Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll attempt to summarize the problem and my troubleshooting attempts thus far. Every game, occasionally video, or dragging a program across the screen my system experiences a frequent stutter / frame time spike. It's bad, I mean every several seconds down to 1 fps drops all the time. It goes rapid fire mode too! Such cool features of the expensive system. This has been a bit over a year of the same problem.

My system 3950x, X570 Aorus Extreme, Red Devil 5700xt, 1tb mp600, 1250w Platinum G.Skill PSU, razer elite mouse, razer huntsman keyboard ( have none of the razer software installed use Microsoft drivers)

I splurged everything and took a loan on this build and have regretted it immensely. When home I can upload some snapshots of the frame time plot of in games. Again the frame time spikes are every few seconds and can be rapid in a rowe not just one.

What I have done: I've updated through every bios now. Was originally on 970 evo nvme ssd and performed 5 clean installs never saw a change. So I recently purchased the mp600 and another fresh install with no cloning issue persists. So boot drive/ssd crossed off the list imo. Have no other drives connected at this point in time.

Next with the GPU have DDU repeated times, tried drives from 19.0 on to current 20.9.2, used amd cleanup utility also keeps persisting. Nonetheless a fresh install should be better than ddu and have gone through many fresh installs.

I have made sure through each step in the process that chipset drivers were up to date, lan ports, wifi, Bluetooth, Realtek audio, monitor driver, these have all been updated through the steps of troubleshooting. Am I missing a driver that tells my computer to *** work?

I have swapped the GPU from the 5700xt, to the prior vega 64 I had, and the cards work fine on an older system. Okay so no GPU problem maybe

3950x, swapped to 2700x same issue, power supply also worked fine for me on my prior build. I have gone another step purchased a cyberpower pure sine wave UPS and have not seen a change. I have tried 3 different kits of memory 2 being sets of b-die that again work fine on other systems, and a pair of the gtznc "ryzen optimized" g.skill neo ddr4. No change.

At this point I've gone through nearly everything but a new power supply or motherboard.

I am leaning toward a faulty motherboard but need brainstorming ideas from folks on how they have fixed similar issues.

Importantly when I run Latency Monitor I get thousands of hardpage faults and it tells me something in my system is running for too long the ndis.sys I believe. When I am home I can get more specific. Please help I am over PC gaming xbox is 10x the quality at this point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windows is up to date. I'm going to run another full clean install tonight, install latency mon only and see what happens. A question is why am I getting so many hard page faults?? I can see this being the reason for my stutters but I have no idea I've spent more time troubleshooting than playing games I am seriously considering staying console the remainder of my gaming days considering pc as been a rabbit spending hole and more problems.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'll attempt to summarize the problem and my troubleshooting attempts thus far. Every game, occasionally video, or dragging a program across the screen my system experiences a frequent stutter / frame time spike. It's bad, I mean every several seconds down to 1 fps drops all the time. It goes rapid fire mode too! Such cool features of the expensive system. This has been a bit over a year of the same problem.

My system 3950x, X570 Aorus Extreme, Red Devil 5700xt, 1tb mp600, 1250w Platinum G.Skill PSU, razer elite mouse, razer huntsman keyboard ( have none of the razer software installed use Microsoft drivers)

I splurged everything and took a loan on this build and have regretted it immensely. When home I can upload some snapshots of the frame time plot of in games. Again the frame time spikes are every few seconds and can be rapid in a rowe not just one.

What I have done: I've updated through every bios now. Was originally on 970 evo nvme ssd and performed 5 clean installs never saw a change. So I recently purchased the mp600 and another fresh install with no cloning issue persists. So boot drive/ssd crossed off the list imo. Have no other drives connected at this point in time.

Next with the GPU have DDU repeated times, tried drives from 19.0 on to current 20.9.2, used amd cleanup utility also keeps persisting. Nonetheless a fresh install should be better than ddu and have gone through many fresh installs.

I have made sure through each step in the process that chipset drivers were up to date, lan ports, wifi, Bluetooth, Realtek audio, monitor driver, these have all been updated through the steps of troubleshooting. Am I missing a driver that tells my computer to *** work?

I have swapped the GPU from the 5700xt, to the prior vega 64 I had, and the cards work fine on an older system. Okay so no GPU problem maybe

3950x, swapped to 2700x same issue, power supply also worked fine for me on my prior build. I have gone another step purchased a cyberpower pure sine wave UPS and have not seen a change. I have tried 3 different kits of memory 2 being sets of b-die that again work fine on other systems, and a pair of the gtznc "ryzen optimized" g.skill neo ddr4. No change.

At this point I've gone through nearly everything but a new power supply or motherboard.

I am leaning toward a faulty motherboard but need brainstorming ideas from folks on how they have fixed similar issues.

Importantly when I run Latency Monitor I get thousands of hardpage faults and it tells me something in my system is running for too long the ndis.sys I believe. When I am home I can get more specific. Please help I am over PC gaming xbox is 10x the quality at this point.
Are you running any monitoring programs when the stutter occurs? I've had instances where various system monitoring programs have caused stutters every time the program polled the system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not have monitoring services running though I did recently purchase fps monitor to further evaluate the pattern and see if I can troubleshoot on it more, the software was unnecessary in the fact that it was clear as day the stutter being an issue I mean I've lost a bit of my own sanity over the year screwing with this thing.

I just got done with my fresh install, declined all of the tracking / advertising options ofcourse. First thing I've done now is turn off game mode, turned off fast startup, turned off background apps, off startup apps, declined / turned off all the privacy track options, uninstalled unnecessary programs like Skype/one drive. Really stripped everything I can think of and restarted the device for things to take effect and ensured high performance is active.

Do you guys have any more tips/suggestions to optimize windows on a fresh install and really maximize performance through settings? Next step is installing chipset driver, audio drivers, gpu drivers, lan/wifi/Bluetooth. Restarting after each. Will see what my outcome is like here shortly but I don't have much hope.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,145 Posts
I do not have monitoring services running though I did recently purchase fps monitor to further evaluate the pattern and see if I can troubleshoot on it more, the software was unnecessary in the fact that it was clear as day the stutter being an issue I mean I've lost a bit of my own sanity over the year screwing with this thing.

I just got done with my fresh install, declined all of the tracking / advertising options ofcourse. First thing I've done now is turn off game mode, turned off fast startup, turned off background apps, off startup apps, declined / turned off all the privacy track options, uninstalled unnecessary programs like Skype/one drive. Really stripped everything I can think of and restarted the device for things to take effect and ensured high performance is active.

Do you guys have any more tips/suggestions to optimize windows on a fresh install and really maximize performance through settings? Next step is installing chipset driver, audio drivers, gpu drivers, lan/wifi/Bluetooth. Restarting after each. Will see what my outcome is like here shortly but I don't have much hope.
I'd try windows 2004 enterprise

mega

mega.nz /file/3p4zXYpZ

link key (append to end of link)

/rP5G-Yvjw1w3ziOLlxhDf4dnXNMJH9XhGzW1vOJ9YMo

·
Registered
320 Posts
Uninstall all extra programs and close every system tray app exit everything. Only run 1 game/prog at a time. No RTSS osd X11 or afterburner. Cpu ram gpu stock settings. Run a program such as razer gamebooster. This you run as a game launcher and it will disable all windows background processes and unnecessary services. Cap your game frame rate within 10 +\- FPS of your refresh rate. Ex 56 or 64 on a 60hz display. Or 138 or 150 on a 144. Then see if your game hitches or spikes. If it still spikes, try 55 FPS cap on 144 hz

if still, then Iguess mobo or psu. Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just going to assume amd cards suck and can't run 4k, and apparently that xbox can run 4k at smoother frametimes than a pc. When locking fps to 30 or lower than needed to cap the frames it still has a stutter as if it just cannot juggle the consistency of things. I'm quite tired of it and have spent too much time. There is no optimization guide I feel I haven't tried to follow. New power supply on the way. At this point I've spent enough on this system and will be moving to an intel/nvidia platform for the future. Maybe amd has had this issue all along and people are just okay with frame drops. What are your experiences like who has an amd cpu/gpu and plays 1440p or higher normally and can say frametime is fine. 1440 is my usual set up but have been on 4k lately. Either res same experience. Is there a way to better optimize page file? I feel like this could be a cause

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was a bit negative rant but If any more optimization or suggestions with hardware troubleshooting I appreciate the help. I do wonder why I am getting so many hard pagefaults while viewing latencymon I have 32gb ram

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,818 Posts
I presume you disabled Windows game mode and xbox game bar/dvr ?

Also check this tool. See if there's too much latency on desktop idle or just browsing the web. DPC Latency Checker

If you have wireless internet, you can try ethernet connection to the modem/router.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
You did not say in your original post that this FPS stuttering was occurring at a resolution of 4K. The 5700XT is not very good at 4K and FPS will drop a fair bit primarily because the card only has 8GB of memory. That has been my experience. Does this stuttering occur at lower resolutions such as 1080P or 1440P?

·
LTSC for life crew
3,083 Posts
What the OP is describing sounds similar to what other 5700 owners have had issues with. You may need to try an older driver to see if the issue is resolved (I know, it's counter intuitive but may yield results. It did with my Radeon R9 390)

Also check this tool. See if there's too much latency on desktop idle or just browsing the web. DPC Latency Checker

If you have wireless internet, you can try ethernet connection to the modem/router.
Interesting! I ran the tool on my Ryzen 2600 system and this was my immediate result. The two taller bars are from me opening programs.

·
Madonion.com
131 Posts
You did not say in your original post that this FPS stuttering was occurring at a resolution of 4K. The 5700XT is not very good at 4K and FPS will drop a fair bit primarily because the card only has 8GB of memory. That has been my experience. Does this stuttering occur at lower resolutions such as 1080P or 1440P?
My old RTX2080 has 8GB and it's been running 4k pretty good, never stuttered due to low memory either. What he is describing is a typical amd issue many people have been complaining about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yeah I've disabled game mode & the dvr/game bar options. Have also gone through turning off background apps/startup etc. So far just recently performed another clean install did my optimizations and fresh drivers left all extra programs out for now no difference in performance. Does anyone have an extra step/ layer they take for windows 10 performance improvements/optimizations? I'm all ears for maximizing the most from the OS. It is good to hear (in a way?) that this is a common problem but at the same time it does not feel common. At lower resolutions the problem is still there, not as frequent but there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am also currently on ethernet connection, & the latency monitor program is the same in essence as the DPC latency checker aforementioned. At idle states, my latency responses are not out of hand and I get the green light from the program. I get hard pagefaults every few seconds leading to after 5 minutes a few hundred hard pagefaults but no error in terms of latency with drivers. When I begin a program though it does flag for latency errors some being kernel, audio, ndis.sys not seeing any other if I recall.

A question, with these hard pagefaults I've tried reading ways to prevent this from happening cause it seems to cause system latency. Is there an optimization for preventing hard pagefaults or better executing these operations? & if I disable the page file with having 32gb RAM are there any daily scenario I even need page file or a way to keep page file but have first priority always maximizing my ram before the page file?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Have you even tested BIOS settings? VDDG, VDDP, VSOC?

Sounds like stability issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I've even tested. I'm escalating it to forum for good cause as mentioned I've swapped everything on the system this has been 1 year troubleshooting stock or tuned. I am surprised no amd user has seen the post with a 3rd gen ryzen cpu and Radeon gpu combo & exhibit the same experience?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interestingly, posted above I mentioned I performed clean install / optimized through windows as much as I can think and updated drivers. Launched a game and noticed worse and longer pauses in the stutter than before. Any ideas on why its such a frequent and long hitch? I'm taking the system apart and rebuilding /installing a new psu.

Latency DPC monitor shows errors with hd audio bus drivers latency. Again. After reassembly I'll update to let you know. Thats the last of all componentry aside from the motherboard.

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,818 Posts
Audio latency can be tied to mechanical disks not reading the files fast enough so you get stutters when they are first used. Same for textures but they won't show up on dpc latency.

It's weird you don't have a mechanical disk and get stutters. Do you have a pagefile ? You really have no SATA disks connected ? I would try a conventional disk or a sata ssd to see if it's about NVME.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts