Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a new spin on an old problem. Added a 3 TB HDD, this is how windows recognizes it (img). BIOS sees it at 3TB

My attempted actions:
  • Initialized both "disks" as GPT, formatted the 2.8TB as NTFS to max of 2.8TB.
  • Tried formatting the 0.7TB but it wouldn't even let me. (and subsequently wouldn't allow using the letter I attempted to assign it. As in the letters were just removed from the list when attempting to assign again.)
  • Was able to "expand" the initial partition, but it would then have performed as a "Dynamic Disk" and that's not right.

HDD: WDD Black 3TB 7200rpm
MB: ASrock z97 OC formula
CPU: i7-4790k

·
Ever Forward.
6,524 Posts
Maybe try zeroing the drive. I had a similar issue with a Hitachi 3TB, tho it was just seeing the drive as 768GB.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Imagery View Post

Maybe try zeroing the drive. I had a similar issue with a Hitachi 3TB, tho it was just seeing the drive as 768GB.
Not quite sure what "zeroing" means.

Yeah, and the weird thing is, I have a whole 2794.39 GB available in "Disk 1", which is just near 3TB, but then that extra 746.39GB which would net me at 3540GB... which is 0.5TB more than what I expected.. So I'm not sure if the drive is being recognized as smaller as what it should be, or if it's being recognized at full capacity, and then that 746.39 is just being weird..

I'm able to only format one of the two, but not both together... so odd.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You need to delete the whole partition,reinitialize as GPT & reformat to see full amount useable...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalgren65 View Post

You need to delete the whole partition,reinitialize as GPT & reformat to see full amount useable...
It's really late, so I'll give you a pass lol At least you tried to help help lol
rolleyes.gif
It's already been initialized as GPT

Okay, here we go, so it looks like 2794.39 is the full space of the disk, cause manufacturers recognize 3TB as 3,000,000,000,000 bytes, which when divided by the actual GB size 1,073,741,824, comes out to just that, 2794.39 GB... so it looks like I've got all of my HDDs space that was advertised in "Disk 1"...

So the real question is... what is that extra 746.39GB, and where did it come from? *aliens*

Edit: got my letters back as options after refreshing lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a feeling ASrocks 3TB unlocker has something to do with this. It's installed, and it turns out it's only for 32-bit systems, to allow THEM to use 3TB drives. Gonna try some tests here.

·
Ever Forward.
6,524 Posts
That could quite possibly have soemthign to do with it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Uninstalled "3TB+ unlocker," restarted, and now showing only 1 disk with that same 2.8 TB.

No 3TB unlocker on 64-bit systems guys!

WE DID IT! lol
santa.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts