Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some dirty money sucking bags of slime are planning a gigantor shopping mall retail complex within visual range of my mountain top retreat. At the moment there is not much development around us here on US 220 (near Boones Mill N of Rocky Mount)--the local gas station/ fast food plex is pretty small--although I am annoyed nightly by there gleaming streetlights which I can see in the Winter when the leaves have dropped.

I just don't understand why they can't leave a beautiful rural wooded area alone. The whole reason people are coming here is to get away from malls and traffic jams--now they want to plop a stinkin 43 acre complex right on the side of a 4 lane highway. It takes up to five minutes just to be able to get out onto 220 in the morning--I can't imagine what it will be like with triple the traffic.

I am an avid foe of development--having lived in Florida for 18 years I watched a paradise turn into a traffic jam with strip malls lining every boulevard. I moved here specifically to get away from that crap.

Expect to be reading about me in the paper if they get the go ahead for this...I might become unhinged and pilot a large earth-mover right through their retail megamart.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Yeah there ruining my neck of the woods to..I'm by a lake and the last 10 years or so they have been nuilding condo's and lake houses as fast as they can.....I would go ahead and move further away from town but I've lived here for about 30 years and I just hate to...I know what you mean about a heavy equipment rampage I've thought about it myself...

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Yep, some guys chopped down a lot of trees where I live to build.. Lowes.. All the wood they chopped down is now for sale in their store lol..

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,787 Posts
My goal is to find a place to live in seculusion, but within 10 minutes be in the middle of a big city. Doesn't seem like its gunna happen though.

Monroe (where I live) is one of the top 100 fastest growing counties in the US...within the top 25 IIRC too.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah we are about 20 minutes from Roanoke (if you ca call that a big city LOL) and about 10 minutes from Rocky Mount. I will see if I can take a decent shot of the area for you guys--but it is hard to get that on a camera--we are ringed around by very tall trees--but in the Winter you can see about 20 miles.

Right now this is the first peep about this projct--as usual they unveil their evil plot to about 40 people in an innocuous town meeting. They estimate it will take 4-5 years to complete--but that could be a lot less if they get the right investors involved. There is going to be a Grocery Store, Hotel, Restaurant, Furniture Mart and the usual mall type businesses--they will basically kill the existing Franklin Motel and Restaurant (been there over 30 years) and a re planning to have their own waste treatment facility--which means no oversight by the county--as it will be privately managed. Expect poop downstream for sure as waste water treatment here is little more than a septic system with some dilution at the end.

I think driving all of ten minutes to go to Krogers or Walmart is perfect--why would I want a gian snarl of traffic and pollution a short walk from my house...

Yes I will start a petition--but you know what's wierd is most people will prolly think this is a great idea and will have some fool notion that it will bring prosperity to them. The fact is that rich people move to beautiful places and then destroy them--then after the places suck they leave and find another place to blight. The same people that would have been moving to Florida now move to Smith Mountain Lake and Bedford=--and after they completely ruin our pristine area they will go find another place.

It makes me want to RAMPAGE with D-10....

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a Peregrine Falcon sitting on that fence post...

On a clear night looking dead in the center of this scene the lights from "Plaeau Plaza shine thought the trees.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chosen

Don't want development? Come to Maine! Northern Maine to be specific. All "big box" stores got "banned" from the area by locals. You want boones! Maine's got em'

I spent a couple of months in the Eggamoggin reach and you are not kidding--talk about a strong willed independent folk that don't put up with crap--that'd be a Maine...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Some other "FUN" facts about Maine are Highest divorce rate in the country, The full north western quarter of maine is owned by paper companies, First place for the sun to rise in the us, very limited job oppertunities (most grads leave asap to seek better jobs)

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,787 Posts
Low temps = low computer temps = all OCN members move to Maine

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I could have stayed through the winter and worked on a crew that was building some big lobster boats (out of wood!) but I headed south--always wondred what might have happened if I had Wintered through. I know what you mean about the paper companies--I had a hippy bus (76 VW Westfalia) plastered with stickers--some against the paper industry--and I got some grief for that--one of the loggers put a pro paper sticker on there I didn't notice for a day or two--but I got him back by plastering the front of his big old Chevy work truck with a purple Pro Pagan sticker right by the snowplow that he would not notice until it was time to put the blade on.

I spenty some time around Rangley too--really cold lake water there even in the Summer it's like jumping into a cold beer (50F). Perfect free water chiller there.

Lots of Loons (really wierd) and lots of Moose. Talk about a road hazard--800 pounds though the windshield can really mess up your day.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts