Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
The way I understand it is you can have as many harddrives in raid0 as your raid controller supports.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,744 Posts
Get two more. Do RAID 0+1.

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
okay, so your answer is yes. i'm not a RAID guru, but i believe it doubles your throughput but has no effect on your seek time.

i play CoD2 with a friend of mine that has a Raptor. i have two 7200 RPM drives in RAID-0 and i am always the first person in when a new map loads. my buddy with the Raptor is pissed because he used to always be the first, now it's me. for price/performance, i'd pick 7,200 RPM RAID over 10,000 RPM without.

·
Banned
3,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook
View Post

Yup , listen to us and you will be happy , and if a drive or two fail you will be good

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
i love how all these people with 1 hard drive are so happy to spend your money for you

are we really that worried about hard drive failure? i have RAID-0 and sleep like a baby at night. i realize that i have now tempted fate by saying this and one of my drives will surely fail while i sleep tonight, but come on. they're pretty realiable. i'd bet money my CPU fan will fail before either of my HDDs do. i'd also bet money that i have a new computer before any of those things fail.

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBungle
View Post

i love how all these people with 1 hard drive are so happy to spend your money for you

I have 2, I agree with them. Get another drive and run a RAID 0+1.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akatsuki No Tobi
View Post

If I were to use 0+1 would I have to get a RAID controller?

RTFM!

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...11&l3=397&l4=0

Quote:

* NVIDIA MediaShieldâ„¢ RAID supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD span cross Serial ATA drives

• Rep+
Reactions: gonX

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Performance increases linearly as far as I know. 3 in RAID 0 are 3 times faster than one drive (apart from the SATA raid controller overhead that decreases the speed a bit). RAID 0+1 is for who cares about 100% data integrity WITHOUT doing backups. On my home PC I have games, pictures and music, all of them backed up on DVDs. If my HDD fails, I'll be upset, but in the end all that I have to do is to reinstall WIN on another HDD, and that's it. RAID 0+1 - no way.

I've seen you have a WD 160 GB, and I'm searching for a silent 160GB HDD to RAID 0. How is yours doing while searching? Is it above or below the ambient noise?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragosmp
View Post

Performance increases linearly as far as I know. 3 in RAID 0 are 3 times faster than one drive (apart from the SATA raid controller overhead that decreases the speed a bit). RAID 0+1 is for who cares about 100% data integrity WITHOUT doing backups. On my home PC I have games, pictures and music, all of them backed up on DVDs. If my HDD fails, I'll be upset, but in the end all that I have to do is to reinstall WIN on another HDD, and that's it. RAID 0+1 - no way.

I've seen you have a WD 160 GB, and I'm searching for a silent 160GB HDD to RAID 0. How is yours doing while searching? Is it above or below the ambient noise?

Cheers!

Diminishing returns... Generically and assuming a good controller
1 HD = 100%
2 HDs = 180%
3 HDs = 220%
4 HDs = 260%

There will always be an overheard of transferring the data, buffering, etc. RAID0 just reduces the time waiting for the head finding a sector. It only helps with one part of the process of reading/writing data.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook
View Post

How is he supposed to do RAID0+1 with 3 drives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Diminishing returns... Generically and assuming a good controller
1 HD = 100%
2 HDs = 180%
3 HDs = 220%
4 HDs = 260%

Where is this information from? It sounds about right based upon the fact that my 4 HDDs give me 210% performance on the southbridge, but it would be nice to know where you got that from.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akatsuki No Tobi
View Post

I know it supports RAID 0+1, but I was wondering if it is similar to RAID5. I would definitely not use RAID5 without a controller, but I'm wondering if this is also supposed to be the case for RAID 0+1.

And is the performance between RAID0 and 0+1 pretty similar?

http://www.overclock.net/news-overcl...rc-1220-a.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645
View Post

Where is this information from? It sounds about right based upon the fact that my 4 HDDs give me 210% performance on the southbridge, but it would be nice to know where you got that from.

Made the numbers up to illustrate a point! They are guesstimates.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
There will always be an overheard of transferring the data, buffering, etc. RAID0 just reduces the time waiting for the head finding a sector. It only helps with one part of the process of reading/writing data.
Isn't that backwards? RAID0 does not decrease seek time (which is what I'm assuming you mean by finding a sector), but it increases the speed at which data can be read/written. Correct me if I am wrong...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts