Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I successfully overclock my cpu @ 2.86 stable using orthos 24+ hours torture test... Memory is XMS2 clocked at 956mhz... My questions are:
1. Is it safe to leave my memory clocked at 956 mhz 5-5-5-18?
2. What can i do to lower the temp of my systin, cputin, auxtin all at 53~56 c range?
3. should i keep on overclocking my cpu up to 3+ ghz?

Update:
EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI:
Currently raising FSB @ x5 HT multiplier using 10 minute stress test
FSB: 260 HT: 1302.1Mhz @ x5
FSB: 280 HT: 1395.9Mhz @ x5
FSB: 290 HT: 1453.2Mhz @ x5

Dropping HT hehe i think its too much but MB is stable @ baby stepping

FSB: 298 HT: 1195.5Mhz @x4

FSB: 300 Post! reverted to safe limit
dunno what this is

Thanks to logan and thlnk3r for the support

· My claws fix anything
3,371 Posts
1) Yes, it is safe, as long as the ram is stable. Just check for stability with memtest, and if it passes, you're good to go.

2) Better airflow/better cable management is usually the best solution there. To test if you need better case cooling, just take off the side panel, make sure it gets some airflow (box fans work great for this) and if your temps drop drastically, then its time for some better cooling.

Also, your mobo temp can sometimes be lowered by reseating your NB heatsink, and using some high quality TIM instead of whatever is on there right now.

3) Yes, as long as its not overheating.

Good luck

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you i was wondering about that northbridge because i cannot upgrade my southbridge cooler since my video card is directly on top of it and i measured it and its about half an inch clearance from mother board to card and i cant find one that size
but changing northbridge cooler will cool down my systin? currently i have a heat sink on it ill check if i can use the thermal take one
extreme spirit II

· My claws fix anything
3,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nemesis82 View Post
thank you i was wondering about that northbridge because i cannot upgrade my southbridge cooler since my video card is directly on top of it and i measured it and its about half an inch clearance from mother board to card and i cant find one that size
but changing northbridge cooler will cool down my systin? currently i have a heat sink on it ill check if i can use the thermal take one
extreme spirit II
Yea, usually the system temp is one of the sensors on the mobo... and usually one of the bridges, although not all of the time (not sure on that, i'll have to check on that).

Sounds like reseating your SB might help out a bit, and also, adding little fans in your system can help out tons (like your old stock CPU fan... you can mount that lots of different places, to get a little airflow to certain components... they're actually pretty popular as chipset coolers)

Good luck

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Yes, you can touch it while its running... just make sure that you ground yourself first, so you dont fry anything with static buildup. Although, if you're running with stock voltage for your ram, then I doubt that heat is going to be an issue, as usually its only when the ram is over-volted, that things get hot.

Orthos does well, but I would still use memtest, as it is a dedicated memory testing program... and it does its job dang well."~logan

Sorry ill just bring it here
i dont want to flood the other thread
yes im using 1.9v on my memory next question is latency vs mhz.. ive been reading alot about these but im having a problem understanding it hehehe... i tried to put my memory to5-5-5-18-23-2T and my computer wont boot and i had to reset my cmos... should i raise my volts before i change to 1T? sorry for so many questions...

· My claws fix anything
3,371 Posts
Quote:

"Yes, you can touch it while its running... just make sure that you ground yourself first, so you dont fry anything with static buildup. Although, if you're running with stock voltage for your ram, then I doubt that heat is going to be an issue, as usually its only when the ram is over-volted, that things get hot.

Orthos does well, but I would still use memtest, as it is a dedicated memory testing program... and it does its job dang well."~logan

Sorry ill just bring it here
i dont want to flood the other thread
yes im using 1.9v on my memory next question is latency vs mhz.. ive been reading alot about these but im having a problem understanding it hehehe... i tried to put my memory to5-5-5-18-23-2T and my computer wont boot and i had to reset my cmos... should i raise my volts before i change to 1T? sorry for so many questions...
haha, thats just fine.

The thing about timings, is that they're kinda tricky. And it just so happens that you're trying to change the biggest one, by the biggest amount. Changing the command rate to 1T from 2T is basically like changing everything from 5-5-5-etc to 2.5-2.5-2.5-etc. because the command rate is the one that everything is based off of. And also, I'd like to point out, that DDR2 is designed for 2T, not 1T, so you'll have a hard time getting it to work out right (although it is possible, just harder).

I usually just get to the ram speed that works best for my OC, and then start lowering the timings a little at a time, until they're as low as they can be, and still be stable. Because honestly, ram speed isn't that large of a factor... the difference between fast, tight timing ram, and slow loose timing ram... is only a few % (usually around 3-5 to be exact), so I worry more about stability, than I do about getting the borderline stable timings worked out.

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you again ill leave my memory alone for now... ill concentrate on my cpu first see if i can reach 3.0+ ghz... ive been looking at your links and i like your custom cpu fan... i saved my old cpu fan wondering though if i can super glue it to the northbridge heat sink? well i just looked at it closely and i dont think it will fit haha... i need to get my rule from my work and check out the dimensions see if i can find anything that fits... currently looking at thermaltake extreme spirit 2 and thermalright HR-05 ill take a picture of my PC tomorrow when its day time and show you my setup

· My claws fix anything
3,371 Posts
You might be able to find a suitable mounting place for your old fan if you just get creative. If you cant superglue it, you can try finding a good mounting place somewhere else (don't forget to think about hanging it, as that often works well), because the HS just needs airflow, it doesn't need the fan to be mounted directly on it.

Thanks, Im glad that you like my McGyvered stock HS, it was a fun project, and it actually helped out alot. I should be getting a fanless Zerotherm Nirvana 120 this next week (won it as a freebie) so I'll get to mod something else, which will be fun.

Guess I'll just wait for some pics of what you plan to do.

Good luck

· Premium Member
12,162 Posts
Great support in this thread Logan

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemesis82
View Post

Nemesis82, this may sound a little crazy but you could always go from two 7600GS and just run a single video card in the second PCIe x16 slot. That would give you plenty of more room to cool both chipsets. As Logan stated though, better airflow would help your motherboard temperatures during full load.

Have you bothered to test the limits of each component (motherboard, memory and processor)? If you have troubles exceeding 2.86Ghz then try lowering your memory divider a bit to see if that helps. I am very surprised your XMS set was able to handle a 78Mhz overclock.

Good luck

· My claws fix anything
3,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thlnk3r
View Post

Nemesis82, this may sound a little crazy but you could always go from two 7600GS and just run a single video card in the second PCIe x16 slot. That would give you plenty of more room to cool both chipsets. As Logan stated though, better airflow would help your motherboard temperatures during full load.

Have you bothered to test the limits of each component (motherboard, memory and processor)? If you have troubles exceeding 2.86Ghz then try lowering your memory divider a bit to see if that helps. I am very surprised your XMS set was able to handle a 78Mhz overclock.

Good luck

Great Idea thlnk3r, I didn't even notice the SLI going on there. Those two cards are putting out alot of heat, so getting a more powerful single card (especially if it has a dual slot cooler, that exhausts outside the case) should help cool things down a bit. AS well as giving you better framerates in games, which is always a plus.

And make sure to check and see if the case cooling is up to snuff, because that can make a large difference in temps.

XMS ram is quite good, like I've said before, I've had my 2x1gig kit of DHX XMS (the extreme heatspreader version) stable at DDR1026 w 2.05v (passed memtest twice at that speed), although the highest I've ever run my rig with it is DDR1000.

Good luck

· Premium Member
12,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by logan
View Post

XMS ram is quite good, like I've said before, I've had my 2x1gig kit of DHX XMS (the extreme heatspreader version) stable at DDR1026 w 2.05v (passed memtest twice at that speed), although the highest I've ever run my rig with it is DDR1000.

Logan, curious...do you know what type of IC's are on your set of memory? That is heck of an OC coming from DDR2 800

Good luck

· My claws fix anything
3,371 Posts
Actually ... no, and to be honest, I don't completely know how to find out. (oh well, I can handle feeling like a noob sometimes). I mean, I havea pretty good idea of ram speed settings, timings and things like that, but I've never really learned much about the hardware side of ram. I think its about time though.

This is the ram that I'm running.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145175

And other than the fact that I know that there are good and bad IC's I really don't know much about them, or how to find out what kind i have (I was under the impression that I would have to remove the heatspreader to do so... is this true?).

I had this ram running at DDR960 for almost 5 months, and just recently I underclocked it some, to try to push my OC a little more, so right now its only running at DDR750.

So please, enlighten me.

· Premium Member
12,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by logan
View Post

And other than the fact that I know that there are good and bad IC's I really don't know much about them, or how to find out what kind i have (I was under the impression that I would have to remove the heatspreader to do so... is this true?).

Logan, if it's too much trouble then don't worry about it. You would however have to partially remove the heatspreader to view the serial number(s) on the IC's. This is what I got from Corsair's forum:

XMS640X v1.X...MICRON
XMS640X v2.X...QIMONDA
XMS640X v3.X...ELPIDA
XMS640X v4.X...PSC

I'm assuming the version number is listed on the memory.

Good luck

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Thinker didnt know i can run it off the second slot well because i got the other 7600 gs for free thats why i put it on
its not from the same company but it works sli'ed one has 400/350 and the other one is 400/400
well ill take one out so i can put a cooler in there since theres not really a big increase in FPS hmmm ill benchmark the difference...

Yes logan is being helpful
im really happy about it

i promised a picture of my case including my fan setting but i just got home today and its snowing out and its pretty dark in my room
i live in a military barracks so lighting is not really their priority lol i got one light in my room and its on the wall and its very very weak hahaha... ill try still...

i tried a baby step to run my OC to 3ghz but i got an error on a blend test when i reached 2.943.4 ghz ive tried to max out my MB, CPU and memory but it stops at 244 fsb
i lowered the HT to 3x and its still a nogo lol so i did a 8 hour test on each to figure out where is the problem and its only the blend test that fails... ive read that if i up the volt for my northbridge it should help it... obviously that gave me a ? on my head
dunno whats the name of it hahaha... ill review my bios again...

To Do list
lower my FSB again.
1. Benchmark Video card
2. Remove 1 7600 GS
3. Re-Benchmark
4. compare the two
5. figure out where the volt for northbridge is at
6. order turbo module for my accelero.

BTW corsair is running pretty cool atm i guess because i have a 120mm fan on my bay drive and Zero Therm Butterfly sucking the air that is passing through my memory and my 120mm rear and vertical exhaust is sucking out the hot air from my butterfly.
sorry for the long post.

Update:
I just locked my voltages to well i forgot to write them down
all i can remember is that all the voltages besides my cpu"1.375" and memory"1.9" are lower than the lowest setting of the mother board so i used the lowest setting
ill get the voltages after i run orthos for an hour
its load temp is at 41/51

· Premium Member
12,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ive read that if i up the volt for my northbridge it should help it... obviously that gave me a ? on my head
dunno whats the name of it hahaha... ill review my bios again...

Nemesis82, the chipset voltage adjustments are located in Advanced Chipset Features -> System Voltages. I could be wrong but I believe the one you'll need to adjust is, "HT CPU <-> NForce SPP". It looks like the default value is 1.20volts.

When you attempted the 3Ghz overclock, did you also adjust your memory frequency to make sure it wasn't prohibiting your overclock? AM2 processors overclock well with higher HT speeds between 1200Mhz - 1400Mhz. Give that a try as well.

Good luck

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive seen it
i read through their descriptions ^_^ so ive been reading up on stuff for about 1 hour and 6 minutes
and my orthos is still going with no error so i guess it kinda fixed the problem... tonight ill see if i can pass torture test... 2.9 is a go so next step is 3 once i do a full cycle of stress test
i think stressing it out too much must be lowering the life expectancy of the cpu hehehe but oh well... ill bench mark the video card now and see if theres a big difference from x1 to x2 7600GS if there is if i can try to overclock to match the difference or better...

Question: does my EVGA 590 sli have a Vdrop or Vdroop ive been googling it and i cant find one for 590
ive seen 680 and 7xx there must be one for 590...

UPDATE:

My mother board told me to move my video card to main slot to use non-sli configuration. Is there a setting that i need to configure to use just the 2nd slot?

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heres the photos that i promised i took out my 2nd video card but
2nd Slot for PCI E doesnt work

Custom mount 120mm fan

Dual Exhaust Fans Behind my Butterfly

Cleaned up using Electrical tape haha

No color scheme i dont really care lol

Update:
After Taking out my other 7600GS it dropped my FPS by about 60%

3D Mark Score with SLI: 6715
3D Mark Score with Single 7600GS: 3132

· Premium Member
12,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

i think stressing it out too much must be lowering the life expectancy of the cpu hehehe but oh well.

Question: does my EVGA 590 sli have a Vdrop or Vdroop ive been googling it and i cant find one for 590
ive seen 680 and 7xx there must be one for 590...

My mother board told me to move my video card to main slot to use non-sli configuration. Is there a setting that i need to configure to use just the 2nd slot?

Nemesis82, running extremly high voltages usually lessens the life of the processor. This is typically known as electromigration. By the time your processor dies you'll probably already be on your next build. What do you currently have the Vcore set at?

As far as I know "vdroop" is an Intel term. Check out this thread, it may shed some more light on your question: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/....php?p=1729388. I do believe though that same occurrences also happen on AMD processors. Certain chipsets have it worse then others.

I looked through your manual and couldn't find anything about running a single video card in the second PCIe slot. Both slots use the same transfer speed ect so I'm not to sure what is preventing this. Sounds like to me though that a single video card can only be ran in the first PCIe slot

Hope that helps

· Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my vcore is currently set to 1.375... max temp while stressing CPU using Orthos and video stress test using Video Card Stability Test at the same time
was 54 i guess that why it gave me an error this morning hahaha... I guess AMD people is out of luck
ive been looking for the resistor name for intel boards but cant find it hehehe... Yeah i think ill change my mobo soon and put this one on my parents computer hehe... but for now ill try to max this one out hopefully i can get it to stable at 3ghz ^_^

· Premium Member
12,162 Posts
Quote:

my vcore is currently set to 1.375... max temp while stressing CPU using Orthos and video stress test using Video Card Stability Test at the same time
was 54 i guess that why it gave me an error this morning hahaha.
Nemesis82, 1.375volts is still pretty low so I don't think there is a need to worry about damaging the processor unless of course you have extremely poor cooling. By the looks of it though you don't. A full load temp of 54C is not bad at all. It is possible that Orthos failed because of high temps but typically it's due to an unstable OC. Can you include some CPU-Z screenshots of your current overclock?

Good luck

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.