Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got two 460's (1GB) running in SLI here. I unlocked voltage and raised it from 962 to 1000 (1.00v) in Afterburner.

When I single test card #1 the max temp I get is 83c.
As you know I am not able to test card #2 individually software wise.

Now 83 is really nice, I am running the core at 830 stable:

Next, I run a SLI test in Furmark and card #1 reached 99c!

While card #2 maxed out at around 66 (***
)

How is this possible and what do you advice me to do?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by staryoshi View Post
Which motherboard and graphics cards are you using?
Because I like screenshots:

- Lian Li PC-60FNWX - Midtowermodel
- Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue
- Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B met daarop een Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-14) en MX-3 koelpasta
- Noiseblocker PK2 in het dak
- ASUS P6X58D-E - Moederbord
- Processor - Intel Core i7 930 @3.8 GHz
- Corsair Dominator-GT - Geheugen - 6 GB
- WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX
And two times a MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC in SLI

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
P6X58D in Slots 1 and 2 will sandwich the cards pretty terribly..should be the issue here. Heat from one going directly into the next..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlahBlahBlah View Post
P6X58D in Slots 1 and 2 will sandwich the cards pretty terribly..should be the issue here. Heat from one going directly into the next..
Do you think that is the case?

I took a screenshot from the inside:

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Well it's normal for one card to be warmer than the other in SLI, but by 33 degrees is way too much. Normal is like 3-4 degrees.

Have you run these cards individually? With only one physically present on your mobo? It might be an airflow issue.

Try one at a time, swap them. Then in SLI, and swap them, and see if the temp follows the card, or the slot.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
have you tried putting the second card on the slot 3? it might drop your performance but it might drop your temps too. according to your mobo specs

3 (@ x16/x8/x8 or x16/x16/x1)

by the way i love your case! maybe adding some fans? one on top? i might help but not much. have you tried putting a fan on the back of your case right where the gpu exhaust are? that might drop it a few degrees.

What are your temps during gaming? Furmark really heats up gpu's!

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos View Post
Do you think that is the case?

I took a screenshot from the inside:

I have heard from everyone over in the P6X58D owner's thread that this board is tough for SLI..try using slots 1 and 3, but also try using both cards individually to make sure they post good temps solo, preferably similar temps.

·
Portable Rig Builder
1,025 Posts
I had the same issue with my SLI's 460's hitting close to 100°C in Furmark, there just wasn't enough room between the cards for the inside card to get adequate airflow.

So I ordered a bigger ATX board offering an additional slot worth of space between the SLI'd cards (And yes the pic above is a mATX board);

A Gigabyte P55A-UD4P:

This should solve the issue for me, I'll know for sure when it arrives next week

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlitos714 View Post
have you tried putting the second card on the slot 3? it might drop your performance but it might drop your temps too. according to your mobo specs

3 (@ x16/x8/x8 or x16/x16/x1)

by the way i love your case! maybe adding some fans? one on top? i might help but not much. have you tried putting a fan on the back of your case right where the gpu exhaust are? that might drop it a few degrees.

What are your temps during gaming? Furmark really heats up gpu's!
Thanks, i really like the case myself too

Anyway, how much performance do you think I will lose by dropping the second card in slot 3?

Because while gaming I am not even able to reach 90c, also I could as well set the voltage back on stock and drop the core speed from 830 to 800.

Maybe I should buy a new mobo but I just got this one

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, i really like the case myself too

Anyway, how much performance do you think I will lose by dropping the second card in slot 3?

Because while gaming I am not even able to reach 90c, also I could as well set the voltage back on stock and drop the core speed from 830 to 800.

Maybe I should buy a new mobo but I just got this one

If you go 16x/8x, in slot 1 and 3, you will lose 1% performance. That's the difference between 16x/16x and 16x/8x.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I would say either...

1. bad airflow (not enough exahust) in case
2. bad card? Like others said, try to switch the 2 cards to see if temp follows card.
3. Or maybe fan speed really isn't setting correctly. I wouldnt think it would get that high of temps with 100% fan according to what your pics show.

I have 2 470's in SLI and they are sandwiched together and my temps are usually maybe 5-10C difference between the cards. I have my fan profile set to 1C=1% in AfterBurner and have never had my "hot" card go over 84C gaming. Although I have a different case (Antec 900).

Moving the card to the lower slot also like said would be a good idea and you wouldn't lose that much performance.

Just seems like too much of a difference in temps between cards to me. Maybe not having a cooler that exahusts out the back of the case on the GPU really does make a huge difference.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbobb View Post
I would say either...

1. bad airflow (not enough exahust) in case
2. bad card? Like others said, try to switch the 2 cards to see if temp follows card.
3. Or maybe fan speed really isn't setting correctly. I wouldnt think it would get that high of temps with 100% fan according to what your pics show.

I have 2 470's in SLI and they are sandwiched together and my temps are usually maybe 5-10C difference between the cards. I have my fan profile set to 1C=1% in AfterBurner and have never had my "hot" card go over 84C gaming. Although I have a different case (Antec 900).

Moving the card to the lower slot also like said would be a good idea and you wouldn't lose that much performance.

Just seems like too much of a difference in temps between cards to me. Maybe not having a cooler that exahusts out the back of the case on the GPU really does make a huge difference.

Cards with aftermarket coolers that don't exhaust air out of the case need room between them to work their best. I moved my second card to the bottommost 16x slot and now both cards stay within 1-2C of each other. Previously the top card would get up to 20C higher

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Bah, I HATE the pcie layout on that P6X58D(E) and I HATE that everyone keeps buying it wanting to run SLI
The Cyclones especially do not like to be placed so close together, they run hot and loud and the fans work less than optimally due to the disruption given that config. Give them one more space apart and they are happier than no one's business. Your lack of a side-air intake and/or fan near the hdd bays makes things worse. Bad Case/Mobo combo for SLI GTX460

Going from this:

To this:

Makes a world of difference with GPU temps.

(I play with too many different setups
)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by h220wnzj00 View Post
Cards with aftermarket coolers that don't exhaust air out of the case need room between them to work their best. I moved my second card to the bottommost 16x slot and now both cards stay within 1-2C of each other. Previously the top card would get up to 20C higher
Cool, I will change slots tomorrow

BTW, gaming temps are around 80c max on the hot card, that ain't too bad is it?

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Quote:

Cool, I will change slots tomorrow

BTW, gaming temps are around 80c max on the hot card, that ain't too bad is it?
The Cyclone should game in the low to mid 50's at the auto fan setting, even overclocked. GF104 is not GF100
That said, my new TwinFrozr games in the 50's OC'd
S'all about the heatsink baby!
(ambient temps not withstanding
)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts