Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so im oc my fx 8320 and so far im at 4.6ghz on stock volts. How is this possible? Most of the forums i go to they atleast had to bump up the volts a little bit and are getting hight temps. Im using AIDA64 and speed fans to record my temps and the highest ive gotten on both was 54c on full load. Did i get a really good cpu for oc or am i do something wrong? i notice i do get a bit more stuttery at 4.6 at full load but i assume thats because my voltage is drooping. core voltage 1.356 multiplier 20 htt clock 230. i am doing this way of oc because i was hoping to make my ram faster as well. thanks for the help in advance, cheers.
specs:
FX 8320
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Cooler Master hyper 212 plus (dual fan)
8gb G.SKILL ripjaw 1866mhz
ASUS hd 7790 direct cu2 2gb
650w bronze thermaltake psu

2tb wd green

·
Premium Member
10,772 Posts
I don't really know Piledriver, but Aida64 isn't extremely stressful for some other CPU's - does it work fine under IBT etc?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea it works fine, it just seems really odd that i can get this on a cooler like this and at stock volts. I know AIDA64 isnt very stressful but i thought it would relate better to real world tasks better then prime95 would. I only usually game and surf the web. I will render a few vids on sony vegas here and there but i wouldnt assume it would be as stressful as prime 95 but more compared to AIDA64

·
Registered
626 Posts
Its not out of the realm of possibility for FX CPUs, but as Cyro said I would try a few other stability tests. IBT, OCCT, and Prime95 are a few to choose from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh by IBT i thought you meant internet based tasks. I heard IBT was more stressful then prime and the reason im not using prime is because i want it to be a little more close to basic day to day tasks like gaming and slight rendering

·
Registered
626 Posts
The entire point of a "stress test" is to stress the CPU.
biggrin.gif
It works the CPU harder than it normally to make sure that you will never get issues with normal usage. If you are afraid of breaking it, try OCCT first. It has a hardware monitor built in so you can set temp thresholds where it will auto-shutdown if it gets into the danger zone. I would still run a good long prime95 overnight at some point though, its great for finding the slightest bit of instability.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkston View Post

The entire point of a "stress test" is to stress the CPU.
biggrin.gif
It works the CPU harder than it normally to make sure that you will never get issues with normal usage. If you are afraid of breaking it, try OCCT first. It has a hardware monitor built in so you can set temp thresholds where it will auto-shutdown if it gets into the danger zone. I would still run a good long prime95 overnight at some point though, its great for finding the slightest bit of instability.
This.

IBT avx is meant to stress your cpu its faster then prime95 but your usually stable if you can run very high 10passes.

Prime95 doesn't matter how long you run it as long as you get through all the calculations you should be fine. some say 12hours is stable others say 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
With my 8320, I used 1.344v to get 4;51 ghz prime95 stable. I was getting 58c under prime95 load. While gaming, it never saw over 48c.

You should really run prime95 and see what your temps are, and if your OC is 100% stable.

Also, have you manually set your Vcore to something, or is it just on some Auto setting? And same for any LLC

·
Registered
263 Posts
You should try prime95 or better IBT to really stress test the cpu. I had the same config like you fx8320 + ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 + Evo 212 and I couldn't reach more than 4.2Ghz with good temps. It is also possible that your cpu is throttling. Check your cpu clock when stress testing to find it out. If after all suggested tests you are stable, then you got a wonder chip.

·
Riding on the edge
3,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurisu View Post

yea it works fine, it just seems really odd that i can get this on a cooler like this and at stock volts. I know AIDA64 isnt very stressful but i thought it would relate better to real world tasks better then prime95 would. I only usually game and surf the web. I will render a few vids on sony vegas here and there but i wouldnt assume it would be as stressful as prime 95 but more compared to AIDA64
This will help you with your rig sig which makes it easier for all of us to help you http://www.overclock.net/t/1258253/how-to-put-your-rig-in-your-sig

I agree with Yorkston,
Aida64 stress test is no where near enough for the FX. It's a mild test at best. This is what is giving you the misconception of stability at this point.
I recommend you work your way up testing with IBT AVX found here http://www.overclock.net/attachments/13202

Start with standard or high setting with quick runs of 10 passes. If it passes try 10 runs on very high, than on maximum but pay close attention to your temps.
When my OC can pass 20 runs on max than it's time to start with Prime95. Yes I test for 24 hrs with P95.

Use HWInfo64 to monitor temp and voltages and you might want to add active cooling over the VRM's.

If you want to learn about stability and why it's important give this a good read http://www.overclock.net/t/990229/stress-testing-warning/20#post_13127125
This post is from a very respected member here at OCN and says it like it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I manually set the voltage to stock voltage before I started my oc. I now had to up the voltage to 1.38 cuz I froze, so far working fine.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Prime95 would be what I would use to find out if my oc was truly stable at that voltage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You got a really nice chip. I was at 4.3 with 1.4V. To try and get 4.4 I need more than 1.45V, and there my socket temp goes sky high. Now I'm testing 4.4 with bus.

Gratz on that chip
biggrin.gif

And yeah, Intel Burn test or prime95 are the tools for the job. good luck

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Looks like you have a nice chip.
I'd be going for 5GHz if you can keep it under 65c!
Hell even if it took 1.45-1.5v to get to 5GHz, it would be worth it. Vieshera's performance per clock scaling begins to taper off slightly after 4.8, but doesn't significantly fall off until after 5+GHz, so if you can get there, you'd have a really good performer.

Sure, the efficiency would be out the window, but you'd be closing in on stoc/mild OC i7 performance in some cases at that speed.

Edit: Mind you I said "closing in" not achieving..... no flames please
biggrin.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts