Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I plan on buy three 24" monitors for work/gaming. Any suggestions on what to buy? I'm thinking on Dell maybe a set of the Korean monitors out there, just afraid I might get dead pixels or they wont last as long.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
UltraSharps have very good warranty, zero bright defective pixel and all that. These should also have a displayport, so they will work good.

However, the korean ips have approx twice the number of pixels. I personally would go with the korean 2560x1440 displays in combination of some VESA mounts and I would use them in portrait (get as thin bezels as you can find and make sure there is VESa mounting holes as well present).

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolesco View Post

Take a look at 120 Hz... night and day with 60 hz (smoothness) , Look for the Benq XL series
The problem with 120 Hz is that these are so far always regular TN screens. Which in turn means several limitations like (1) only landscape use bcos of viewing angles, (2) in multiple display setups even in landscape viewing angles can cause visibly degraded image quality, (3) up to 1920x1200 resolution max (which is not a fault of TN but bandwidth though).

Given the limitations I would argue that unless the OP needs the 120 Hz for 3D stuff hes better off with 27'' 2560x1440 IPS screen.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the korean monitors in mind, just afraid that they might have a few dead pixels. I've also heard that having to return a monitor is a big hassle.

I also do not plan on using any 3D Gaming or such. Just want an good setup that will let me multi-task/ game now and then on all three monitors.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richaye View Post

I have the korean monitors in mind, just afraid that they might have a few dead pixels. I've also heard that having to return a monitor is a big hassle.
I also do not plan on using any 3D Gaming or such. Just want an good setup that will let me multi-task/ game now and then on all three monitors.
Given that these Korean displays tend to use A- class screens some dead pixels are almost guaranteed, I would think. Thats the main reason why they are so cheap. Same resolution, but with zero dead pixel policy are the 27'' UltraSharps, for example, from DELL and you can get almost three Korean 27'' displays for the price of the one DELL 27'' UltraSharp.

In my experience the dead pixels are not an issue and based on the reports on the various Korean display threads I would say that on average it seems that there is somewhere around 1 to 3 dead pixels and more screens have 0 dead pixels than 10 of them (max allowed amount, assuming they are in very specific locations).

Keep in mind that its a 27'' screen with pretty high ppi, so if you sit more than 60cm from it (which is reasonable, considering the size of the screen) you will not see individual pixels, unless you have unnaturally keen vision (better than 20/20).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniflex View Post

The problem with 120 Hz is that these are so far always regular TN screens. Which in turn means several limitations like (1) only landscape use bcos of viewing angles, (2) in multiple display setups even in landscape viewing angles can cause visibly degraded image quality, (3) up to 1920x1200 resolution max (which is not a fault of TN but bandwidth though).
Given the limitations I would argue that unless the OP needs the 120 Hz for 3D stuff hes better off with 27'' 2560x1440 IPS screen.
As OP ask for a gaming monitor, 120 Hz is the way. Yes, they are TN (so best response times and less input lag for gaming). I am using triple LGs for gaming, (I have laterals at 15 degrees) and I do not have any problems with degraded images (In my LGs it is very low, for example).

And I am recomending 120 hz because for gaming are way superior than 60Hz if you are concerned about response, input lag and smoothnes (so gaming!) . The only con is that you must mantain higer frame than 60hz to enjoy these type of monitors.

·
Registered
209 Posts
@OP: I would definitely go with an IPS monitor since you will not only game on this monitor.

If high frame rates are truly your concern, then I just want to add that the out of all the Korean monitors, the Catleap was overclocked by a fellow OC'er (see video here) to 120 hz.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion View Post

@OP: I would definitely go with an IPS monitor since you will not only game on this monitor.
If high frame rates are truly your concern, then I just want to add that the out of all the Korean monitors, the Catleap was overclocked by a fellow OC'er (see video here) to 120 hz.
As what this guy said is true all the ebay catleaps can only achieve a max of 67hz overclock since they use a different PCB.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Hit up your local microcenter if you're looking for those korean monitors. I have no idea if those particular ones will reach you the 120Hz for 3d, however, that definitely is a viable alternative if you have one of those in a relatively close distance to where you are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts