Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
yeah, they are almsot the same, but the 4000 has a locked upper multi while the FX53 has all up and down. they are also different cores too.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
FX-53 has unlocked Multis so in theory, you can make it a 55. 4000+ has Sledgehammer, and FX53 has clawhammer.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
I would ask Master Xavier or Master YIFF, OR even Master Plague.. And if you couldnt tell, Ive watched one too many Kung Fu flick...
im really not sure what the differences are between the Hammer cores, but it could be something as simple as Multi locks...

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
FX-53 is based off the SledgeHammer core used in Opterons and has the full range of multipliers unlocked. The 4000+ is based off the ClawHammer core formally used on Socket 754 (and retrofited to use dual channel memory) but has the upper range of multipliers locked. Both run at 2.4GHz, have 1MB of L2 Cache, and run Dual Channel DDR400 memory.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

FX-53 is based off the SledgeHammer core used in Opterons and has the full range of multipliers unlocked. The 4000+ is based off the ClawHammer core formally used on Socket 754 (and retrofited to use dual channel memory) but has the upper range of multipliers locked. Both run at 2.4GHz, have 1MB of L2 Cache, and run Dual Channel DDR400 memory.

I think it's the other way around Yiffy... FX-53 is Clawhammer and 4000+ is Sledgehammer.

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by *******

I think it's the other way around Yiffy... FX-53 is Clawhammer and 4000+ is Sledgehammer.

Yea thats what i thought...

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
No, that wouldn't make any sense. The FX-51 was literlly just an Opteron 250 rapacked for use on the desktop market and they have continued to use SledgeHammer in FX series. The 4000 uses a dual-channel memory varient of ClawHammer called ClawHammer-S.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

No, that wouldn't make any sense. The FX-51 was literlly just an Opteron 250 rapacked for use on the desktop market and they have continued to use SledgeHammer in FX series. The 4000 uses a dual-channel memory varient of ClawHammer called ClawHammer-S.

Yeah ur right, Newegg n00bed out and mixed up there cores.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I'm still not positive... I've seen CPU-Z screen shots showing FX-53s as both ClawHammer and one showing it as SledgeHammer. I'm half-tempted to email AMD and just get it out of the way...

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

I'm still not positive... I've seen CPU-Z screen shots showing FX-53s as both ClawHammer and one showing it as SledgeHammer. I'm half-tempted to email AMD and just get it out of the way...

Actually you should do that, since u've seen screenies showing both cores.... Perhaps the early model FX-53's were Clawhammers and they have switched them to Sledgehammers?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I would think the other way around, but possibly. I know the Socket 940 53 are SledgeHammer for sure though, all 940s are SledgeHammer

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

I would think the other way around, but possibly. I know the Socket 940 53 are SledgeHammer for sure though, all 940s are SledgeHammer

Errrr yeah vice-versa... Maybe they found one core to be more efficient / effective than the other. I've been seriously tinkering around with the idea of buying an FX-55 or 4000+ and seeing how fast I could get it on air cooling.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

I would... if I had an extra $800 lying around I didn't need

I was tinkering with the idea of selling one of my paintball guns to get an FX-55, new case, and an XP-120.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

I was tinkering with the idea of selling one of my paintball guns to get an FX-55, new case, and an XP-120.

i had the same idea but i can't sell my paintball gun that would be sad
but it is tax return time $$$$

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Damn. What kind of paintball gun do you have? like a bob long or somthing? lol. Intimidator?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts