1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Have you tried any PCIe bumps?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Some get higher OCs with a PCIe set to 108-112... higher than that is not recommended.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read that some chips (3600-3800's) actually like lower vcore to hit higher clocks. Is there any evidence of that being true for higher cpu's such as mine?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Each CPU has its best voltage level.
Thats why its best to up the vcore slowly and just up it and expect higher OCs when the difficulties could be elsewhere.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm having problems with Orthos for 3ghz. It's failing the second after it starts. My vcore is going from 1.46 - 1.48. Does putting a divider on your RAM completely elimate the RAM from being the reason your OC isn't stable and/or won't clock higher?

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -JeeOweDee- View Post
I'm having problems with Orthos for 3ghz. It's failing the second after it starts. My vcore is going from 1.46 - 1.48. Does putting a divider on your RAM completely elimate the RAM from being the reason your OC isn't stable and/or won't clock higher?
Putting a divider on your RAM simply allows your HT ("FSB") to theoretically scale higher. I say theoretically because this is also dependent on whether or not you're hitting the limits of your motherboard's HT frequency. Assuming it's not, then it's a bit like selecting a higher gear on a car's transmission, if this makes sense. Imagine your engine (HT) is pulling 7000RPMs in fourth gear; if you change to a higher gear (or, a bigger RAM divider, which will result in a higher ratio between your HT and your RAM frequencies), this drops your engine's RPMs, but allows it the headroom to scale up in RPM again (and therefore push your car along faster). It's a similar principle at work.

When going just for raw CPU maximum speed (and therefore going using as much HT with the highest CPU multiplier combined), it pays to "upshift" to the lowest RAM frequency (a higher gear, or a bigger divider) you have available. Whether or not this is the best setting for performance is something that has to be tested, but it should allow for the maximum CPU speed.

Stability at these speeds, of course, is a total unknown and must be tested thoroughly.

Hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts