Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanlegion13th View Post

what it is i have a 350D case and i want a bigger case 450d or bigger..
so if i upgrade my case i will need a new MOBO so if i am to do that i might as well upgrade CPU also and Ram PS
and sell my old rig as ive had it for 2 years.

will there not be a skylake better then a 6770k for a long time?
Why would you need a new mobo? A mATX board will fit most ATX cases, if not all.

·
technologist
4,489 Posts
What they're trying to say is, you still have a very recent CPU and you are good as far as gaming performance goes for quite some time (3-5 years probably).

Most tests are showing that the difference between Haswell and Skylake in gaming in most cases comes down to around 5% (or less) in most benchmarks published across the web. In some cases, especially with GPU bound games (the older Sleeping Dogs is a big one) there is next to no difference at all; literally the same fps.

This is even including things like DDR4 (RAM speed doesn't matter in gaming).

Most people who are going to Skylake are getting the same performance anyway, as the general trend seems to be that each new iteration of CPU since Sandy Bridge overclocks less and less. People are having trouble even hitting 4.2ghz on Skylake in a lot of cases. So, if you get a 6700k but it only does 4.2 and you had a Haswell at 4.5 then the difference is moot and the processors perform identically, for example.

If you have a really good clocking Haswell it would be recommended to keep it instead of risking getting a Skylake that can't OC worth a damn.

I think the majority of people who are going from Haswell to Skylake are doing it for the newer features of the Z170 chipset. Stuff like NVM and M.2 SSDs. It also supports USB 3.1. However, I'm unsure how much these really affect something like gaming performance. I'm a gamer so that's what I care about, aren't most of us? I'm not well versed on the newer technologies that Skylake supports so if I'm wrong, my bad. But personally, with a really well clocking Haswell I think Skylake is not worth it for me.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts

·
technologist
4,489 Posts
It gives a very, very negligible increase in performance and that increase in performance varies. I essentially said that to keep things simpler and not confuse the OP, as well as to support my points.

If you already have high speed DDR3 it probably isn't worth the investment.

It's also curious how none of the benchmarks show say, the i5 4690k with DDR3 at the same CPU clock speed for comparison.

Also, in some games like Shadow of Mordor the fps increase is around 6 fps for DDR4-2133 versus DDR4-3000. This is about 5%. Is it really worth the money to buy expensive RAM? G.skill DDR4-3000 is $284 for 8GB on Newegg. Is 5% worth almost $300? Not for me and many other people.

Of course, the increase is different/better in other games but again, cost.

The benchmarks could have included some older games, stuff like Skyrim with mods. A lot of people still play older games.

I also like how you conveniently ignore all the other points in my post.
wink.gif

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BURGER4life View Post

Why would you need a new mobo? A mATX board will fit most ATX cases, if not all.
as i have Titan X SLI and are very close together.. I have hybrid as top card nice and cool.. bottom can hit min 70s and with summer coming mite be a problem
mite just get a hybrid cooler for the bottom but my case is very cramped

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotix View Post

What they're trying to say is, you still have a very recent CPU and you are good as far as gaming performance goes for quite some time (3-5 years probably).

Most tests are showing that the difference between Haswell and Skylake in gaming in most cases comes down to around 5% (or less) in most benchmarks published across the web. In some cases, especially with GPU bound games (the older Sleeping Dogs is a big one) there is next to no difference at all; literally the same fps.

This is even including things like DDR4 (RAM speed doesn't matter in gaming).

Most people who are going to Skylake are getting the same performance anyway, as the general trend seems to be that each new iteration of CPU since Sandy Bridge overclocks less and less. People are having trouble even hitting 4.2ghz on Skylake in a lot of cases. So, if you get a 6700k but it only does 4.2 and you had a Haswell at 4.5 then the difference is moot and the processors perform identically, for example.

If you have a really good clocking Haswell it would be recommended to keep it instead of risking getting a Skylake that can't OC worth a damn.

I think the majority of people who are going from Haswell to Skylake are doing it for the newer features of the Z170 chipset. Stuff like NVM and M.2 SSDs. It also supports USB 3.1. However, I'm unsure how much these really affect something like gaming performance. I'm a gamer so that's what I care about, aren't most of us? I'm not well versed on the newer technologies that Skylake supports so if I'm wrong, my bad. But personally, with a really well clocking Haswell I think Skylake is not worth it for me.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the detailed post been helpful.. i think i will pass and try and get one more hybrid cooler should solve my problems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts