Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance right now to swap out my 3700 with a 4000 at no cost to me except shipping, I am just wondering would it be worth it and did the 4000's have decent overclocking steppings?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall82

I have a chance right now to swap out my 3700 with a 4000 at no cost to me except shipping, I am just wondering would it be worth it and did the 4000's have decent overclocking steppings?

Forget about the model numbers, just look at it as a chance to trade chips. If yours is a good OCer, I wouldn't do it. If you're not happy with the OC ability of it, then do it. Don't expect it to be better based on the fact that it has a 12X cpu multiplier left unlocked for you, though. It comes down to how good of a chip you got in the first place.

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm running 2.8 stable but with 1.500 x 108.2% vcore. And I know the 4000 runs at 2.64 limited by ram and board options.

·
Banned
218 Posts
personally I would stick with they 3700+ its a great processor and you can easily overclock them to the speeds of the FX-57 (same core) but ultimatly its up to you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well, if 2.827 is your current limit, i think it'd be worth a shot to trade. At worst case, the 4000+ should probably reach 2.8 stabily, and at best case you may get over 3.0ghz stabiliy

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
I would go for it. See how good of an overclocker the 4000+ you get is. If it is good, keep it, but if it is the same or worse then your 3700+, sell the 4000+, and buy another 3700+ and pocket the difference. Or use the extra cash from the sale of the 4000+ and buy yourself a more expensive but known well overclocking kab2e 3700SD from Ebay.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
20,512 Posts
I posted about this awhile ago as well. I was able to pick up a 4000+ for the same money as the 3700+ I had. I moved the 3700+ into my second rig and now have a 4000+. Since I'm not OC yet, It is faster stock but I'm interested to see overclocking options on the two chips as I can interchange them between my rigs.

How can I find out the stepping on my two chips?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar

I posted about this awhile ago as well. I was able to pick up a 4000+ for the same money as the 3700+ I had. I moved the 3700+ into my second rig and now have a 4000+. Since I'm not OC yet, It is faster stock but I'm interested to see overclocking options on the two chips as I can interchange them between my rigs.

How can I find out the stepping on my two chips?

You have to take the heatsink off.

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I talked to the guy, hes a friend and I think I'm gonna go for it. He still wont tell me why he needes to make the switch, which concerns me a bit but I know he wont screw me.

·
Premium Member
20,512 Posts
Wait, you mean he wants to trade you his 4000 for your 3700 for free? thats a bit odd, don't you think? Without telling you why I would assume he fried it. Or for some reason it may be a terrible OCer

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hmmm... sounds suspicious.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,934 Posts
Ask him if it overclocks well...

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He doesnt overclock like most people but he is a friend who wouldn't try and screw me with a fried chip. Personally I think he is stuck in a pretty hard place as he normally wouldn't ask something like this.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,934 Posts
ask him why he wants to trade.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i didn't think they made 4000's for Socket754 unless it is the DTR mobile model.

·
Registered
219 Posts
are you able to keep your 3700 or are you trading for the 4000, either way think of it this way...its very very overclockable....think of it as a fx-53...because thats what it is. also some one said that oyu can get the 3700 to fx-57 speed...you can or at least close, but witht he 4000 you can, and then some pus if you just get it to fx-57 speeds it will be much esier then doing the same with the 3700 and more stble, plus it wont be as stressful for the 4000 as it would on he 3700.. i could go on and on why you should just take the upgrade...just TAKE THE 4000+ you wont be sorry! -trey

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Bob

i didn't think they made 4000's for Socket754 unless it is the DTR mobile model.

No I have a 939. And I already told him I would swap.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,934 Posts
allright, let us know how it turns out!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts