Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have MSI Afterburner and also am Benchmarking with Furmark. However if i add ANYTHING to engine clock after between a few seconds and a minute of furmark (at 1680x1050 resolution), the pc will shut off.

I have noticed with my GFX card that:

* untill the card temperature hits 70*c the fan stays in idle, and only goes up a small amount after that.
* The graphics card has never gone above 72*C and very rarely gets above 65.

Is there some sort of setting i need to fiddle with to allow GPU overclocking. In the few moments i get to see, i do notice a FPS boost in the performance but it's all for nothing if i'll only get a few seconds before meltdown!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riou
View Post

What is brand and model of your power supply? It sounds like a power issue.

This.

It definitely sounds like your power supply can't keep up with your graphics card.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisCrinkle
View Post

It's 750watts thats all i know, is that not enough?

No, not all 750 watts are built equally.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Depends, cheaper 750W's can only supply 500W, or less, in heavy testing, so just because it says 750W, it could well just be a rebranded 500W. What model is it exactly?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Brand is very important. Cheap or off-brand "750-watt" models might only be stable up to 450 or 500. (I hate marketing btw.)

Corsair and Antec produce quality PSUs. I've also had decent luck with Rosewill, though they are usually looked down upon as a "budget" brand.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Quote:

View Post

a no name psu is like buying a used condom. sure it will work, but its not exactly a good idea.

that psu might be supplying 750w but how efficient is it, how about reliability?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh i had a look through the window and it says its a "WIN: POWERPLUS" "Powerful and extemely Silence".

The grammar error has got me a bit worried.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Your PSU is the problem. Get a quality unit (not a flashy ebay knockoff) and you should be set. Give us a budget and we will recommend a good PSU. It is highly recommended you get that thing out of there ASAP. If it can't even handle a 1055t and GTX460 it can't handle squat, and if/when it blows up, it could take all of your hardware with it. You NEVER skimp on the PSU.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Budget wise, something between £20-£30 ideally, and maybe £40 if absolutely necessary. Whats strange is, after the crash the settings have defaulted to normal, but five minutes ago with no overclock settings it turned itself off again :/

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
someone on this forum suggested i get a XFX 750w modular psu. they're about 110 after rebate on newegg and apparently its designed by Seasonic, which i'm guessing is a decent manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
You won't get a decent PSU for that really, which is probably why you ended up with what you have now. You could just about get a corsair CX400 for £40~, which should do the job although you may be more comfortable with some headroom.

I'm selling an Antec TruePower 650W, a well regarded PSU, which will easily do your PC, and I'm in the UK. I don't need it, so I'll let it go pretty cheap, drop me a PM and we can sort out a price.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
It is not watts it is how many amps on ur 12v rails man .. generic cooling Sucks too ... so sounds like a combination of problems bro, what kills computers???! HEAT HEAT KILLS MAN! So looks liek ur oiwer supply is crashing and then flat lining... like u will run the game fine and then 5-10 mins in BANg it is over turn off or frozen .. i had a generic 430watt running a x1900xt and it would do this untill i moved it close to my AC unit and then it would be fine ... i spend i think 120$ on a 700 OCZ ps and was fine after that ... I say u spend LEss then 50$ shipped and fix this:

(prices shipped man, fyi)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129061
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply
$44.99 - 20$ MIR = 24.99$ Not bad

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153023
Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply, $7 off w/ promo code EMCZYZX37, ends 10/25
$43.99 - 7 = 37$ - 12 MIR = 25$ WIN!!!

Either one of these will run ever thing u have just fine and some so good luck man!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackeduphard
View Post

It is not watts it is how many amps on ur 12v rails man .. generic cooling Sucks too ... so sounds like a combination of problems bro, what kills computers???! HEAT HEAT KILLS MAN! So looks liek ur oiwer supply is crashing and then flat lining... like u will run the game fine and then 5-10 mins in BANg it is over turn off or frozen .. i had a generic 430watt running a x1900xt and it would do this untill i moved it close to my AC unit and then it would be fine ... i spend i think 120$ on a 700 OCZ ps and was fine after that ... I say u spend LEss then 50$ shipped and fix this:

(prices shipped man, fyi)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129061
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply
$44.99 - 20$ MIR = 24.99$ Not bad

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153023
Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply, $7 off w/ promo code EMCZYZX37, ends 10/25
$43.99 - 7 = 37$ - 12 MIR = 25$ WIN!!!

Either one of these will run ever thing u have just fine and some so good luck man!

No, do not touch that Thermalcrap TR-2. That is probably a 300w unit, and those are an ancient, obsolete design that actually violates ATX spec (-5v rail is not allowed by spec anymore)
If you want thermaltake, get a Toughpower, otherwise get another brand.

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
Here's an easy way to tell whether the PSU is the problem in this case.

Fire up something that's intense on the CPU, like Prime95 or Orthos or SuperPI. Make whichever you use to run on all 6 cores so you really use up the juice. Leave it running in the background.

Then with the gfx card at stock settings, fire up a full-screen window of Kombustor or Furmark, use the stability test. If the issue is the PSU, your PC should pretty much just shut straight off, like hitting a switch.

If it doesn't, the problem lies elsewhere, because there's no way that overclocking your gfx card and running a 3d test is going to add as much power draw as you will have added by running the CPU test concurrently.

Now, this is not to say that you probably shouldn't replace that PSU anyways, but ... if funds are tight, and you want to target your efforts, I would do the test I describe above.

The XFX PSU's are very nice, as you heard they are Seasonic-built, which is a great OEM. You really don't need more than the 650W version but if the $ difference isn't that much, the 750W might make more sense for the long-haul.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thats what mine was doing before it totally failed, took my damn RAM and Motherboard with

REPLACE IT ASAP

I should have replaced mine when it was turning off randomly while gaming, but I didn't and I had to replace $300 worth of stuff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts