Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to overclock my 4670k but I'm having a bit of trouble. I have no experience overclocking but I've been reading guides for haswell. I have a gigabyte Z87-HD3 and a corsair H80i. I'm currently stable with 4.0ghz at 1.21v but whenever I increase 4.1 or 4.2 I get freezes during prime95. I've tried increasing the voltage all the way up to 1.29v but I still cannot get it stable. My temps are around 65-70C at full load but I'm not sure if I should increase the voltage past 1.30v. Would really appreciate some help.

·
Premium Member
10,772 Posts
Which voltage/s are you increasing? 65-70c is waaay too cool for 1.3v. Most people don't like the temperatures for 1.3v on high end air at all (which is significantly better than a 120mm closed loop liquid cooler), i'd expect 1.2v to run you to like 75-90c in prime small fft with avx enabled

You might want to download Cinebench 11.5 for quick consistent temperature checks (though they'll be cooler) and to have a benchmark score from running it, so you know you're getting the right performance

Also, needing 1.2vcore for 4.0, if you do actually need it (which i doubt) is extremely terrible

·
Registered
964 Posts
Some chips hit a voltage wall sooner than others. For example, my old 3770k would do 4.6 at 1.19V but needed over 1.3v for 4.7. Your temps are fine so I would push voltage just a tad higher and see what you get. You may just have a bad chip and it may not be worth going up another 100mhz.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting 65-70C at 1.21v. I cant measure the temperature at 1.3 because it either freezes or blue screens straight after starting prime95. I'm not really sure about all the settings in the bios, all I'm changing is the clock ratio, vcore and uncore.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just tried upping the voltage to 1.30v and trying for 4.1ghz. I booted into windows and started prime95, after a few seconds the computer froze and then came a bsod with the error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.

·
Premium Member
10,772 Posts
Quote:
I've just tried upping the voltage to 1.30v and trying for 4.1ghz
Don't, 1.3vcore is far too high. If you could run it properly, you would instantly hit max temps and throttle on avx tests, you're doing something wrong, not sure what to say though

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Haswell OCing requires more than setting a multiplier and the vcore...

You also have to try increasing the vrin and vring voltages for example.

Try starting at 1.8 vrin (move towards 2v if not stable) and 1.1 vring (move towards 1.2v if not stable). Also keeping the uncore ratio low heps. x35 is more than enough for most cases, after getting a nice stable OC you can try and increase that. Also keep memory speeds low and timings loose. Only increase and tighten after getting a stable CPU OC.

And then there's a bunch of fine tuning to be done but vcore, vrin, vring, uncore ratio, memory speeds should be all tuning a basic OC needs aside from disabling power saving features.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot, I set my vrin, vring and vcore to what you suggested and I was able to run prime95 without a crash at 4.1ghz. From here can I just increase my clock speed and then slowly edge my voltages up?

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherOverclock View Post

Thanks a lot, I set my vrin, vring and vcore to what you suggested and I was able to run prime95 without a crash at 4.1ghz. From here can I just increase my clock speed and then slowly edge my voltages up?
increase multi until you get crashes or errors, only increase voltages after that.

And be careful with extra volts as always. Depending on the cooling solution you're on don't even try going over 1.275vcore. At first at least.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

increase multi until you get crashes or errors, only increase voltages after that.

And be careful with extra volts as always. Depending on the cooling solution you're on don't even try going over 1.275vcore. At first at least.
At what intervals should I increase vcore, vrin and vring? Also what sort of temperatures do I want to be aiming for?

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
Be sure you manually set the uncore/cache speed to 36x (don't set 35x because it'll auto-turbo to 39x or 40x when overclocking). In Auto it is likely increasing along with your core multiplier, and that can be limiting your overclock (especially if you are getting clock watchdog errors). You can also try increasing Vring to 1.1V or 1.15V.

·
Premium Member
10,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyman View Post

Do these intel cpus come with software on them that will overclock it safely without you having to do anything or possibly damage them?
A human that can react is always better than software, there's oc software with many motherboards but they are at best slightly inefficient, at worst, terrible
Quote:

At what intervals should I increase vcore, vrin and vring? Also what sort of temperatures do I want to be aiming for?
Set some vrin llc (turbo or extreme) and then just keep vrin 0.45 or 0.5v over vcore if you don't want to worry about adjusting it

Probably need increased vcore depending on crash, but i'd expect an average CPU to do something like 4.3-4.5ghz on 1.2vcore and a terrible one to do 4-4.1 on it

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
Quote:

I'm struggling to get anything stable at 4.3ghz. I've tried at 1.275v Vcore, Vring at 1.20v and Vrin and 2.00v but I still get the clock watch dog error when running Prime95.
What's your uncore/cache set at? Have you tried raising VCCIOD? Try +0.05.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just ran a test at 4.3ghz, uncore at 40, vcore at 1.31v, vring at 1.20v and vrin and 2.00v. These voltages seem high but it I haven't tried lowering them down yet, I'm stilling trying to see what my max stable speed is. At 4.3, prime95 ran for about 10 mins before blue screening, my temps were in the 80s with the occasional jump up to 90. It seemed that that core 0 was running considerably hotter than the other 3. I haven't tried using an offset yet but I will try if this next test with a lower uncore doesn't work. Also, I have all of the power saving features switched off at the moment.

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
Try it with the uncore at 36x. Just take that completely out of the equation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried the uncore at 36, if anything it crashes faster than when it's at 38, strange. I've tried pushing for 4.4ghz but I got up to 1.34v and gave up, the whole computer would crash shortly into prime95. Its a bit disappointing settling for 4.3 but I'm not sure where I can go from here.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.