Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
OMG we'll have so many cores and only like 4 max will be used, sure 2 is hardly used yet. 4 is enuf!. 2 for processes 1 physics etc

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Thats rediculous. Instead of piling on cores, which will generate more heat....why don't they try to develop something new? Its the MHZ war, re-birthed as cores.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Quote:
Thats rediculous. Instead of piling on cores, which will generate more heat....why don't they try to develop something new? Its the MHZ war, re-birthed as cores.
Exactly They keep putting more cores on cpus and they cant actuarly be used by alot of software at the moment. They should make faster processors on single cores

·

29,532 Posts
Next question:
What will 3DMark06 reach in the CPU score? (10 fps at least, lmao)

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
this is for servers, XP Home/Pro cant really even fully use dual core at the moment. but Windows Server editions are written for multiple cores, so it can use four, or 16 cores with the same efficientcy. Besides, AMD's server CPUs have a better rep in the server world the the Xeons.

OH, the new world super computer by IBM is being built with like 1400 Opterons... no Xeons Oh Snap!

Sweet find though.
~Teh Higgins

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins
this is for servers, XP Home/Pro cant really even fully use dual core at the moment. but Windows Server editions are written for multiple cores, so it can use four, or 16 cores with the same efficientcy. Besides, AMD's server CPUs have a better rep in the server world the the Xeons.

OH, the new world super computer by IBM is being built with like 1400 Opterons... no Xeons Oh Snap!

Sweet find though.
~Teh Higgins
Thats probably because IBM had already planned it before Intel had released its Core 2 architecture. Funny that IBM isnt using its own Power5 or CELL processors - must not be as good as the Opterons

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HrnyGoat

Thats probably because IBM had already planned it before Intel had released its Core 2 architecture. Funny that IBM isnt using its own Power5 or CELL processors - must not be as good as the Opterons

That the other type of CPU they're using, the opterons to do application/ OS type operations and their CELL CPUs to just crunch numbers

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
They're building it with Socket F dual-core Opty's and Cells. They will plug in the quad-core Opty's once they have enough.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
Heh, unfortunate that its too late to switch to Intel. Intel = More performance per $ in the server world, not to mention marginally less power consumption, but im pretty sure i've said it a thousand times by now

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
the more cores the better once a app is coded for 2 its coded for as many as needed its caled multi threded not dual core coded and o yeah TAKE THAT AMD 4x4

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
oh man... i bet jrabb is getting all worked up
lol j/k

16 3.5ghz kentsfield cores all folding 24/7 plus 4 X1950XTX folding 24/7.. i wonder how many points per day that system would produce, 15000?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
mmm server....
*drools***
I can't tell how much I would want that as mine for server.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts