is the visual, faster cpu means faster it can store the data from gpu and then process it

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:

it actually does lilbit since cpu does process storage devices some, but id say very little fps change but it is there
you do know programs are the cpu and gpu is the visual, faster cpu means faster it can store the data from gpu and then process it
More RAM will not change that, faster ram can, but you might see a 1 FPS difference unless we are talking about DDR2-800 and DDR3-2133. Then you might get a 5FPS increase.

Anyways, you said 30FPS difference from a RAM upgrade. Please show this. A GPU upgrade can give 30FPS difference. A ram upgrade from 8GB to 16GB will not.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Quote:

More RAM will not change that, faster ram can, but you might see a 1 FPS difference unless we are talking about DDR2-800 and DDR3-2133. Then you might get a 5FPS increase.
Anyways, you said 30FPS difference from a RAM upgrade. Please show this. A GPU upgrade can give 30FPS difference. A ram upgrade from 8GB to 16GB will not.
i think u dont understand how an pc works in detail x3.

when u play an game, then programs equal cpu is storing data and sending thru mobo thru pcie and into card, it enters and goes to get stored and then processed and then stored and sendt and then it gets to cpu thru pcie and then gets stored and processed into fps ingame, also some stuff is stored on ssd or HDD where ur pagefile is and alot of things need to work together, and if u set pseed up on ram then its going to do more GFlops what means billion of math calculations per second, 1 gflops is 1 billion math calculations per second, cpu and gpu is in harmony, and theres alot of things u can do to make an cpu fast, HT does half ur GFLOPS so practically it does set ur fps down, i saw quite much fps increase with HT off.

it also has to read from SSD/HDD what to let program give wich data, when did u see whole games get into ram? never, supreme commander folder is 13gb it never goes above 2gb in ram

more dimms means cpu can have more ram bricks to store on same time, means its going to do it faster with less issues and errors, better with many graphic cards than single one

and quantom cpu does use numbers between 1 and 2 what is literally more info than the universe

·
Premium Member
7,653 Posts
I'd sell the 3930K to me.
biggrin.gif

But seriously it's a nice looking rig spec, personally I'd go m-ATX, but you will be pleased with whatever you get.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Quote:

i think u dont understand how an pc works in detail x3.
when u play an game, then programs equal cpu is storing data and sending thru mobo thru pcie and into card, it enters and goes to get stored and then processed and then stored and sendt and then it gets to cpu thru pcie and then gets stored and processed into fps ingame, also some stuff is stored on ssd or HDD where ur pagefile is and alot of things need to work together, and if u set pseed up on ram then its going to do more GFlops what means billion of math calculations per second, 1 gflops is 1 billion math calculations per second, cpu and gpu is in harmony, and theres alot of things u can do to make an cpu fast, HT does half ur GFLOPS so practically it does set ur fps down, i saw quite much fps increase with HT off.
more dimms means cpu can have more ram bricks to store on same time, means its going to do it faster with less issues and errors, better with many graphic card than single one
and quantom cpu does use numbers between 1 and 2 what is literally more info than the universe
I think you don't understand how to build a balanced system for gaming... x3

Where is the proof you are getting 30 more FPS with 16GB of RAM, I am waiting.
proof.gif

A 32Bit applications cannot use more than 4GB of RAM, it is impossible. so having more RAM when it is only able to use 4GB will not change anything.When a proper game is loaded, some of the graphics will be created on the fly. which will result in polygon figures in the game, if you have a slow read speed. It will not affect FPS, but it will look like crap. Having more RAM "bricks' will not change the speed UNLESS you are adding ram to take advantage of Dual/Quad Channel. Otherwise it will have no difference. again, meaning it will be "faster." This has nothing to do with the amount of RAM you actually have.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Quote:

I think you don't understand how to build a balanced system for gaming... x3
Where is the proof you are getting 30 more FPS with 16GB of RAM, I am waiting.
proof.gif

A 32Bit applications cannot use more than 4GB of RAM, it is impossible. so having more RAM when it is only able to use 4GB will not change anything.When a proper game is loaded, some of the graphics will be created on the fly. which will result in polygon figures in the game, if you have a slow read speed. It will not affect FPS, but it will look like crap. Having more RAM "bricks' will not change the speed UNLESS you are adding ram to take advantage of Dual/Quad Channel. Otherwise it will have no difference. again, meaning it will be "faster." This has nothing to do with the amount of RAM you actually have.
nothing is impossible
thumb.gif
reason i say this is since more dims then smaller file on each ram brick and faster it goes, but OS uses more since it doesnt compress itself more in ram,
so ur saying smaller files wont get processed faster?

just try copy 1kb files compared to 100gb files

logic is soo lovely

1 - 20 of 34 Posts