Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded my two rigs. My second rig got my 3700+ san diego and I bought a new 4000+ san diego for my main system. In another post discussion about motherboards I was told that the two chips would have identical performance regardless of the fact that the 4000+ has a 12x multiplier and the 3700+ a 11x. Is this true? I can't accurately bench the differences as my two systems have different video cards, motherboards and ram. My rig two is 3700+, asus A8N-SLI Premium, Gigabyte 6600GT (I had two in SLI but sold one of them, don't really need it for this system), 2 x 512 MB Enhanced Latency Platinum OCZ RAM, and a 36 GB Raptor.

I got a really good deal on the 4000+ (It only ended up costing me a few bucks more than a 3700+ would have) but it would be frustrating to find out that the new chip doesn't give more bang than the old one.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
You could run CPU intensive benchmarks and compare. Run Aquamark3 and it should give you a CPU score as well as a graphics card score. If one is higher than the other than you'll have your answer.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
At stock, the 4000+ would obviously be faster. However, the average 3700+ and 4000+ will overclock the same as the only difference between the 2 cores is the extra multi.

Still, if you got a good deal on it then nothing lost really

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The extra multiplier doesn't mean extra performance, it just means extra flexibility with overclocking and memory speeds.
I would still say the 4000+ has a better chance of hitting higher speeds..

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

The extra multiplier doesn't mean extra performance, it just means extra flexibility with overclocking and memory speeds.
I would still say the 4000+ has a better chance of hitting higher speeds..

No, it does mean better performance, in that the 4000+ comes out of the box clocked 200MHz higher than the 3700+.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts