Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone knows the limits of a SanDiego Core 4000+. I have mine running at 2.82Ghz all the time, 35 Degrees at full load. I just want to know how much I can push it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
push it until it's not stable,
also, make sure the temp doesn't go higher than 55C, but you should be fine with your heatsink

i have my 3700+ running 3Ghz all the time, load temps of ~42 or so.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobuk

push it until it's not stable,
also, make sure the temp doesn't go higher than 55C, but you should be fine with your heatsink

i have my 3700+ running 3Ghz all the time, load temps of ~42 or so.

What happens when you push past 55? I have heard of Intel proccessors going much higher than 55.....Why can't an AMD?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimboe

What happens when you push past 55? I have heard of Intel proccessors going much higher than 55.....Why can't an AMD?

You could probably go as high as 65C according to the specs from AMD. These CPUs don't thermal throttle though like Intels, so if it gets too hot it'll just explode/fry. Personally, there's no way I'd risk my CPU getting anywhere near 55C. Not worth the risk IMO.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 4000+ San Diego, and I run at 2.78GHz 24/7 (Highest stable for me.) This is without tweaking with voltage, though. I idle at 20°C-30°C (depending on location) and load at 30°C-40°C, respectively.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
here is a pic of my super_pi results w/ this cpu and a cpu-z pic

only real prob is my vcore which isnt as stable as i would like.... but like i said hopefully a new psu will fix that

·
Registered
47 Posts
ive just brought this processer with the K&N pro SLI gigbyte board and a 6800GS card. ive overclocked my P4 3.2ghz to 4ghz stable but dunno how AMD overclocking works.

anyone able to give me some tips on what i need 2 took at etc?

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ED209

ive just brought this processer with the K&N pro SLI gigbyte board and a 6800GS card. ive overclocked my P4 3.2ghz to 4ghz stable but dunno how AMD overclocking works.

anyone able to give me some tips on what i need 2 took at etc?

thanks

Use this guide to get your started: http://www.overclock.net/overclock.p...king-guide.htm
If you've overclocked an Intel, it's all pretty much the same. Just try and keep your CPU temps around 50C.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
4000's generally overclock to the same limits of 3700's. probably 50-100 mhz higher on average..2.8 is a good overclock and if you haven't touched the voltages yet, you are well on your way to 3.0.
Give it more vcore, 1.5, and you should get 3.0, it might require much more voltage for prime stability though....I judge chips on prime stability with their overclock. So if someone gets 3.0, it's no big whoop unless it's prime stable. Anyone can get screenshots of 3.0 if you have a decent chip..

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

You could probably go as high as 65C according to the specs from AMD. These CPUs don't thermal throttle though like Intels, so if it gets too hot it'll just explode/fry. Personally, there's no way I'd risk my CPU getting anywhere near 55C. Not worth the risk IMO.

All the newer AMD chips have thermal throttling. That old video that's been passed around everywhere of the Intel and AMD without the heatsink started this. That was an old Athlon before they had throttling to show off that the Intel did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.