Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I want to build a fast system to run MS Flight Sim X. I bought a new 23" 2ms HDMI ready monitor and I have two older VGA LCD monitors. I want to use the Nvidia GTX 285 1GB 512 bit GPU with the new monitor to run the main window of FSX. I also bought 2 GeForce 9500 1GB 128 bit GPUs. I want these two GPUs to each power one of my older LCD monitors. I want to spread my Desktop across all three monitors.
I already know FSX is heavily CPU bound so I have an i7-960 3.2 GHz CPU running on an ASUS P6T6 mobo with 6GB 1600 Corsair ram. I know that FSX does not use multi-threading, nor will it use SLI technology. I don't need SLI either because I don't play games (too old). I just want to be sure I can use these three graphics cards together on the same motherboard and spread my desktop across all three monitors? Thanks for your help. This has really got me confused.
Mike

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
you only need one gtx285 and one of those 9500 for the third monitor.. get rid of the other one. and even tho fsx is not a milti threaded aplication it will love the i7 but make sure that you overclock it to at least 4ghz.. i play fsx almost maxed out and a smooth fps.. never below 40fps.

·
OG
4,073 Posts
Well here's the thing, unless you use a Triple Head 2 Go (TH2G), you wont get a flawless multi-monitor scenario going up, you'll have to create new windows (2 of them) by pressing either the '[' or the ']' key I can't remember which, and all you need is to run 2 monitors off the 285 and then 1 off the 9500 and you'll be good to go. You'll also want a higher overclock on the CPU unless you're doing 3 monitors with EyeFinity or TH2G, because it's so much harder for some reason on the computer to do 1680x1050 x 3 than 5040x1050 (I'm assuming your resolution is, and that's what I use for FSX, so I'm just giving an example)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by manolith
View Post

you only need one gtx285 and one of those 9500 for the third monitor.. get rid of the other one. and even tho fsx is not a milti threaded aplication it will love the i7 but make sure that you overclock it to at least 4ghz.. i play fsx almost maxed out and a smooth fps.. never below 40fps.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Now I have just one more question, I think. Do you mean run the new monitor on the gtx 285 and the two older monitors on one 9500? I plan on having supplemental programs in separate windows on the two older monitors. If I use both 9500, will I slow things down or generate more heat or what? Each 9500 only cost me $56.00 and my Asus P6T6 mobo has 6 PCI slots. Or would I just be wasting money. Hopefully Newegg will take it back unopened? Thanks again,
Mike

·
OG
4,073 Posts
It would be advisable to run both monitors off the 285, and have the 3rd off the 9500, don't bother putting in the 3rd 9500, though you could try it see if it helps fps in FSX at all over 2 cards... I'd be interested in seeing the results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts