Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it'll be like the roccat kiro/ ninox astrum with a part file for interchangeable sides.
It's 105mm long 56 wide 32 high, will have slits in the side to slide on the changeable sides(not done yet), the base is for an ROG sica, over time I'll add new bases(different posts/lense holder) for different pcb's(g303 or g102 nxt).
I know it looks ugly from the top lol i'll add some comfort grooves maybe i dunno we'll see when i get it working and figure out what way is best to clip or screw the top and bottom together i'll share the files, ppl hoggin the printer in class so gotta be patient to test it RNGbless.
you guys crying about shells should learn how to use solidworks I like it so far pretty easy to pick up too, if you do I'll be dumping designs here over the next few months and you can mod them yourselves.
whole mouse should be 50g or so prob less.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you wanted to try something new, you could design a mouse with a higher front so that there would be space for a fingertip optical sensor.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did some more work on it today, and printed a quick draft version, buttons fell through and screwed up some of the rest of the print(no support cause im an idiot and new to this xd thought the software i was using would auto create beams from the base for it), It's almost identical to a m100 in size but much nicer shape, prob gona have to make it thinner to have the modular sides otherwise all together it'll be too wide but as a stand alone ambi shape it's pretty decent wanna add some curvature like the kana/kinzu on the right side for my little finger to grip, and off course make space for the scroll wheel which is why it looks so odd i realized LOL. All of this nxt week when i have time, then comes the 1st full prototype :)
Also weight is 47g for the shell with pcb prob gona be 75 or so, pcb pretty heavy for sica.

Attachments

·
Ex-resident Kinzu shill
2,074 Posts
Butt and sides give me a sort of Ninox Aurora vibe rather than the Astrum, luckily I have access to Solidworks since forever and my dad is a professional modeler (creates Speaker systems and stuff, worked on Amazon's Alexa) so I could always ask him for tips.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would recommend making it a tad larger, so it doesn't feel heavy. Small mice have all the weight concentrated in an area, and feel heavier than a much larger mice and a bit more weighty.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend making it a tad larger, so it doesn't feel heavy. Small mice have all the weight concentrated in an area, and feel heavier than a much larger mice and a bit more weighty.
I can always add more length to it later if ppl want longer mouse files for me its fine i fingertip grip anyway

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have it printed will post pics soon, but i don't like the shape flat sides and rectangle shape no bueno for claw style grips need some pinky finger support, nxt shape will be more like g303 right hand side/ mad catz mice love than flat side at 30 degree or so angle feels so good so gonna make a thinner version for rog pcb still(pretty ez to work with).
I'll add space for a mouse wheel and prob uplad the files somewhere, works good for pure claw and straight finger grips/maybe palm but pretty flat at the back. The back is more rounded than the last picks i uplaoded kinda a mix between g100 roundness and kinzu shape without the flairs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
nxt shape will be more like g303 right hand side/ mad catz mice love than flat side at 30 degree or so angle feels so good
Haha, doing my best to understand this part. So you're going to keep the sides flat, but slant them like the G303? That's the only reason the G303 isn't the perfect mouse for me, unfortunately. For someone who likes to have straight-ish fingers, straight sides are very essential. I definitely appreciate the slanted sides for curled fingers, but sounds like this one may not be for me. Definitely going to keep my eyes on it, though. Good luck!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Haha, doing my best to understand this part. So you're going to keep the sides flat, but slant them like the G303? That's the only reason the G303 isn't the perfect mouse for me, unfortunately. For someone who likes to have straight-ish fingers, straight sides are very essential. I definitely appreciate the slanted sides for curled fingers, but sounds like this one may not be for me. Definitely going to keep my eyes on it, though. Good luck!
already printing sample shapes atm 1st one is like corsair m45 shape then i have another with straighter left side and angled right side like g303 or m45 or mad catz mice.
I'm putting more time onto this one 1st one was to test a bunch of printing settings mostly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
already printing sample shapes atm 1st one is like corsair m45 shape then i have another with straighter left side and angled right side like g303 or m45 or mad catz mice.
I'm putting more time onto this one 1st one was to test a bunch of printing settings mostly.
I love the idea of a slanted right side in terms of top down, like this | \ or like this / \
... but mice lose me when they start to slant inwards towards the base - so from the back of the mouse like this \__/

Still a bit confused which angle you're talking about, but if it's the one I'm referencing then good gosh sign me up for one of these.

EDIT: I feel like the M45 shape would be awesome, but I never went ahead and tried it due to the thumb rest on the left side. Having the thumb be able to make contact with the pad allows it to act like a brake and apply some added control / resistance when needed. It's one of the reasons I can't use the Kone Pure Owl-Eye, which is otherwise a great shape in my opinion.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
its l l from the front not l / etc. straight sides, from top its m45/m65/g303 shape but thinner overall (65mm max vs 69) but it's NOT ambi, i will make a ambi version and prob just invert some dimensions for a left handed version from the TOP it's basically g303 with a flatter side for the thumb like this l \ , i like having the back flair for pinky to rest on cause i claw/fingertip.
Also update on the 1st one i printed everything is alligned with the pcb etc, but the "clip" i made for the bottom to slide into the top didn't print properly and that's the problem with 3D printing i find it tends to mess up on small areas with multiple angles if attached to a larger body so 2 part designs prob not the best for 3d printing, some one else who did an amazing job on a g303 shell made his in about 4 pieces each one more simple on it's own and it printed out nicely. still learning and adapting to this ^_^.
EDIT: here's pics.
lemme me know what u think might make it taller it 27 tall atm kinda razer jugan/old abyssus territory atm.
it's again 105 long the back is 40mm wide then 65 at the widest part and 50 at the front it's not ambi the right side is more angled than the left. gonna make the base and lense holder etc now so ill leave the top like this to edit it if u have any ideas.
images are front, iso, side then top.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
its l l from the front not l / etc. straight sides, from top its m45/m65/g303 shape but thinner overall
Okay, so we were actually describing the exact same thing it sounds like - probably some miscommunication somewhere - but this sounds great to me. The G303 is almost perfect in my opinion, but those slanted sides reduce the overall contact with my fingertips. I actually went ahead and took a few pictures to try and demonstrate this. The first is showing how my fingers are relaxed / straight (sounds like yours might be more curled / clawed). The second photo shows how little contact there is between the shell and my ring / pinky fingers. The third photo, although a bit weird, was just to show how much more contact there is for the ring / pinky fingers when the mouse is flipped upside down (so the slant comes towards the fingers, rather than away). I imagine totally straight / flat sides would be a perfect balance of fingertip contact (heavily benefits aim) and ease of picking up the mouse (no silly ledges, slants, or curves required).

lemme me know what u think might make it taller it 27 tall atm
Personally, I'm not too picky about height. The only thing I tend to notice makes a big difference, is that mice with gradual humps (as opposed to the tallest part being right at the back) seem to have misleading lengths, since the part that actually makes contact with the palm is so much further up. I feel like this style of hump results in awkward wasted space where it's so sloped down / low that you're not touching it anyways, but it also limits the amount of vertical movement forwards / backwards in the palm, since that unused space is just sitting there in the way.

it's again 105 long
It sounds like you're making a fantastic shape for both yourself and others that share these similar feelings. Unfortunately the total length of 105mm makes it a bit too short for me, personally. I used the NKEY G007 and FKMINI2 recently, and while both were fantastic in shape, they were just a touch too small in length for me. I would kill for a shape like this that sits between the 115mm - 120mm range (like G303, G100s, G Pro, KPOE, ZA13, etc.) If you ever make something like that please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ye my fingers are more clawed than yours, i move the mouse allong the y axis with my fingers and swipe with arm/wrist. I'll post more pics later this week im working on some other stuff that takes a bit of time(docking station for samsung s7/8 etc.) but i printed the shape above it's VERY small so im making it taller/ more like g303 height and making it wider /closer to m65/m45 width
EDIT: pics top and front. can't get the lighting decent for the curvature of the shell cause options suk on solidworks and can't figure out shadow settings for objects and docking/charging station for the father cause im on a printing spree ^_^

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this thread has devolved into me posting designs as i learn more ways to model and more about the processes of production ^_^. I've printed two mice now they work but the quality is funky everything need the be printed with as much support as possible, with that in mind the 2 part shells i've done would need to be split into 4-5 pieces to get a smooth print. anway imma hold off on printing till i get some polymer clay to test some shapes ergonomics wise also the mice are both under 55 grams less than i imagined super light but i doubt manufacturers are willing to make mice with .4mm walls and infill to strengthen them especially since you can only print solids with molds and 3d printing is too expensive to be viable atm.
Here's the 2 main shells im working on atm these are just the shape files.
one is a m45/ g100 inspired design the other is rival 100/ roccat kone inspired. both 110mm or so i belive. Im making shell for claw/finger atm. both right handed by design but ill test the 1st ones shape and make it ambi if i feel it'll be ok

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That yellow one looks amazing to aim with.
then you'll like this one. i'm gonna focus on this one for now get it working with rog sica and g303 pcb and printing SMOOTH :/.
might make back more round before i start cutting it up to make it slot together post production and bring the sides forward for more of that g303 look.
This is basically kinzu/g303 baby right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
then you'll like this one. i'm gonna focus on this one for now get it working with rog sica and g303 pcb and printing SMOOTH :/.
might make back more round before i start cutting it up to make it slot together post production and bring the sides forward for more of that g303 look.
This is basically kinzu/g303 baby right now.
Yeah, that looks so nice. If it was long enough for me (115-120mm) it'd pretty much be my perfect shape. Looking forward to seeing you progress with this one - good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts