Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Overclock, or buy new CPU?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
you're on overclock.net
just overclock it.
and no, its not worth it since core 2 duo is out... and better in everything even at stock speeds.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I would oc it but then my processor starts to make a weird beeping noise. The harder i clock it the harder it gets. BTW I have a crappy asrock mainboard.

·
Registered
226 Posts
maby mobo isint ment to be oc'd, my recomendtaion would be to get a new mother board and a core 2 duo if u want a serious performance upgrade, and then for more performance oc it, dont go buy the frequency on the core 2 duos the whole arcitecture is just better and it does more with less

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
A 400 MHz clock-speed increase on a netburst CPU (like your Pentium 4) will not make a large increase in performance, i.e., its not worth it for you to buy a new CPU. However, if you were to save that money and upgrade to a Core 2 Duo CPU and motherboard, such as the E6300+Gigabyte DS3, you would see a sizable performance increase. Then, if you overclocked from there, it would become huge!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hansie

The harder i clock it the harder it gets.

Yeah, guess we've all been there. Don't worry, though - it'll go soft once you find out your max oc is lower than expected

1 - 8 of 8 Posts