Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title is it.
I built a full PC in 2020 around a 3090. (Spec in sig).

Is it worth upgrading to a 4090 or would I just be bottlenecking myself? I'm not unhappy with my current build but a solid upgrade for less power would be nice.

Should I consider the upgrade or just plan a full build around the 5000 in two years?

Sorry if this is noobish questions, I'm sure other lurkers are wondering the same.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
My workplace will probably get a few 4090s (to upgrade workstations) and maybe some Lovelace-generation Quadros for servers if performance gains are high enough. These new cards don't look like they're going to be particularly energy efficient.

But personally? No. I'm pleased with my 3080Ti and see no reason to upgrade for now.

Honestly, for gaming I'm more curious about RDNA3 (although ROCm/HIP are worthless for me at work... sadly...)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Nvidia has a years worth of 3000's still in a warehouse, better to wait a few months till prices level out then weigh the options.

DLSS 3 will only start to become a main thing nearer the end of the 4000 series and I own Cyberpunk but haven't played it yet, waiting for the final version with one DLC next year, hell the main story is only 20 something hours long, even with GTA5 I didn't play online and finished the story in the first week almost 10 years ago, so much for the hype of the next one.

Only have a G-sync compatible monitor, so can't switch sides. If I can find a bargain priced 3080ti or 3090 over the cut down 4080 I might be able to hold off for a couple of years.
Still have older games to get through, not many new releases coming up.

Gesture Microphone Spokesperson Sleeve Font

Cyberpunk leather jacket

• Rep+
Reactions: fray_bentos

·
High Clocker
3,705 Posts
Having basically bought the flagship of every gen day 1. This will be the first one I'm skipping since it will be a short lifespan generation.
From the looks of it power draw is going to be even worse which will be more heat output, Pricing is bad since there is too much 3XXX stock left.
And the gen after will completely crush 4XXX cards since they are meant to be mcm.

• Rep+
Reactions: fray_bentos

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,824 Posts
I think I am skipping on this one. Not to mention I like my AIO cooled 3080, especially after seeing these new cards on GN. But am very interested in what AMD has coming. Especially with EVGA out of the game for NVIDIA. Might go full AMD.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If I was gaming at 4K... I would order one. It's weird because when Z170 came out I think I owned 15 different motherboards. Just to play around with them. Then I just didn't have the same level of interest. Some of that was because the method I used to recycle (ebay) just doesn't appeal to me.. I got a 3080 through EVGA (ironic) using the step up program. Then purchased the 10? year warranty and rapid replacement plan which I had never done before. Blocked the card and it plays everything I still play (which isn't much). What I consider interesting games are few and far between now.

So for me I'm just kind of not feeling it this gen. I was contemplating going all AMD actually again for kicks. Then I saw speculative pricing on stuff I would be interested in.... sure I can afford it but... at some point the price increases just out weigh any perceptive reasoning to buy. I've got a Z690 currently and still had an AMD system but suddenly got the USB issue so don't really use it. So if I feel the need for a new cpu (which I really don't) it's just easier to throw a 13xxx in this board.

Long answer but it's just a lot of things for me, make these upgrade not that interesting. Unless I suddenly decide to buy a 4K monitor and it just doesn't appeal to me enough to do so. If one of our machines has a hardware failure is really the only reason I would buy at this point.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hard pass on 4000 series; the prices are a joke. I was excited for the launch, then saw the prices. I'll sit happily on my £650 RTX 3080 for a long while yet. GPUs priced over 1000 £ / $ / EUR might as well not exist in my eyes.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I don't care about the price at all having paid 2.5 grand for a 3090 but I'd be even more stupid to sell it at the current prices, so it will have to go on until it's either artifacting or the fan blades fall off :D
That said, I find the huge TDP unacceptable and don't support this anymore. On one hand we get told we need to save energy where possible, everything is taxed to hell, people yapping about environmental crisis and then we get PC's with more and more insane power draw every 2-3 years...not really my thing. Really hoped the EU would impose a hard limit of like 200W CPU / 300W GPU so manufacturers would focus on efficiency rather than MOAR cores / dies.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think the 4090 is a legit upgrade from a 3090/Ti, but i dont know about everything below it.

I also feel like DLSS 3, if Nvidia can make it seamless, is essentially the holy grail of graphics processing, and that people are so worked up over the prices that it's getting ignored. If practically every UE5 game supports it, that's going to be a lot of next gen games that the 4xxx series are going to absolutely destroy AMD on in performance.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'd love for some magical game to come out and make we want/need to upgrade from a 6900xt at 1440p. Games have driven many of my upgrades over the years. Just not seeing it right now but... I am gaming less, maybe that is why.

·
Still kinda lost
3,802 Posts
The 40 series made the 7xxx announcement 10 times more exciting.

And weirdly enough the 4090 is a great deal or else just get a 3090 ti for 999

·
waifu for lifu
11,728 Posts
I'd love for some magical game to come out and make we want/need to upgrade from a 6900xt at 1440p. Games have driven many of my upgrades over the years. Just not seeing it right now but... I am gaming less, maybe that is why.
We're still in that cross platform stage & games are just getting developed on unreal 5. We have maybe a handful of games needing such horsepower or anyone gaming @ 4k/high-res. Also, if DLSS3 is gated behind the 4000 cards, you can guess, DLSS4 will be gated behind next cards.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Nvidia has a years worth of 3000's still in a warehouse, better to wait a few months till prices level out then weigh the options.

DLSS 3 will only start to become a main thing nearer the end of the 4000 series and I own Cyberpunk but haven't played it yet, waiting for the final version with one DLC next year, hell the main story is only 20 something hours long, even with GTA5 I didn't play online and finished the story in the first week almost 10 years ago, so much for the hype of the next one.

Only have a G-sync compatible monitor, so can't switch sides. If I can find a bargain priced 3080ti or 3090 over the cut down 4080 I might be able to hold off for a couple of years.
Still have older games to get through, not many new releases coming up.

View attachment 2573041

Cyberpunk leather jacket
Prices aren't going to level out. Nvidia isn't going to release a lower tier Ada Lovelace until the Ampere stock is sold down/out. They might even start relabeling Ampere GPUs as 4070/4060/4050. They've done it before.

But they will not take a massive loss on Ampere stock unless AMD really goes for the throat and starts crushing the mid range market; I have hope RDNA3 mid tear cards will be very competitive against top tier Ampere.

·
Iconoclast
32,822 Posts
Is it worth upgrading to a 4090 or would I just be bottlenecking myself? I'm not unhappy with my current build but a solid upgrade for less power would be nice.
The 4090 will be considerably faster (probably in the ballpark of ~80% overall) than your 3090.

If you're content with the performance your 3090 delivers, the obvious answer is, no, it's not worth upgrading. If you want more, well, you'll want something faster.

I own Cyberpunk but haven't played it yet, waiting for the final version with one DLC next year, hell the main story is only 20 something hours long
I think Cyberpunk 2077 is a 6/10 game, but main Cyberpunk save still has ~300 hours on it. Rushing through the game in 20 hours is going to miss most of it.

Also, if DLSS3 is gated behind the 4000 cards, you can guess, DLSS4 will be gated behind next cards.
Until competition forces NVIDIA to extend compatibility, or the feature gets supplanted by more generic alternatives.

The things I'm most looking forward to with DLSS 3.x are FSR 3.x and, eventually, API/game native frame prediction.

Nvidia isn't going to release a lower tier Ada Lovelace until the Ampere stock is sold down/out.
Yeah, I don't think we'll see anything built on AD106, 107, or 108 for quite a while. Not much point in pushing a new gen of mainstream parts, whose only advantage, from NVIDIA's perspective, is that they are cheaper to make, when the supply of 3000 series parts that can adequately fill that segment is still so high.

• Rep+
Reactions: StAndrew

·
waifu for lifu
11,728 Posts
If DLSS3 can make it indistinguishable compared to native that would be game changer @ least for me.

·
Robocop is #1 movie ever
2,283 Posts
I could see upgrading if you find your 3090 lacking. Cyberpunk is the game you will feel it in. My 3090ti struggles with the game, but it is quite rewarding. I won't upgrade my pc with the 3090ti, but I will probably upgrade one of my other PCs to a 4090ti when it comes out.

I can get up to 120fps on my 3090ti with RT on low and DLSS max but it looks gross. RT on high is unstable. But medium with DLSS on low it plays and looks good.

Still waiting on benchmarks on the 4090 like everybody else before I become too opinionated one way or another.

Not having memory chips on the back of the board like the 3090 is a big plus though.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If DLSS3 can make it indistinguishable compared to native that would be game changer @ least for me.
I'll give credit where credit is due. DLSS 3.0 is certainly a revolutionary rendering technique. The fact that it can predict and compile a full frame without CPU input is pretty nuts. This implies you can run DLSS 3.0 with no resolutions scaling at all and still gain a theoretically FPS boost with no data loss at all. And if they can accurately pull this off without having sync issues with online gaming / FPS gaming, this is pretty cool tech.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dagamus NM
1 - 20 of 45 Posts